Contribute
Register

SUCCESS: Asus prime Z370-A MK II + i5-9600K + Sapphire Pulse RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at my real Mac Mini 2018 (macmini8,1) it's platform ID is 0x3E9B0007 and here it is hex swapped as directly dumped from system profiler
07009b3e (yeah ... no caps on those letters but pretend that they're capitalized)

I'd reset NVRAM after changing SMBIOS and there's a number of things you need to do whenever switching to a new SMBIOS in order for your Apple ID stuff to work. The idiots guide to iMessage has all of those steps, as I don't remember them off the top of my head. I linked that post at the bottom of my thread; also, I have a genuine macmini8,1 and can pull it's ig-platform-id
Ok, I will try to change SMBIOS to macmini 8.1 again with NVRAM resetting. As for Apple ID stuff to work. Yeah, I guess it will be simple. Just.. I don't see the reason to do it until switching to macmini 8.1 resolves my issues. If not, I don't see the difference between what am I using: macmini 8,1 or iMac 18,1.
Thanks again.

Looking at my real Mac Mini 2018 (macmini8,1) it's platform ID is 0x3E9B0007 and here it is hex swapped as directly dumped from system profiler
07009b3e (yeah ... no caps on those letters but pretend that they're capitalized)
Could you please specify what should I do with 07009b3e value? Also, I've updated my original thread. Maybe that info may be helpful?

Well, I tried to switch SMBIOS to macmini 8,1 one more time. There were no visible changes. BS wasn't smoother or something. To awake the PC I needed to manually press the monitor's power button and saw green background for two seconds. After that monitor flashed and showed the log-in page in lost scaling and 30Ghz (the same as it works without any changes are applied).

Last edited:
Try adjusting DVMT pre allocated memory in UEFI to 128 MB

Try adjusting DVMT pre allocated memory in UEFI to 128 MB
Do you mean in the BIOS settings? If so, that's what I did a ~year ago, before my first experience with Hakintosh :)

Yeah I was referring to UEFI, and it looks like you have that set up correctly.

I have to be honest, I'm not too familiar with setting up an iGPU only config on this board, as I've always had a dGPU to go with it, but based on info for the PRIME Z390-A (which is similar of course) hackintool has this prebuilt patch. It'll need to be modified to fit this board, but I think this should get you closer. I know there's a lot of needless values thrown in here, but I wanted to leave everything as is.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
        <data>BwCbPg==</data>
        <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
        <string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
        <key>device-id</key>
        <data>mz4AAA==</data>
        <key>device_type</key>
        <string>VGA compatible controller</string>
        <key>enable-hdmi20</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-busid</key>
        <data>AgAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-index</key>
        <data>AgAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-pipe</key>
        <data>CgAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-type</key>
        <data>AAgAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-index</key>
        <data>AwAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
        <data>CAAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
        <data>AAgAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con2-index</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-con2-pipe</key>
        <data>CQAAAA==</data>
        <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
        <data>AQAAAA==</data>
        <key>hda-gfx</key>
        <string>onboard-1</string>
        <key>model</key>
        <string>Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop 9 Series)</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

If possible, I'd try to grab a dGPU, as it'll make your life a lot easier. If you don't need much in the way of GPU performance, something like the RX 570 is more than enough, and will definitely be a huge upgrade over the IGPU. I'd stick with the Sapphire pulse variant of this card, as it seems Apple model'd their polaris drivers after the VBIOS found on the Pulse lineup of cards for the Radeon RX 4xx/5xx series.

Last edited:
@Aldaro
What a wonderful post! I have been struggling with trying to install Catalina on a spare drive for at least a week, have gotten to the boot screen, but then have been stumped because there is no definition of a PXSX device attached to RP03. I finally figured out that perhaps it was the ASMedia USB 3.1 hub, but have been stymied as to how to incorporate or nuke it. I'm hoping your SSDT for the XHC will fill in the blanks in my understanding.

I expect you might not have much spare time. I have ASUS TUF GAMING Z370-PLUS board, which appears to be similar to your board.. Ports HS01-HS04 are headers on the board that provide 2 pairs of USB3.1 ports for hooking up to the front panel. Disabling the 4 ports in the BIOS turns them into USB2 only, but I still see the PXSX hub at RP03 (in IOReg). In the BIOS, ports 11-14 are USB2 only ports. I've attached an IOReg file and the Clover origin directory. The XHC controller is in SSDT-4-xh_rvp08.aml.

Thank you,
Skip

Attachments

• iMac02.zip
    832 KB · Views: 53
  • origin.zip
    161.8 KB · Views: 47
@Aldaro
What a wonderful post! I have been struggling with trying to install Catalina on a spare drive for at least a week, have gotten to the boot screen, but then have been stumped because there is no definition of a PXSX device attached to RP03. I finally figured out that perhaps it was the ASMedia USB 3.1 hub, but have been stymied as to how to incorporate or nuke it. I'm hoping your SSDT for the XHC will fill in the blanks in my understanding.

I expect you might not have much spare time. I have ASUS TUF GAMING Z370-PLUS board, which appears to be similar to your board.. Ports HS01-HS04 are headers on the board that provide 2 pairs of USB3.1 ports for hooking up to the front panel. Disabling the 4 ports in the BIOS turns them into USB2 only, but I still see the PXSX hub at RP03 (in IOReg). In the BIOS, ports 11-14 are USB2 only ports. I've attached an IOReg file and the Clover origin directory. The XHC controller is in SSDT-4-xh_rvp08.aml.

Thank you,
Skip
Thank you so much! I know the post presently looks disorganized since I've restructured the thing several times at this point, but I think I've found a layout that I'm happy with, that should be flexible to accommodate things like the shift to OpenCore.

As for your ACPI tables, I took a look at them, and xh_rvp08 is pretty much identical to my board's unmodified xh_rvp08 SSDT. For the ASMedia controller, my board seems to place a fair amount of its functionality in the main DSDT instead of a separate SSDT (i.e UPC methods are defined directly in the DSDT). Here's an example
Code:
                Device (XHCI)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                    Scope (^PXSX)
                    {
                        Device (RHUB)
                        {
                            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                            Device (PRT1)
                            {
                                Name (_ADR, One)  // _ADR: Address
                                Method (_UPC, 0, Serialized)  // _UPC: USB Port Capabilities
                                {
                                    Name (UPCP, Package (0x04)
                                    {
                                        One, 
                                        0x0A, 
                                        Zero, 
                                        Zero
                                    })
                                    Return (UPCP)
                                }

Method (_PLD, 0, Serialized)  // _PLD: Physical Location of Device
                                {
                                    Name (PLDP, Package (0x01)
                                    {
                                        Buffer (0x14)
                                        {
                                            /* 0000 */  0x82, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
                                            /* 0008 */  0x69, 0xC1, 0x02, 0x04, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
                                            /* 0010 */  0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF                         
                                        }
                                    })
                                    Return (PLDP)
                                }
                            }
I know it's incomplete, but it shows how my board sets up this device. It shows up in ioreg as PXSX, which isn't really helpful, since the scope within the device XHCI is defined as PXSX. As for HS01, and some of the other ports you mentioned, they appear to pop up in SSDT-9, which is dedicated to thunderbolt if I'm not mistaken.

I think the reason you still see ports like HS01 when you disable them, is due to them being defined twice in your ACPI tables, and the UEFI's probably only disabling those ports from the XHC device, and not RHUB associated with what would be a thunderbolt controller. The reason you still see them as USB2, is due to them having _UPC methods in SSDT-9 that return TUPC, and by extension, making them technically active.

I could be way off on this one, as I'm in no way an ACPI expert, but I've been trying to become more familiar with the language itself.

Hi again,
I've gotten some ACPI code adapted from PikerAlpha's SSDT for a PCIe 2-Port ASM2142(?) card, and its now working! Code attached. I used Hackintool to create the SSDT for the XHC device (Compatible with the 8086, a2af device). He creates a custom USBInjectAll.kext, a SSDT-UIAC injector kext and a USBPorts.kext based on what I feed him on the USB tab.

Now my unsolved RP03.PXSX device is accepted by OC and the kernel panics with undefined RP05 and RP09 devices. They were there before, but I believe in fixing the first error first. Booting with Clover, many of the RPxx devices, including 5 & 9 are deleted. I think RP05 may be the clock. For sure, I need to read your guide again. I must have read at least 3 different ways to solve mapping the XHC. What finally happened was the USB-C port showed up on XHC after I created a map that had no description for port 07, and I looked at the USB map in Hackintool. The ASUS documentation said it was there, but I ignored it as I only graduated to USB3(.1) flash drives when I bought this MLB. Any hints on how to get past the RP05 and RP09 not found panics would be appreciated.

I just had a small brainstorm this morning which I'm going to pursue. Until now I've been ignoring the IGP. I tried doing something with it when I had a Haswell to no success, but I think it's easier now. Time will tell.

Attachments

• ssdt_usb-iMac18,2.dsl
    2.6 KB · Views: 46
  • SSDT-UIAC.dsl
    3.4 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back