Contribute
Register

SUCCESS: Asus prime Z370-A MK II + i5-9600K + Sapphire Pulse RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Aldaro love the guide! You helped me clean up a few things on mine.

Anyways, I'm just dropping a line to mention the need for ASMedia.kext for this board on Big Sur for when you cross that road. It drove me nuts until I saw someone on here use it. Much like @Starry48 I also created XHC2 but for my RP05. It just looks pretty.

Also, if you wanted to get full Thunderbolt (not just ICM mode) I, through the help of many others on here last year, was able to get it going with the EX3 and no flashing. Feel free to check out my guide and here's my IOJones if you wanted to poke around.

Big apologies if this is old news to you.

Cheers!

Still updating this thing...

Attachments

• NATA's iMac.iojones
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
@Aldaro love the guide! You helped me clean up a few things on mine.

Anyways, I'm just dropping a line to mention the need for ASMedia.kext for this board on Big Sur for when you cross that road. It drove me nuts until I saw someone on here use it. Much like @Starry48 I also created XHC2 but for my RP05. It just looks pretty.

Also, if you wanted to get full Thunderbolt (not just ICM mode) I, through the help of many others on here last year, was able to get it going with the EX3 and no flashing. Feel free to check out my guide and here's my IOJones if you wanted to poke around.

Big apologies if this is old news to you.

Cheers!

Still updating this thing...

Hey, thank you for pointing this out. I made the jump to Big Sur 3 weeks ago, and didn't notice anything critically wrong with the ASMedia controller, but I definitely noticed something was off. I guess it kind of just flew under the radar for me in a way, as I've been putting the finishing touches on another build. TL;DR, this project originally started out with a Z390 mobo, but I got tired of emulating NVRAM, and thought there was no way out. Of course, after getting the PRIME Z370-A, SSDT-PMC was released a few weeks later, and I found myself with a Z390 board laying around doing nothing.

Suffice to say, I saw the Comet Lake iMacs launch with T2 chips, and, knowing that these would likely be the last Intel based iMacs, I decided to do a completely new build using that Z390 board. I ended up going all out on that thing; dropping in a core i9, 64 GB of DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, a Radeon RX 5700 XT, multiple SSDs, and the absolute best air cooling that one could get for an mATX board.

Of course, I still have the Z370 build, but suffice to say tweaking my new build pretty much grabbed all my attention. I only mention the new build, because I don't want people to think I abandoned this thread, and updates are definitely on the way. I just haven't had much of a reason to jump to OC 0.6.5 on either build.

Hey, thank you for pointing this out. I made the jump to Big Sur 3 weeks ago, and didn't notice anything critically wrong with the ASMedia controller, but I definitely noticed something was off. I guess it kind of just flew under the radar for me in a way, as I've been putting the finishing touches on another build. TL;DR, this project originally started out with a Z390 mobo, but I got tired of emulating NVRAM, and thought there was no way out. Of course, after getting the PRIME Z370-A, SSDT-PMC was released a few weeks later, and I found myself with a Z390 board laying around doing nothing.

Suffice to say, I saw the Comet Lake iMacs launch with T2 chips, and, knowing that these would likely be the last Intel based iMacs, I decided to do a completely new build using that Z390 board. I ended up going all out on that thing; dropping in a core i9, 64 GB of DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, a Radeon RX 5700 XT, multiple SSDs, and the absolute best air cooling that one could get for an mATX board.

Of course, I still have the Z370 build, but suffice to say tweaking my new build pretty much grabbed all my attention. I only mention the new build, because I don't want people to think I abandoned this thread, and updates are definitely on the way. I just haven't had much of a reason to jump to OC 0.6.5 on either build.

Oh man congrats on the new build! I myself am trying to decide if I do one more hack seeing as the Mx are such a good deal for what I do.

As for the ASMEDIA controller -- I only noticed later on because I don't restart very often. It seems it has trouble shutting that controller down.

As for the ASMEDIA controller -- I only noticed later on because I don't restart very often. It seems it has trouble shutting that controller down.
Perfectly sums up my experience as well. Reboots were pretty much reserved for updates, and troubleshooting, and I'd only shutdown my hack if I knew I were going to be away from my desk for at least a day. Something I did notice was that a keyboard, or mouse could not wake the system up if they were connected to one of the ASMedia ports. I never thought too much of it since I never faced abnormal drive ejects on sleep, or other problems that'd grab my attention.

Perfectly sums up my experience as well. Reboots were pretty much reserved for updates, and troubleshooting, and I'd only shutdown my hack if I knew I were going to be away from my desk for at least a day. Something I did notice was that a keyboard, or mouse could not wake the system up if they were connected to one of the ASMedia ports. I never thought too much of it since I never faced abnormal drive ejects on sleep, or other problems that'd grab my attention.
Found the post with the explanation.

Ok well cheers and good luck not the new build.

Found the post with the explanation.

Ok well cheers and good luck not the new build.
Excellent, I'll definitely add this to the next folder, as well as update the thread's kexts ssection to include a link to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back