Contribute
Register
Worked like charm! Thanks!Steps @ basic1. Fix network cards (inject ID using DPCIManager) for both en0 (realtek) and en1 (wireless).2. Generate random serial number using Chameleon wizard.3. Clean the slate.4. Install NVRAM module5. Reboot.6. Re-setup. Update: Only problem for me was iMessage, rest everything was working fine, i suspected only step 5c to be required but ended up following the guide to rule out any irregularities.OSX 10.9.4 works fine.

Worked like charm! Thanks!Steps @ basic1. Fix network cards (inject ID using DPCIManager) for both en0 (realtek) and en1 (wireless).2. Generate random serial number using Chameleon wizard.3. Clean the slate.4. Install NVRAM module5. Reboot.6......

@badkidforums,

Always good to read another success story, i'm glad the guide was able to help you.
Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

I read your long post on the previous page and was curious about your issue. Was the WIFI card using a en0 or en1?

AFAIK ethernet must always be a en0 for iMessage to work and wifi can be en1 or 2. Could it have been possible that the wifi card took the en0 port by default for some odd reason on the first attempt?

Ive recently updated my wifi card to a native apple wifi/bluetooth and had no issues as the ethernet en0 remained the same.

So technically, whatever wifi card you use shouldn't matter, even if its been recycled.

I notice you have ASRock Z77 Mobo, I think this was one of the motherboards that suffers from the SID Bug, Have you checked your SM UUID ? - read Part 2 of the guide carefully, perform the checks, if it looks like you are suffering from a invalid uuid then perform the appropriate injection method.

Cheers
Jay

I just went through Step 2 again and even went down to Step 4 and completed it as well.

My ethernet port is set as en0 and my wireless usb adapter is set to en1. Do i need to use en0 in order to make iMessages work or something?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 11.57.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 11.57.31 AM.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 442
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 12.03.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 12.03.28 PM.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 248
@jaymonkey

I read your long post on the previous page and was curious about your issue. Was the WIFI card using a en0 or en1?

AFAIK ethernet must always be a en0 for iMessage to work and wifi can be en1 or 2. Could it have been possible that the wifi card took the en0 port by default for some odd reason on the first attempt?

Ive recently updated my wifi card to a native apple wifi/bluetooth and had no issues as the ethernet en0 remained the same.

@Wolfe81,

As with all my Gigabyte ITX builds with built in Ethernet ports, the on board NIC's were correctly identified as en0 & en1, the WiFi card was detected as en2 :-

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 10.17.52.png
I think you may have miss-understood my post, in almost all cases except this one and the previous build that the wifi card came from, I usually build my systems in my lab which has plenty of CAT5 outlets to our company network. However this time i built it in another room and could not be bothered to move to a room with CAT5/ethernet so i used the WiFi connection to initiate the iCloud & iMessage testing.

As it was brand new build obviously all critical ID's were new .. S/N , SM UUID, the two on-board ethernet MAC addresses .. etc and none were logged in Apples Database. If i had connected to iMessage using one of the ethernet ports i'm sure it would have worked fine.

But in this case i used the recycled WiFi card, its MAC address was all-ready associated with a device UUID thus causing the iMessage issue. Once i swapped out the WiFi card for a new one, iMessage started working straight away.

I've not seen this behaviour before after building 10+ Hacks, which is why i though id share the experience with others. It would suggest that Apple are using the MAC address of the currently active NIC when registering the device for the first time on Apples systems regardless of en ID.

I originally thought that Apple always used the MAC address of en0 regardless of the interface you used at the time of device registration but it would seem that this is not the case.

Note: Yesterday I built up the old H77N motherboard, CPU and wifi card in a spare chassis, restored the timemachine backup and it worked straight away (connected via wifi) indicating that the wifi card's MAC Address must still be associated with the old machines UUID/SN ?

Or at least that is what i am theorising .... if someone can provide an alternative explanation i'm all ears, if we can fully understand whats going on at Apples end we stand a better chance of resolving all iMessage issues ?

Food for though as they say ... :)
Cheers
Jay

I just went through Step 2 again and even went down to Step 4 and completed it as well.

My ethernet port is set as en0 and my wireless usb adapter is set to en1. Do i need to use en0 in order to make iMessages work or something?

Thanks

@zamdam,

Have you checked for the SID bug in your Bios ?, please see Part two of the guide.

The fix for the SID bug is step 7

Cheers
Jay

@zamdam,

Have you checked for the SID bug in your Bios ?, please see Part two of the guide.

The fix for the SID bug is step 7

Cheers
Jay

Hello again and thanks for your help.. Funny i didnt see part two way down there.. I went through it though.. but im guessing something went wrong...

my uuid was "00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009"
I saved the one that i generated with "uuidgen" in the smbios.plist file and saved it.

I think i am using chimera v 3.1 or something.. cant remember nor check it now..
I didnt have FileNVRAM.dynlib, so i downloaded it and put it in the modules folder.

I didnt have CLover either.. downloaded it and installed but but i dont think i used it for this...

I loaded up chamelon and did the random random thing.
Saved it.

I feel like this command might have broke something, maybe not.. idk
sudo nvram boot-args=""

this is what happens now when i reboot.. :/

Actually it wont reboot.. i click reboot and it goes to a black screen and just sits there until i press the reset button..
\

EDIT: I got it to boot and now boots just fine.. iMessages is now working.. Thanks for your help

Im guessing it didn't have anything to do with me going into the bios and changing the default gpu to the HD4000 instead of the GTX680.. IDK.. I switch it back and see if it breaks iMessages again.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 109
Hello again and thanks for your help..

my uuid was "00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009"

I think i am using chimera v 3.1 or something.. cant remember nor check it now..
I didnt have FileNVRAM.dynlib, so i downloaded it and put it in the modules folder.

I didnt have CLover either.. downloaded it and installed but but i dont think i used it for this...

@zamdam,

As i suspected your bios suffers from the SID bug, this was the issue stopping iMessage from working, I assume you mean Chimera 3.0.1 ? there is no Chimera 3.1 yet.

If you knew you had Chimera boot-loader, why did you download and install Clover ?, I suspect that installing clover on top of Chimera broke your boot up.

I feel like this command might have broke something, maybe not.. idk
sudo nvram boot-args=""

That command only clears the memorised osx boot flags such as -f,-x,-s ... etc, it should not effect anything else nor cause a problem, it's purely a precautionary step.

EDIT: I got it to boot and now boots just fine.. iMessages is now working.. Thanks for your help

Im guessing it didn't have anything to do with me going into the bios and changing the default gpu to the HD4000 instead of the GTX680.. IDK.. I switch it back and see if it breaks iMessages again.

I'm pleased you were able to get your system booting again and iMessage is now working, to avoid problems in the future make a backup of your /Extra folder. If you need to re-install OSX in the future, restore the /Extra folder before connecting to the internet and iMessage should continue to work. Avoid changing the injected UUID if possible. Changing the primary display adapter in the BIOS should not effect iMessage.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

I think I understand what your saying.

I recently did a reinstall of my system and en0 was recognised on my UP5TH. At this point I did not activate iCloud/iMessage. I then installed the native apple bluetooth/wifi card and disconnected the ethernet cable and restarted the computer. At this point Im only using either WIFI or USB ethernet which is allocated en2. en0 is no longer functional, but is recognised.

I sign into iMessage and it works.
According to your theory it should only work with my 'old' wifi card but it worked fine with the new one?

Unless your suggesting that regardless if en0 is being used or not, as long as its recognised by the OSX, all iMessage information comes from there. If thats the case, then the wifi card won't matter?

Maybe switch the two WIFI cards you have between two different computers that already have it working and see if it still works?

@zamdam,

As i suspected your bios suffers from the SID bug, this was the issue stopping iMessage from working, I assume you mean Chimera 3.0.1 ? there is no Chimera 3.1 yet.

If you knew you had Chimera boot-loader, why did you download and install Clover ?, I suspect that installing clover on top of Chimera broke your boot up.Jay

Thats right, its 3.0.1. Yeah, i should've paid a little more attention. Its weird how it started booting again and all i did was use the Unibeast install usb i created to boot to Mavericks and then reinstalled Chimera 3.0.1.. Then it rebooted fine.

That command only clears the memorised osx boot flags such as -f,-x,-s ... etc, it should not effect anything else nor cause a problem, it's purely a precautionary step.Jay

Gothcha

I'm pleased you were able to get your system booting again and iMessage is now working, to avoid problems in the future make a backup of your /Extra folder. If you need to re-install OSX in the future, restore the /Extra folder before connecting to the internet and iMessage should continue to work. Avoid changing the injected UUID if possible. Changing the primary display adapter in the BIOS should not effect iMessage.

Cheers
Jay

Will do and thanks for all your help.

One more question, should i remove the EFI and the EFI-Backups folder from the root of the Mavericks install hard drive?

Thanks

Back