Contribute
Register
Ok, eventually it worked, even facetime :) So, really, the best solution is to call Apple Support, even with fake SN...just handle the conversation properly, speak about other apple products you have, etc, it will be fine

Jay,

Thanks for continuing to walk me through this! I downloaded MacTracker and it looks like iMac14,2 is the one for me. It is the closest to the actual CPU speed and chipset that I can find. Question now is how does OSX optimize itself once I select a new "Premade SMBioses", or more to the point is there anything I have to do beside select a new "Premade SMBioses" and generate new S/N, remove nvram.uuid.plist and perform step 4 again? Those steps I have to perform for iMessage, but are there other steps I have to perform to optimize it correctly?

I also thought that I selected Mac Pro 3,1 because one of the guides said that was the safest selection. Is there any truth to that assumption (not sure where I saw that nugget of information) Your suggestion to match you chipset and CPU makes sense to me, however this is a hackingtosh and matching a new system with an made up S/N might cause apple to get squirrelly?

Jeff

Jeff,

You don't have to do anything other than set the System type to 14,2, i use this myself on a GA-Z87N-WiFi (be sure to use mutilbeast 6.22 audio).

The optimisations take place at a kenel level, thats the whole point of the flag. Mac3.1 is the safest bet for older cpu..such as sandy & Ivy bridge, as these were closely matched to the last version of the mac Pro around 2010, since then ivy and Haswell cpu's have been released with quite a few more features, OSX will only use the newer features if the system type is set to a system that would have those features on a real iMac, MackBook .. etc.

Cheers
Jay

Obviously the support you were dealing with were much better then "my" lot. As I got nowhere

sebus

Tried pretty much everything, including fixing SID bug and changing my iCloud password right after, but still getting "An error occurred during activation. Try again"

Went through step 4, tied to fix ROM value (to replace <00000>). Rebooted after injecting ROM, but after reboot ROM came back to 0 again. Was not able to login iMessage neither before reboot (after injecting ROM value), nor after.

Interesting fact is that MLB shows 16 characters instead of 17. Could it be the case? Would really appreciate your help as I completely ran out of the ideas.

GA-Z77X-UP5TH is my mobo

Thanks,
Alex

I had the same issues -- nothing worked -- until I turned off UEFI in the Bios and set it to boot to legacy only...once I did this, i went through all the steps again...had to add the SMsystemuuid to the smbios.plist...and then I was good to go...

So tonight I just got kicked out of iMessage and FaceTime after rebooting. I'm not having any problems with iTunes at all. I reset my Network and the network interface plist, but nothing.

When I try to sign into FaceTime it asks me to choose which contact method people should use (email or phone number), and when I click "next" I end up back on the login screen.

Maybe I just need to call Apple and hope for the best...

So I just called Apple and gave them all my details, primarily my Apple ID and my MultiBeast generated Serial Number.

I got passed around a couple of times, and two people made specific mention that my Serial Number was not right. They asked me what kind of computer I had, and I went with what "About this Mac" actually says - an early, 2008 Mac Pro. I told them I bought it used, and one guy said that maybe I got a "Hackintosh."

One person posted earlier that he was honest with the support person about running a Hack, and I debated that route. Ultimately I just went with being ignorant about technology. To Apple's credit, the guy on the phone said that even though the serial number doesn't make sense, that's not the goal of this call.

Which leads me to this... He got iMessage and FaceTime working!

He had to do something on his end, but he released it out so now I'm back up and running.

Jeff,

You don't have to do anything other than set the System type to 14,2, i use this myself on a GA-Z87N-WiFi (be sure to use mutilbeast 6.22 audio).

The optimisations take place at a kenel level, thats the whole point of the flag. Mac3.1 is the safest bet for older cpu..such as sandy & Ivy bridge, as these were closely matched to the last version of the mac Pro around 2010, since then ivy and Haswell cpu's have been released with quite a few more features, OSX will only use the newer features if the system type is set to a system that would have those features on a real iMac, MackBook .. etc.

Cheers
Jay

Jay,

I'm hoping I'm on the final stretch here. I decided that I would double check some stuff before trying iMessage again. This is after I set my SMBios to 14,2 and got a new S/N and deleted the nvram.uuid.plist from /Extra and rebooted. Everything looks good until I ran imessage_debug. At which point I see that the MLB still has the old S/N in it. How do I fix that?

Also when you say use the mutilbeast 6.22 audio, what exactly should I be selecting? I'm also curious if I should just run multibeast all over again, like choose 14,2, ALC892 audio?, USB 3.0, enable trim.. which I see has been updated to a new version for 10.9.4 with the latest multibeast! Or do I just select enable trim ALC892 audio build and install?

Jeff

Jay,

I'm hoping I'm on the final stretch here. I decided that I would double check some stuff before trying iMessage again. This is after I set my SMBios to 14,2 and got a new S/N and deleted the nvram.uuid.plist from /Extra and rebooted. Everything looks good until I ran imessage_debug. At which point I see that the MLB still has the old S/N in it. How do I fix that?

@jborn,

The order you do things is critical, if you remove the plist then clear the boot args before rebooting the file will be re-created as you have forced a change of NVRAM variables. It could be that the NVRAM plist was not updated after you changed your System Type & S/N.

Please see Part-1, Step5e of the Guide, Step 5e. I've re-written this procedure to clarify how to reset the FileNVRAM plist.

Once you have done this reboot and check values via iMessage Debug. If MLB or ROM value is incorrect re-inject using terminal or direct plist edit. Reboot and check again.

Also when you say use the mutilbeast 6.22 audio, what exactly should I be selecting? I'm also curious if I should just run multibeast all over again, like choose 14,2, ALC892 audio?, USB 3.0, enable trim.. which I see has been updated to a new version for 10.9.4 with the latest multibeast! Or do I just select enable trim ALC892 audio build and install?

Its due to a bug introduced by apple in OSX 10.9.3 if you use the latest multibeast audio injection method (uses boot-time dynlib hda enabler) then you may have issues with audio after sleep. To avoid this use the audio injection from multibeast 6.2.2 until a fix is found. Use the latest multibeast for everything else.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/announcements/139532-multibeast-6-4-2-update.html

Cheers
Jay

Back