Contribute
Register
When I open Messages I get a grey log in window. I try to log in and then it says:

Code:
Your Apple ID ********* can't be used to set up iMessage at this time.

If this is a new Apple ID, you do not need to create another one. To use this Apple ID with iMessage, contact iMessage support with the code below.

Customer Code: ********

I've tried to delete all plists and folders mentioned in Cache and Preferences in STEP 4. I have not been able to delete all the files. I've also tried deleting the security plist but I have been unable to, even after stopping the mentioned security processes.

@pier25,

If you get the iMessage alert asking you to contact Apple with a customer code then thats what you must do, the issues is at Apples end not yours. There is nothing you can do locally to resolve that message other than to generate completely new ID's (Sm-UUID, S/N MLB, ROM ... etc) for your system and associate it with a new AppleID, which is not an option for most users.

I think i need to make this a bit clearer in the guide, i'll look into it ...

If you are still getting the same message then call Apple, please see the many success stories posted in the last few weeks from users who have contacted Apple, on the whole most people find Apple helpful and will lift the block on your AppleID as long as you own at least one legit Apple Device associated with the AppleID.

If your not getting the customer code alert I would undo everything you have done (restore time machine) and get back to the iMessage alert with the customer code and then call Apple.

Cheers
Jay

Update: I've added a note about the above to the beginning of the guide

New to this thread, so first let me say wow! and huge thanks to every person here, especially the author of the OP. This is a very comprehensive thread and just another reason why this community is so awesome! :clap:

On to my issues. I have been using iMessage without issues for the past 3 months then yesterday noticed that I was listed as "offline" in all my conversations. I could not alter this so I quit iMessage and then re-opened at which point I was prompted to log in. When I put in my AppleID and password, it then churns for a few seconds and I get the following message:

"Could not sign into iMessage. An error occurred during activation. Try again."

I am also unable to log in to FaceTime. App Store is working fine.

I am still able to log into iMessage on my Macbook Pro (mid-2012).

I am at step 4 now in the OP (removing iMessage Setup Data). I have found all of the folders and files (including the security ones) that I am instructed to delete. I have them in my Trash now but I cannot empty trash. I have opened up Activity Monitor and tried to kill "securityd_service" and "securityd" but they immediately re-appear in the list. When i try to empty trash it says that none of those files (not just the security ones, but all the iMessage and ichat, etc as well) can be deleted because they are in use.

I have double checked that iMessage and FaceTime are not running. I have also closed the finder window that I was using to navigate to the files in the first place. Not sure what else could be using them and therefore keeping me from deleting them. Anyone have any suggestions or see something I am doing wrong? Thanks all!

I'm at a loss. I needed to reinstall The latest Mavericks because I screwed up my previous install. Now, I can't get iMessage to work. Nothing I do seems to work. I was following random suggestions and following this thread out of order, but now I'm going to follow this guide meticulously, one step at a time. However, when I get to the step where I must make sure all my devices are built-in, when I add the device-properties to my boot plist, all I get is a black screen on boot (I boot into osx but have no video). Any ideas (taking off this boot flag gives me video again)? By the way, the error I'm getting is "an error occurred during activation. Please try again."

My wifi card is a TPLink WDN4800, and I installed without Ethernet cable connected (only wifi). However, after setting up and installing lnx2mac driver, I did the fixes to get my Ethernet to be en0. Should I reinstall with the wifi card removed (I could have sworn that I've reinstalled with the wifi card inside before, though)?

Just wanted to say that I also had this same issue, and the contact apple with customer code came up. I checked everything else, and it all looked good. So I contacted apple online first from my registered real mac, and had them call me. I wrote a brief description of what was happening. The girl verified my apple id, and literally within about 10 sec, I was able to log in. Don't be scared of Apple Care guys! They are the only ones able to unlock this, once you have checked all the other steps.

Good Luck to all!

Just wanted to say that I also had this same issue, and the contact apple with customer code came up. I checked everything else, and it all looked good. So I contacted apple online first from my registered real mac, and had them call me. I wrote a brief description of what was happening. The girl verified my apple id, and literally within about 10 sec, I was able to log in. Don't be scared of Apple Care guys! They are the only ones able to unlock this, once you have checked all the other steps.

Good Luck to all!
Did you have my problem?

Edit :
My iCloud, iTunes, and App Store are working perfectly (including logging in).

I'm at a loss. I needed to reinstall The latest Mavericks because I screwed up my previous install. Now, I can't get iMessage to work. Nothing I do seems to work. I was following random suggestions and following this thread out of order, but now I'm going to follow this guide meticulously, one step at a time.

I did the fixes to get my Ethernet to be en0. Should I reinstall with the wifi card removed (I could have sworn that I've reinstalled with the wifi card inside before, though)?

@carltom46,

Its very difficult to put the guide into an order that will work for everybody as not everyone has the same issues at the same time. I've tried to put as much info and advice into the guide as i can. Its not really meant as a step by step guide, think of it as a tool box. You really need to read it - start to finish at least once and try and understand the mechanisms that make iMessage tick. Armed with this knowledge you should be able to work through and resolve each issue with the appropriate tool.

Its probably that at some point you will get the message to contact apple with a customer code. Once you get that do not try to fix it, everything is working at that stage but due to the many reasons explained in the guide your AppleID may have have had a device lock put on it at which point you should contact them as detailed in the guide.

If things don't work the first time, don't give up take a look at the posts between myself and Jborn over the last few pages for an example of how to keep plugging away at it. If you can try and get things working using Ethernet to begin with. Once iMessage is working try the WiFi.

Cheers
Jay

sir, i entered the iMessage but now in the iMessage settings i see my account [email protected] (Not Active)
and i cant send any message to any address

any idea?

Dear jaymonkey,
I write you to ask if my system ID is correct (for the imessage bug).

system-id, Data, <00 02 xx xx 00 04 xx xx 00 06 00 xx 00 08 00 09>

I have followed all the steps of part-1 of your guide ( thanks very much for the help), and now since nothing worked I have start looking at part2...

BTW iMessagge is working only half...it recieves and sinchronize the messages, but doesn't allow me to send messages from my hackintosh.

thanks for the help

best regards

Good Luck to all!

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread.

I was receiving the "could not connect to imessage with this apple id" message and getting the code to give to customer support.

I did exactly as described - reached out for support from my real macbook pro and had them call me. When I got to the rep, I played stupid saying I couldn't sign into imessage. As soon as I mentioned that it's giving me a code to give to imessage support - she said "Oh the code! Alright, just let me get my stuff together here, I'm gonna need that code."

I gave her the code and not 3 seconds after giving her the last number did she say "Alright go ahead and sign in, you should be good!"

Whatever the lock is, the support team isn't interested in verifying whether or not you're experiencing the imessage issue on the same serial number you called in with. They do ask to verify your apple ID, but I'm not sure if they're cross referencing it with your devices SN.

Anyway, I'm back up and running.

I too the other day could not log into iMessage after a year of flawless service. I did a chat with Apple Customer Care yesterday but that was long and drawn out with no help. He had me update to 10.9.4 which I have been pushing off for months now. Updated, lost sound, downloaded MB latest version. Got my sound working but then I did something which I am not sure what but could not boot back into my OS as I was getting a selection for the HDD and then a quick Apple logo which would reboot the computer.

I sorted it out with Multibeast and USB stick so that i could log in. Long story short, called Apple, customer service rep came on and asked for my serial. I gave them my wife's iMac serial. They said that they would connect me with an Apple Care rep. Was on hold for a few minutes and then it disconnected. I called back, automated message asked if i was calling about the same issue in which I said yes. Service rep came on, asked me what was the issue, told him about the iMessage login issue. After 15 seconds he asked me for the code, he told me to log in and voila, it worked instantly.

I didn't try any of the suggestions on the guide as I was getting the contact support message from the get go. I believe if you get this then you don't have to keep digging and possibly mess it up. If I read correctly, a properly configured system will get you the contact apple message. Nothing more you can do except contact Apple.

If you have a serial of any Mac, call them up and use that serial. Good luck to everyone and thanks for the guides and suggestions.

Back