Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, i got the Intel SSD 750 to boot with the generic nvme drivers you get from macvidcards.com. Just put them in your clover efi and you are good to go! Tested on Asus RIVE X79. Limited speed to 400mb per sec, dunno why though. But bootable.

-241215: If you use less USB ports the speed of the intel pci-e card got up from 400mb read to 580 mb read.

Ggeorge,
You followed this guide exactly as instructed for the R4E with the 3930k and it didn't work? I ask because you've listed some old/chameleon only boot arguments in your post. The only boot args you need are in the config.plists already. The Bluetooth message is irrelevant. The one that is relevant is "still waiting for root device". Clover doesn't see a installer to boot. Either your USB stick is bad or it's not connected to a proper USB 2 port or your bios USB 2 settings are wrong or you didn't use the correct acpi files. Also, what bios are you on?

I've tried at least 5-6 different sticks USB 2 and USB 3 anything from 8-32 gb on both USB 2/3 and a USB hub. So I was reasonably certain that wasn't it.

I listed a bunch of the boot args I tried, since "I've tried all the common boot flags" didn't seem to be clear enough. I know a bunch of them are obsolete or irrelevant to 10.11.

Is the cpus=1 not necessary with your method?

I'm on BIOS 4901.

I know, the bluetooth wasn't the important error, but figured I should give that as part of the description.

I did miss the ACPI step and the ssd9, so you nailed that in one.

I had thought they were for the 10.10 and 10.9 notes. Also none of the other methods I was using did anything like that, which is probably why they weren't working.

I've fixed that and I've gotten through installation. I screwed something up wt the dsdt step, but it's working pretty well without it and I can fix that later.

Thanks, that was the major stumbling block.

Hiya fellas,

Well after many many attempts when El Capitan came out without any success, i gave up. But now a few months down the road I gave this guide another try this evening and BAM it worked straight away! Shilohh excellent update to the guide and all the hard work you guys put into fixing the nags. :thumbup:

Shilohh's Build for Eric:
i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB GSkill Ram - GTX 770 4GB
Clover bootloader

Updated for El Capitan.
Updated to work with the Rampage IV Black Edition because the R4E has limited availability now. Users of other Asus X79 boards except for the X79D, can try the R4E files but no guarantees for now.

IMPORTANT: Read this if you are updating.
NOTE: I dramatically changed the the files we are using now. All kexts but 1 are now kept in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/[OS Versions] and clover injects them at boot time instead of loading from SLE. Also, Your DSDT created with older patch lists are not compatible with the new ACPI files. I added most all of the fixes from the DSDT patch list to SSDT-0.aml (revogirl & PikeRAlpha's tiny SSDT method) which will be active at every boot allowing all the fixed devices to be functional without having to create a DSDT first. This is now a necessity as we have to fix the USB devices before we can boot El Capitan from a USB 2 port. I still recommend creating a DSDT using the included "DSDT stripper" patch list as it fixes IRQ conflicts which may cause internal USB 2 headers not to work or other erratic behavior but everything else will be fixed by SSDT-0.aml. The DSDT stripper may only be compatible with the newest BIOSs for the R4E (v4901) and R4BE (v801) so you may need to update your BIOS. If you are updating from anything below El Capitan (10.11.0) or just want to use the new files, do the following before installing the update or files:

1) Delete HWMonitor.app from the /Applications folder because each version is only compatible with it's exact version of the sensors that are contained in the FakeSMC.kext.

2) Delete fakeSMC.kext, and any other kexts that were installed to /System/Library/Extensions in your previous install (I think I color coded all of them from the 10.9/10.10 guides). Make sure there are no kexts on the desktop and run "KextBeast" to rebuild caches.

3) Update Clover by downloading and installing the newest stable release.

4) Mount your boot drive's EFI partition and delete your old DSDT.aml from EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched.

5) Back up your config.plist. Add the new files contained in the attached zip. See step 8c. Copy your custom Serial number and UUID from your old config.plist to your new one.

6) Restart holding the "delete" key to enter the BIOS. Navigate to “Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration >” and set ALL the "Asmedia USB 3.0 Controllers" to "Disabled".

159775-151029004505.jpg

In the image above you'll see that I have E5/6 enabled on my R4BE. Be safe. Disable all USB 3.0 at least until you've updated successfully then experiment if you like. I get an instant kernel panic if I boot with anything plugged in to the E56 ports.

7) Install El Capitan.

step 7 I use directly update from Mac App Store when finished download my system auto restart but I can't see any progress bar about updating software it's just normal restart to the desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:
step 7 I use directly update from Mac App Store when finished download my system auto restart but I can't see any progress bar about updating software it's just normal restart to the desktop.
In clover's GUI do you see an option that says Install Mac OS X? If so choose to boot from that and the install should continue

In clover's GUI do you see an option that says Install Mac OS X? If so choose to boot from that and the install should continue

Thank you shiloh I solved this issues already but after install I can't login to iTune

I did it step by step and very make sure not wrong in anything but not work

Code:
Nuke-Stations-Mac-Pro:~ nukestation$ nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB
4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB	C02140302D5DMT31M
Nuke-Stations-Mac-Pro:~ nukestation$ nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM	%ac"%0b%c7=%db

config.plist
Code:
<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>C02140302D5DMT31M</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>ac220bc73Ddb</string>

Happy to report that my inateck 5 port + 1 20 pin header USB 3.0 card works OOB. I have my 2 front case ports connected to the 20pin header giving me a total of 7 functioning USB 3 ports. Doubt they'll all give full speed performance at once but it does give some more flexibility. No time for speed tests tonight.

View attachment 159497

View attachment 159496

My case is getting a bit cramped. All my PCI slots are now occupied or covered by the GPUs.
View attachment 159498

7 USB3/USB2 flash drives plugged in, mounted, and functioning through this card.
View attachment 159499

View attachment 159502View attachment 159503View attachment 159504

Samsung 830 Pro 128GB SSD connected through USB3.0 to SATA adapter to inateck USB3.0 ports or case ports through the 20pin header:
View attachment 159783

Shilohh,

Unfortunately I can't get this PCI card here in the Netherlands.
I think I found an alternative brand (also with the Vli chip!). I've ordered this one and will let you know if it works.

http://www.delock.com/produkte/F_319_USB-3-0_89315/merkmale.html

Will i need to install any kext to get the card running out of the box?

Thanks.

Quick question. I keep getting the Christmas clover theme at startup. Is this normal? I have personalized my theme in the confit.plist and even when I manually select another theme from the gui it keeps defaulting back to the Christmas theme at restart. Is there some code that is doing this?:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back