Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Shilohh!

First and foremost thank you and this community for the amazing work you have done. With a bit of research some much info can be found in this thread. The build went very well (same components as yours), great detailed instructions. System running fine, was editing after 2 days of installations. On Yosemite 10.10.4

The only issue I have is that the system refuses to overclock. I've patched the DSDT with the DSDT Stripper 4 Device SSDT.txt, and deleted SSDT-0.aml so it doesn't conflict with the new DSDT but can't overclock at all. Tried a bunch of stuff from the ROG OC guides nothing works, even at a mild OC. The system either stalls during boot at the Mac OS logo, or boots with the basic 3.4Ghz and 1333Mhz

Any ideas?

Thanks again!
Listo.

It works great for me. All my ASMedia USB3 ports (4) work perfectly and my Fresco Logic Fl1100 PCIe card working perfect no issues. I don't want to swap out my X79 Sabertooth for the X79-deluxe right now to see how 10.11.2 and the Generic driver combination does for that Kernel Panic. Getting a hold of tom5151 who had the same kernel panic maybe he will give that driver a try.

I am curious as to how its working on your board Shilohh not sure if you are willing to try it just to see.
Just tried RehabMan's build 1.2.11 and it works perfectly. I am still leery to recommend it to noobs as the genericusbxhci kext has broken so many times with OS X updates. If anyone else wants to try it, update to 10.11.2 and place it in the 10.11 kexts folder in the EFI partition. Then enable your disabled controllers in the BIOS.

Hi Shilohh!

First and foremost thank you and this community for the amazing work you have done. With a bit of research some much info can be found in this thread. The build went very well (same components as yours), great detailed instructions. System running fine, was editing after 2 days of installations. On Yosemite 10.10.4

The only issue I have is that the system refuses to overclock. I've patched the DSDT with the DSDT Stripper 4 Device SSDT.txt, and deleted SSDT-0.aml so it doesn't conflict with the new DSDT but can't overclock at all. Tried a bunch of stuff from the ROG OC guides nothing works, even at a mild OC. The system either stalls during boot at the Mac OS logo, or boots with the basic 3.4Ghz and 1333Mhz

Any ideas?

Thanks again!
Listo.
If you used the files downloaded from the current link in the original post, you need SSDT-0 and SSDT-9 at least. Only my old DSDT patch lists will conflict with SSDT-0. If you are on any version of 10.10 or older, make sure you don't use SSDT-8 (fixes USB2 for 10.11).

If you used the files downloaded from the current link in the original post, you need SSDT-0 and SSDT-9 at least. Only my old DSDT patch lists will conflict with SSDT-0. If you are on any version of 10.10 or older, make sure you don't use SSDT-8 (fixed USB2 for 10.11).

Hum... Still can't do any overclocking, no matter how light. I re-installed from scratch last night and redid the DSDT following your instructions closely. I suspect that Migration Assistant imported some unwanted kexts from my old system, there's way too many kexts in the SLE! Where could I see an image of what's proper for 10.10.4?

Thanks for the help!

Listo

Attachments

• TooManyKexts.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
Hey listo,

NullCPUPM is probably the culprit.

I'm not sure what kexts should or shouldn't be in SLE based on your hardware and software installed. I did spot the following obvious hack related kexts that should be deleted from /S/L/E

AHCI_3rdPrty_SATA.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext (old version)
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
my Hack.kext

Rebuild your caches after deleting and before rebooting or boot without caches from the clover GUI. you may also delete /Extra and all of its contents now that you're using Clover as EFI. If you still can't OC, post all of your bios settings.

Hey listo,

NullCPUPM is probably the culprit.

I'm not sure what kexts should or shouldn't be in SLE based on your hardware and software installed. I did spot the following obvious hack related kexts that should be deleted from /S/L/E

AHCI_3rdPrty_SATA.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext (old version)
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
my Hack.kext

Rebuild your caches after deleting and before rebooting or boot without caches from the clover GUI. you may also delete /Extra and all of its contents now that you're using Clover as EFI. If you still can't OC, post all of your bios settings.

Thanks for your reply Shilohh.

Deleted the kexts you mentioned above and had already deleted the EXTRAS folder and other Chameleon related files. I have a DSDT (following your guide) and SSDT-0 and SSDT-9 in APCI/patched.
Still won't OC, not with Eric's BIOS, nor with a simple OC (using the multiplier, rest mostly in auto) following the ROG guides. RAM is one kit 68GB GSkill F3-1700CL11Q2 2133Mhz , 11-11-11-31.

Any ideas?

Listo

Thanks for your help Shilohh!

Well as soon as I touch the RAM settings the system won't post. I've tried leaving the CPU multiplier at auto and just getting the RAM to boot at 2133MHz giving more VCORE and VCCSA but no luck. When I just use the multiplier (44 or 45) and leave the RAM at 1333Mhz and the rest in auto it runs fine, but I'm not getting all the performance I could get out of the RAM.

DSDT or SSDT issue?

Listo

Attachments

• With XMP at 2133.zip
    514.7 KB · Views: 74
Have any of you with this build ever tried run Windows Virtual Machine with VMWare or Parallel Desktops? If so, how's the speed? Somehow, virtual machine under my X99 board runs really slow. I'm thinking of build another with this build if the VM runs as it should.

Well as soon as I touch the RAM settings the system won't post. I've tried leaving the CPU multiplier at auto and just getting the RAM to boot at 2133MHz giving more VCORE and VCCSA but no luck. When I just use the multiplier (44 or 45) and leave the RAM at 1333Mhz and the rest in auto it runs fine, but I'm not getting all the performance I could get out of the RAM.

DSDT or SSDT issue?

Listo

Do not think this has something to do with ACPI, since these things are not even in effect before POST.

Could be more an issue with RAM timings, maybe you have to loosen them a bit, or try to run at 1866 MHz.

But seriously RAM performance is way overrated, so if you are aiming for real life performance and stability - and not just numbers - I wouldn't try to max RAM settings at all costs if I were you. Even if your RAM runs at 50% more (nominal!) speed, that only translates to a few percent overall performance, if at all. Its similar with PCI bus speeds.

I would rather aim for relative voltage overclocking, that should give your CPU much more life, well if you care about such things that is ;)

DSDT or SSDT issue?

Listo
No. If you can't POST, it's a hardware problem. All CPU samples are different. If your 4930K can't run 2133 with given voltages but someone else's can, it's probably because your CPU has a weaker Integrated Memory Controller. It could also be a problem with the motherboard or ram or even just the BIOS settings. I found that I can't change "DIGI + Power Control > CPU Current Capability" to anything but "Auto" on my R4BE but I could on my R4E. If I select 120%, I lose stability and panic while OS X is loading even though my VCORE was set way under 120%. The point is that any 1 setting could throw things off so only make 1 change at a time before testing it.

Intel only warrants that the CPU will work at stock frequencies but they leave the K series unlocked so that you may see if you can get it to go farther. Ram manufacturers only warranty that the ram will run at XMP overclocked frequencies with the voltages and timings dictated by the XMP profile, but they usually specify a VCCSA much higher than intel or Asus recommend. They don't have to warranty the CPU life, just their ram. You can probably run VCCSA and VTT much lower if your CPU's IMC is strong. Higher voltage = higher heat, which = faster degradation, but more stability at higher frequencies.

Clone your boot drive before proceeding. An unstable OC can corrupt data (like your boot drive's file system). The machine can then act like it's unstable (like popping off while the OS is loading) when it actually could be stable. Fixing a corrupt file system can be tough if not impossible.

I recommend that you do a CMOS reset, "Load Optimized Defaults" and choose the basic BIOS settings outlined in the guide. Save this as a OC profile that you can load and revert to easily. I also recommend hooking up your Asus "OC Panel" or "OC Key", if you have it, to monitor voltages because HWMonitor currently shows 1/2 of actual vcore for "CPU Core" and "Memory Modules" is definitely not accurate. "CPU Core" temps seem to be accurate but but "Ambient" is actually the approximate CPU TCase or "CPU Temperature" in the BIOS's "Temperature Monitor". Start by setting only the XMP profile for your RAM in the "Ai Overclock Tuner" and stress test. For my stress test, I run prime95 torture test customized to use 59000MB of RAM (Because I have a 64GB kit. Leave about 5-6GB free for the OS). If you can't POST or run stress tests for at least 5 or 10 min without errors or crashing, try 1866 or 1600. Once you've settled on a frequency, record the voltages and timings specified by the XMP profile in SPD info on the Tool page. Switch from XMP to manual and set those voltages and timings manually. Stress again. If stable, drop VCCSA and VTT to 1.15 volts and stress again. If you crash or get errors, raise them by .010 volts. Repeat until you find the lowest stable voltage at that frequency. NOTE that Asus recommends that you stay below 1.200 volts for VCCSA to avoid damaging the integrated memory controller (IMC). I'm stable at 1.15 for for VCCA and VTT at 2133.

Once your RAM OC is set and stable, move on to CPU multiplier and VCORE. Start at a VCORE of 1.29 and see how hot your CPU cores get while running prime95 torture test for up to 20 min. If you get to 80c or above, I'd back off the vcore until you reach a max temp that you are comfortable with. Intel specifies a max Tcase of 66.8c. Tcase (Case Temperature) is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) and is usually 5-15c cooler than Core temps. I shoot for a average max temp of 75c (Core temps) with very short spikes up to 79c. Next, see how high you can raise the multiplier before you crash or get errors on the workers in prime95, then drop the multiplier by 1 increment. Once you've got that, you can now try to match your VCORE voltage and max core temps with offset instead of manual VCORE at full load (or just stick with manual if you prefer). Offset allows your vcore to throttle down with less load so your CPU can run cooler and use less power based on less load.

Last do a long stress test. For my long stress test, I run prime95 torture test customized to use all but 6000MB of your RAM and Unigen Heaven simultaneously for about 3 hours. Then I do a overnight run of memtest86 (NOT the older mac app but the new UEFI bootable USB stick) on multicore for 2 passes. Ignore a small amount of errors on the New Row Hammer Test as you probably won't find any high speed, high capacity, non-ECC ram kit that will pass this test without at least a couple errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back