Contribute
Register
ok so after reading this thread for a couple of days ... and trying a couple of fixes ... I am still no better off ...

i) Still using Chameleon bootloader (do I have to change to Clover?)
ii) Updated to a new SN based on a more appropriate Model match to my CPU i5 2500k
iii) Created and injected new System Id based on the version of Chameleon I am using

However my problem is a failed ROM & MLB... am I right in saying there is currently no way to successfully Generate these Codes and inject into NVRAM ?

@Wilky13 & All,

I'm not going to to answer that question directly ...... what i can tell you is that some users have been successful at generating a working 13 digit MLB by using one from a genuine Mac which they own and modifying certain elements of the MLB ...... the best advice I can give is read the linked 'Patten of MLB' thread carefully and understand the 13 Digit MLB format ...... apply what you learn .....

However, there is something very important to remember .... this method runs the risk of generating a MLB that could potentially match someone else's real Mac's MLB and there is no, known way of checking if that MLB is unique ... so this may or may-not become a problem.

Obviously any working MLB Generator could potentially do the same ....

If Apple are storing the MLB & ROM as a matched pair and generating a checksum .... something like what the customer code is then the chances are that your ROM will be unique even if the MLB is not - so the result should still be valid and unique (if whitelisted)

If Apple are checking for just cloned MLB's then the chance is there ..... and that's going to cause issues for you and the unfortunate other party who won't have a clue whats happened ? - If someone wants to calculate the odds and post it i'm sure we'd all be interested ... but if it becomes too common then it's only going to end badly again.

There is still no clear evidence that a Apple formatted ROM value is currently required, many users are still having success using a ethernet MAC address from their Hack as their ROM value .. but this maybe changing.

We now know that any generated MLB & ROM values need to be white listed by calling customer services ... as the escalation in the use of cloned MLB values towards the end of 2014 proved, if Apple start getting a lot more iMessage activations ... it will inevitably lead them to enhance the iMessage validation protocols again ... my guess is the ROM value would be targeted and given similar validation protocols as the MLB now has (must be Apple and follow a defined patten)

So remember it's going to be Cat and Mouse from now on .. please use common sense .... if you get a working set of values keep them and use them for the life of the Hack including future software and hardware upgrades. Do as much testing of your systems off-line as possible if experimenting with ID's.

The more times Apple sees unusual activation requests against the same AppleID the grater the chance is that they implement some sort of full AppleID Account blocking or worse .... so do everything you can to limit detectable ID changes.

! Think before you Clone !

A message for all mankind ...... not just us Hackingtosher's ...

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Thanks of the info, Jay!

You bring up a good point. Even if 'we' get a good 17 digit MLB generator, there is a chance the number it comes up with may match a legit one. Would suck for some pure schmuck in Toledo, OH brand new iMac15,1's iMessage to stop working because I am using the same MLB as him!

2 conclusions:
1) hopefully Apple combines the MLB & ROM values together to a unique string for authentication reasons (if everyone uses their Ethernet MAC for their ROM, no one will ever have a duplicate authentication code)
2) If #1 does't happen I may need to go back to using MacPro3,1 for my SMBIOS (like you said, there are probably less MacPro3,1 in use today then iMac15,1s)

@bennynihon,

At the moment that is the only real guaranteed method of activating iMessage on a Hack .. but its a grey area and the decision is down to the individual, hopefully common sense will prevail ...

Out of curiosity, how does one get the remaining values from their genuine Mac such as Firmware Features, the full BIOS version, BIOS Release Date, Location in Chassis, etc. that are not spit out by imessagedebug?

UPDATE: Just created a Linux boot drive and ran dmidecode

That's why if you look at various forums including the clover wiki, you should hit shake on the generated values several times. The chance of getting a authentic MLB is slim to none. As far as the ROM, I doubt I will duplicate the ROM, since it's based on my MAC card. So unless the manufacturer goofed, I will NEVER have a duplicate ROM (1 out of 281.5 trillion addresses) save for external circumstance.
My SN is made up too. It follows the apple rules and is based on MLB. I checked it against apples SN database and it wasnt found. Can someone else generate my SN? Im sure its possible. But I think winning the lottery is possible too. Very high odds, but its possible.

Absolutely, statistically it's nearly impossible. But I'm also concerned long term for a viable fool proof solution, and if I have a broken Mac then I'd much prefer to just clone that entirely. It's amazing to me that Apple allows one to call up and add a fake S/N to their whitelist database.

Absolutely, statistically it's nearly impossible. But I'm also concerned long term for a viable fool proof solution, and if I have a broken Mac then I'd much prefer to just clone that entirely. It's amazing to me that Apple allows one to call up and add a fake S/N to their whitelist database.

They asked for my SN. I was conveniently at work and didn't write it down.

I own 3 genuine macs and two iphones. I have plenty of serials to spit at them. Often they don't even ask for serial, they ask which product to which i'm calling about. (because any owned apple products are saved in apple id if they were ever at any time registered with apple care).

When I originally built my hack a few nights ago I cloned the values from my retina MacBook Pro. However, having read this guide after the fact I realized that I wouldn't want to clone the values from a Mac I'm actively using.

So I then re-installed everything from scratch today but cloned a busted MacBook Air that I have and will never use again. However, now I'm discovering some of the troubles with this. That MacBook Air uses a Sandy Bridge CPU while the hack has an Ivy Bridge CPU. So now Clover is having issues booting given that discrepancy, never mind the fact that I wouldn't have proper power management of the CPU. I suppose I could change the sysdef to MacBookAir5,2, which uses an Ivy Bridge CPU, but I'd prefer to keep the SMBIOS data completely consistent.

Assuming I give up on using all the values from the MBA as is, what would you advise I do? Should I use the MLB and ROM from the busted MacBook Air, but generate the other values, including Serial?

One consequence of using macpro3,1 instead of imac14,2 is no airplay mirroring. Not a deal killer, but I'd like to find a way to do airplay mirroring (of the monitor). It works otherwise from iTunes though.

Out of curiosity, how does one get the remaining values from their genuine Mac such as Firmware Features, the full BIOS version, BIOS Release Date, Location in Chassis, etc.

@bennynihon

As detailed in Step-5d of the guide you can use Darwin Dumper which will extract just about every thing you could ever want to know about your Mac and is able to produce very detailed reports.

Absolutely, statistically it's nearly impossible. But I'm also concerned long term for a viable fool proof solution, and if I have a broken Mac then I'd much prefer to just clone that entirely.

@bennynihon

Not true in the case of modifying an existing MLB .... for instance if one was to just change the DDD value (date) the probability could be quite high.

So now Clover is having issues booting given that discrepancy, never mind the fact that I wouldn't have proper power management of the CPU. I suppose I could change the sysdef to MacBookAir5,2, which uses an Ivy Bridge CPU, but I'd prefer to keep the SMBIOS data completely consistent.

Assuming I give up on using all the values from the MBA as is, what would you advise I do? Should I use the MLB and ROM from the busted MacBook Air, but generate the other values, including Serial?

One consequence of using macpro3,1 instead of imac14,2 is no airplay. Not a deal killer, but I'd like to find a way to do airplay mirroring (of the monitor). It works otherwise from iTunes though.

@bennynihon & @Wailril

From my own experimentation and findings you can use a valid MLB against any SMBIOS / System type - use generated values for everything except MLB & ROM. Use Mac Tracker (See Step 3 of the guide) to find the nearest system definition to your hacks hardware - just be aware that things could and will probably change in the future but right now it should work.

Chers
Jay

Back