Contribute
Register
Is there any way of getting the ROM value from a useless genuine mac?

My macbook pro early 2008 doesn't boot up into OS X anymore. S/N is printed in the battery bay, and MLB is probably on the motherboard somewhere. Just don't know what to do about ROM.

Anyone have an answer to this? There are a lot of $40-$50 duo core Mac Mini on ebay that are non functional. Functional ones on the other hand are >$100.

One more question - assuming I get both a legit MLB ROM combo, I can still use my Mac Pro definition even though I am cloning a Mac Mini?

One more question - assuming I get both a legit MLB ROM combo, I can still use my Mac Pro definition even though I am cloning a Mac Mini?

For the time being, yes. But Apple could change its authentication protocol again and require a valid MLB/ROM combination matching the serial number (after all, S/N is based on MLB).

The best way to clone an MLB/ROM combination is to get the closest possible to the original system, but that could mean losing some PM features for example.

This is not true. I have called and continue to be in support call backs with apple higher ups. I recited all legitimate information to them. They do not just flip a switch and things work again. At least not for me.

Have not used cloned values since Dec. 28. My valid iMac is still not allowed to connect. They recite that my motherboard must be faulty and not relaying correct serial information to apple's server. This is not true as when I do a NVRAM dump, all values appear valid and match identically to values I saved several months ago.

Considering the Mackintosh community 'generate' random numbers, it's very possible that one of your numbers is being used, just not by you!

I know of laugh every time I read the suggestion to not use a 'legitimate' number, but to use a generated number. When the reality is that we have no way of knowing if that those generated numbers are not used by real Macs. Or other Hacks for that matter.

if you follow guide, you do your best to ensure at least 2 of 3 can never match someone elses number

guide covers ensuring your generated number is not used by a real mac. you use the warranty validation link.

You use your ethernet to generate ROM, so again that can't be used by another mac (unless they used a random generator but then it'd be a rom used by two hacks, not a real mac. In that case, the person who used a generator is at fault :\.

the only thing then is maybe a made up MLB which has maybe an off chance to be a real one. However if you at least make sure your 2 or 3 are unique as they can be, the odds of 1/3 match are much lower when you only worry about 1 value instead of 3.

Question, do you know if you are using a new Hackintosh if you follow this guide will the same thing happen or has it changed? :confused::beachball:

Question, do you know if you are using a new Hackintosh if you follow this guide will the same thing happen or has it changed?

@skyegreen42,

Unfortunately these latest changes to Apples verification protocols effect both old and new hacks. The details in the guide are still valid from the point of ensuring that all important system values are set correctly such as SmUUID ... and basic AppleID information.

I'm in the process of re-structuring the guide as it's long out-grown the single large post format which should make it easer for people to find the info they want. However reading the guide will give you a better understanding of how the iCloud and its services work. Its best to start with the section titled 'Guide Overview' and think of the news section at the very top of the guide as amendments ...

Cheers
Jay

has the NVRAM file been updated for yosemite yet? i still haven't updated because i don't feel like learning clover but if i must i think I'm ready to make a weekend project out of it.....

Which guide? I didn't see anything about using a validation link.

This guide at the start of this thread. It is a link to an Apple website that you input your S/N into and see if they have a valid record of it. Keep looking, it's there.

Question about cloning values from real mac.

I have a 2010 Mac Mini that is no longer in use. Jay indicates that he's been successful in cloning values from his Macbook5,5 to a Hackintosh running Macbook8,1 definition and things are working for the past 6 monhts. Has anyone attempted cloning values between product lines? In my case it's real values from MacMini4,1 to a hackintosh configured as iMac14,1. Has anyone observed if such difference would trip up Apple's validation?

Also, when cloning from a mac I own, which values are we cloning - MLB, ROM, what else?

Back