Contribute
Register
sign off on the one that works and sign on the one that does not, worked for me

When I sign out of iCloud and sign in with iMessage or FaceTime I get these errors, which is the same as when I try logging in when iCloud is active.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 6.43.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 6.43.16 AM.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 164
I got a customer code when trying to login to the iMessage service and asked me to contact Apple with the code. I haven't done so before seeing this post. But when I tried to verify the serial number (Mac Pro 8,1) generated from "chameleon wizard" with Apple, it said it's not a valid serial number. Does anyone encounter this before?

@yuchen1211

If you get an alert message with a customer code and asked to contact Apple then it looks like the only way forward is to make that call (if you want to keep the same AppleID), so far i have not seen any negative feedback from users who have done this, just be sure you own at least one legit Apple device.

With regards to the Invalid Serial number, I think the only way that can happen is a miss-match between the first two digits of the S/N and the Device type (8,1 in your case). Be sure your using a Serial number that is based on the correct SMBIOS profile you use. I have seen this issue when using an old serial number with a different SMBIOS profile.

Good Luck
Jay

So I've been through the guide and I'm sure I could do more to test, but I found a really weird thing that I don't think is coincidence. I was able to login to iMessage and face time with no problem. But then when I logged into iCloud (system preferences), it automatically kicked me out of face time and iMessage.

I'm on a x79-up4 4930k

Does this seem like an indicator to anyone with more experience?

@5star

Try changing your AppleID password, that sometimes helps with re-syncing all the Apple iCloud accounts & settings ....

Cheers
Jay

@5star

Try changing your AppleID password, that sometimes helps with re-syncing all the Apple iCloud accounts & settings ....

Cheers
Jay

I changed my password and now iCloud isn't working right. Look at this message:

(Also iMessage still doesn't work)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 8.05.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 8.05.26 AM.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 141
I changed my password and now iCloud isn't working right. Look at this message:

(Also iMessage still doesn't work)

@5star

That is very odd, I've never seen that error, not sure if thats related to the iMessage fix or not, in all the time i've been running this iMessage thread I don't think anyone has posted this issue ? It looks like it could be an issue with the account not the local setup ?

If you have another drive, I would try a clean install, and generate a new SN (& UUID if your motherboard's BIOS has the SId Bug) and try again, if that doesn't work try it with a new AppleID (you may have to change S/N & UUID again).

Sorry I cant give you any more specific help on that error right now, maybe somebody else has seen this issue ?

Cheers
Jay

@5star

That is very odd, I've never seen that error, not sure if thats related to the iMessage fix or not, in all the time i've been running this iMessage thread I don't think anyone has posted this issue ? It looks like it could be an issue with the account not the local setup ?

If you have another drive, I would try a clean install, and generate a new SN (& UUID if your motherboard's BIOS has the SId Bug) and try again, if that doesn't work try it with a new AppleID (you may have to change S/N & UUID again).

Sorry I cant give you any more specific help on that error right now, maybe somebody else has seen this issue ?

Cheers
Jay
So here's the deal:

I thought I was booted into my new "tony mac" fixed drive with Chimera 3.0.1 -- But I wasn't. I was in the old drive that was built using another website's tools...

I went into the test drive and everything finally worked!! After seriously 2 months of not having it, it's now totally stable FaceTime, iMessage, everything.

So huge thanks!

I updated the old drive to a Tony Mac install and it is now working like a dream! I'm fully functional, although the bluetooth seems to be a little on the spotty side (but that's for another thread)... finally my x79-up4 is FULLY functional. It's been painful at times, but it's just bad to the bone now!

Thanks again for your awesome guide!!

First of all, just wanna say a big thanks for your Part 2 -- iMessage had been working fine for years until April when it suddenly stopped working (could connect OK, but could not send/receive messages) and I was suspecting some Apple-side changes but had spent literally days trying to fix this without success, up until I saw your well written guide here. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Your explanation matches my use case perfectly, as i am using the Z77X MB with sloppy bios.

iMessage is back to normal now -- am using Chimera 2.2.1 + FileNVRam 1.1.2.

The only thing which doesn't quite add up, is that /Extra/nvram.<uuid>.plist *still* that the default dummy UUID (both in name and content). Nonetheless, the SystemId injection via org.chameleon.Boot.plist is working ok, as confirmed by using IORegistryExplorer. I tried everything suggested here (nvram boot-args="", delete nvram.*, repair permissions, boot -f / -s mount / rw then rm nvram.*, as well as -s etc.) but the same old dummy nvram.<uuid>.plist gets regenerated every time. Again this doesn't seem to affect the injection, and iMessage works fine despite the odd nvram.

tempted to try out 3.0 + 1.1.3, but worried that something might irreversibly break...

So here's the deal:

I thought I was booted into my new "tony mac" fixed drive with Chimera 3.0.1 -- But I wasn't. I was in the old drive that was built using another website's tools...

I went into the test drive and everything finally worked!! After seriously 2 months of not having it, it's now totally stable FaceTime, iMessage, everything.

So huge thanks!

Thanks again for your awesome guide!!

@5star

Glad you found the issue, your not the first to get caught out by that, anther user didn't know he had a tiny USB stick drive plugged in to the rear of his PC with Unibeast installed and could not understand why the guide was not working for him.

I thought I had this potential issue already in the guide but i forget so will check and add it to the trouble shooting section if its not already in there.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers
Jay

First of all, just wanna say a big thanks for your Part 2 -- iMessage had been working fine for years until April when it suddenly stopped working (could connect OK, but could not send/receive messages) and I was suspecting some Apple-side changes but had spent literally days trying to fix this without success, up until I saw your well written guide here. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Your explanation matches my use case perfectly, as i am using the Z77X MB with sloppy bios.

iMessage is back to normal now -- am using Chimera 2.2.1 + FileNVRam 1.1.2.

The only thing which doesn't quite add up, is that /Extra/nvram.<uuid>.plist *still* that the default dummy UUID (both in name and content). Nonetheless, the SystemId injection via org.chameleon.Boot.plist is working ok, as confirmed by using IORegistryExplorer. I tried everything suggested here (nvram boot-args="", delete nvram.*, repair permissions, boot -f / -s mount / rw then rm nvram.*, as well as -s etc.) but the same old dummy nvram.<uuid>.plist gets regenerated every time. Again this doesn't seem to affect the injection, and iMessage works fine despite the odd nvram.

tempted to try out 3.0 + 1.1.3, but worried that something might irreversibly break...

@cktse

Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you found the guide helpful, there have been a very few users reporting the same issue (UUID in nvram.plist not matching SystemID) and yet iMessage is working. I believe that the new version of Chimera (3.0.1) in conjunction with FileNVRAM 1.1.3 should resolve this if it becomes an issue.

I'm a firm believer of 'if it an't broke don't try and fix it' however you could try the following :-

• Make sure you have a good up-to date backup of your start up drive.
  • Follow path B in Part 2 of the guide to inject SystemId via SMBIOS
  • At Step 5 Install Chimera 3.0.1 and replace FileNVRAM V1.1.2 in /Extra with version 1.1.3
  • Delete nvram.uuid.plist in /Extra and reboot.
To my knowledge, everyone who has installed Chimera 3+ and FileNVRAM 1.1.3 has reported good stability and all iMessage issues resolved as long as you follow the guide. Some users have found that Chimera 3+ works with FileNVRAM Version 1.1.2 but most have found that it is necessary to use FileNVRAM Version 1.1.3

If you decide to give it a go let me know the out come, I'm very tempted to update the guide and concentrate on Chimera 3+ and NVRam 1.1.3 as the primary way forward.

Cheers
Jay

Back