Contribute
Register
Im throwing the idea out that maybe apple's checks are designed to check for the correct number of MLB digits that are 'fake'. It could be a limitation/short sight not to check ALL MLB values.

On a side note my iMessage is still working correctly. I haven't logged out in weeks. Im kinda scared to do it now but part of me is curious to see whether Im affected.

@Wolfie81,

Don't log out, if you do that will be it at least for the moment .... of that i am 100% certain.

I've been doing a lot of work on this latest issue ... i've six system here, the two that i've been working on the issue with can no longer use iMessage ..... no matter what .... suggest you keep an eye on the news item at the start of the guide, which i'm updating daily as i find out more.

The other four systems all continue to work with iMessage with no problems.

Cheers
Jay

@Wolfie81,

Don't log out, if you do that will be it at least for the moment .... of that i am 100% certain.

I've been doing a lot of work on this latest issue ... i've six system here, the two that i've been working on the issue with can no longer use iMessage ..... no matter what .... suggest you keep an eye on the news item at the start of the guide, which i'm updating daily as i find out more.

The other four systems all continue to work with iMessage with no problems.

Cheers
Jay

I also removed the last 5 "random" digits from the MLB value in the RT section of Clover's config, and the normal message changed from "Customer Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" to "You cannot log in iMessage at this time" ...

I also noticed that all the times i touch the ROM and/or MLB values something happens to my BT dongle ... and Apple Magic Mouse is not working properly anymore ... is it related to Continuity/Handoff features of Yosemite (10.1 here with Clover v. 3033) ?! :crazy:

PS: the AppleCare support person tells me two things:

1) "iMessage problem has to do with your serial but I cannot see the log files on our servers"
2) all the times you update the system from one version to another all the services silently will log out and log in again.

Thank you for all your info in this guide. It has been very helpful.

I just updated a perfectly working Mavericks install to Yosemite 10.1 yesterday on Thanksgiving. Unfortuanately I am now locked out of Icloud and the app store on this computer. When I go to the Apple support page it won"t let me proceed because it says the serial number is invalid. The serial number was generated with champlist or tonymac way back when, I don't remember which one. I am using Clover and made sure nothing changed from my previous Mavericks install as far as imessage-debug is concerned. As mentioned the Mavericks install with the Clover bootloader was working perfectly including access to imessage. I noticed that to get Apple support you must now have the serial number accepted on your account profile page. Maybe this would be the best way to check for a valid serial number before connecting the machine to the internet? Sure hope there is a fix for this soon but right now it seems like to me the only fix is a valid serial number.

I am using Clover and made sure nothing changed from my previous Mavericks install as far as imessage-debug is concerned. As mentioned the Mavericks install with the Clover bootloader was working perfectly including access to imessage. I noticed that to get Apple support you must now have the serial number accepted on your account profile page.

@bilben1,

Thanks for the feedback

Please see the Latest News item in Part-1 of the guide which explains the above.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

Cheers
Jay

@Jay

if you change the last 5 digits, the customer code changes! And not necessary is starting with 1234 ... maybe it's a positive sign ... :idea:

I finally got my MLB from an old G4, thing is its 13digit, so can I use it ? Another question if answer to first question is yes, should I keep my rom ( which is NIC MAC ) as I already called apple to unlock but without success with that rom, or should I use some other rom ( hmm like from my 2nd pc mac nic ) ? Also I guess I should generate new S/N and SMUUID ? And last question should I use my rom value for last 12 digits of SMUUID and my MLB for BoardSerialNumber ? Thanks so much :thumbup:

@All,

Ok i think i'm onto something but i need some help from you guys ....

It was these reports of 13 digit MLB's which had me puzzled, but i have a theory on how we ended up with the current 17 digit MLB format and why it may actually be incorrect for some people.

The only true way to see the raw MLB value is to dump the tables form your NVRAM and the best utility i've found to do that on real Mac's is to use Darwin Dumper which you can download from here:-

This utility should work on all macs right back to snow leopard so hopefully this should work on some of those mac's that are having trouble running iMessage Debug.

Run Darwin Dumper and un-select everything except NVRAM
Screen Shot 2014-11-28 at 18.14.50.pngSet the 'Extra Options' at the very bottom of the screen to the following:-

Screen Shot 2014-11-28 at 18.18.13.png
Then Click on run, DD will do it's thing and once done it should open a finder window of the result files.

Navigate to the sub folder 'NVRAM' and then double click on the file called 'uefi_firmware_vars.txt' to open it in Text Edit.

Hold down the 'CMD' key and hit 'F' to open the find command, enter 'mlb' without quotes and hit enter:

You should see something like the following:-
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
000000: 73 ec 25 d4 ac 4d                                |d.6..f|

4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB
000000: [U][COLOR=#ff0000]44 32 38 43 32[/COLOR] 30 33 30 46 38 [COLOR=#daa520]4e 43 5f[/COLOR][/U]  |[COLOR=#00ff00]C0554[/COLOR]63F8LY[COLOR=#0000ff]3J8[/COLOR]|

It's ok you have not taken LSD .... i added the colours .. all will become clear.

Count the number of bytes (underlined above)

If your MLB is longer than 16 bytes then it will extend in to the next line (beginning with 000010)

If any of you guys have real MAC's and want to help i first need you to do above on your real Apple MAC product, the wider the range the better - MacBooks, MiniMacs, iMacs, Mac Pros .. all will be useful.

I don't want anyone to post any complete values but i'd like you to post the following feedback ....

Number of Bytes making up the MLB .... eg: 13
Number of Characters in the string .... eg: 14
Your System Type .... eg: MacBook 8,2
Last four digits of OSX S/N .... eg: 4566

First five hex values of MLB .... eg: 44 32 38 43 32
First five string values of MLB ... eg: C0554
Last three hex values of MLB .... eg: 4e 43 5f
Last three string values of MLB .... eg: 3J8

Alternatively for the above four lines you could include a text copy of the output and replace the digits in black in the above example with x's like this (17 digit MLB example):-
Code:
xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx:MLB
000000: 43 30 32 33 34 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx 52 31  |C0234xxxxxxxxxR1|
000010: 45                                               |E|
If you have enough credit you can PM the info to me, if not then it should be safe as i'm not asking you to post the complete MLB ....

Why do i need this info ?

First i want to confirm how many digits the MLB should be for each type of system.

Second it could be that Apple are now syntax checking the MLB via a new checksum of the prefix/suffix of the MLB something like the way the OSX S/N is derived (see Part-1, Step-3 of the guide)

Please only post results from Real MAC's .....

Having checked two real MB Pros here the MLB on both is 13 bytes long (13 x 2 hex digits), I know some Mac's do have 17 digits for the MLB but the discrepancy is a lead and i have to start somewhere.

It may be just the length that is important and that generating a 13 byte MLB for some Systems Types is all we need to do, but i seriously doubt it will be that easy so before we all go blindly doing that i'd like to see if there is a patten/format to the MLB.

Obviously if you change your MLB then the Customer code displayed by iMessage should also change.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Tip: If you want to dump system-id .... etc via Darwin Dumper then also check IO Kit Registry

Screen Shot 2014-11-28 at 19.00.51.png
When DD is done navigate to the Sub Folder 'IORegistry'

Open the file IORegDT.txt in text edit & search for the following key values (with quotes) :-

"IOPlatformUUID" = Hardware UUID
"system-id" = SmUUID
“IOPlatformSerialNumber" = OSX S/N

Seems I need 75 posts to send a PM. :)

Number of Bytes making up the MLB .... 16
Number of Characters in the string .... 16
Your System Type .... eg: iMac 11,3
Last four digits of OSX S/N .... eg: FGXU
First five hex values of MLB .... eg: 43 30 32 30 33
Last three hex values of MLB .... eg: 30 4a 31

I spoofed this machine with my Dell and imessage/etc worked on Yosemite, I'll run the comparison numbers there before I remove the values till this community figures this out.

Edit**

xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx:MLB
000000: 43 30 32 30 33 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx 30 4a 31 |C0203xxxxxxxxxJ1|
000010: 37 |7|

Number of Bytes making up the MLB .... 13
Number of Characters in the string .... 13
Your System Type .... MacBookPro5,1
Last four digits of OSX S/N .... 91G0
First five hex values of MLB .... 57 38 39 30 32
Last three hex values of MLB .... 32 5a 41

I have checked and confirmed that the ROM value is the MAC address of my Ethernet interface.
This is also the MAC address of my Firewire interface with the middle two pairs removed.

I had my MLB split in two lines, with the second one just having one character/byte
000000: 43 ...
000010: 43

Number of Bytes making up the MLB .... eg: 17
Number of Characters in the string .... eg: 17
Your System Type .... eg: MacBookPro 11,1
Last four digits of OSX S/N .... eg: G3QH
First five hex values of MLB .... eg: 43 30 32 34 33 (C0243)
Last three hex values of MLB .... eg: 48 31 43 (H1C)

Edited with the values, looks like a simple Hex to ASCII conversion.

Back