Contribute
Register
I also think apple has changed something recently because a lot of people are facing that same activation error although everything seems legit.

Maybe apple uses a special "pattern" on how MLB and ROM need to be generated to be legit.
This would at least explain why original mac values work without a hassle when injected into clover.

This is what I was trying to say in my post on the previous page back. I'm sorry if you guy's misunderstood my post.

I used to get that code where I would have to call apple to fix it. Over the past few days magically don't get the code anymore and iMessage works. It wasn't that I was afraid to call them, it was that I have never needed to call them.

The unique MLB and ROM values that I try to create based I this guide do not work. That have tried many different combinations for my MLB value and always get the error "iMessage could not be activated". The console output would mention a failure in registration.

I pop in values off of my real MacBook, and suddenly the activation error goes away.

I believe, that within the past week, Apple has changed the way they activate iMessage somehow relating to the MLB and ROM values. My reasoning for this is because..

1) My apple ID that used to be "blacklisted" preventing activation without calling them, is sunddenly not blacklisted anymore without calling them
2)The real Mac values work, and any custom values I try to inject cause the activation error to reappear
3)You folks who USED to have iMessage activated, suddenly are getting the same error that I was with your own custom MLB and ROM values.

Is there something I have missed or overlooked?

@All,

I'm just not seeing any of these latest problems that a few of you have been reporting over the last few days ... so I don't believe anything has changed at Apples end, I have two Mavericks systems and four Yosemite systems all working fine with iMessage .. all using the original values that i generated on each machine when running Mavericks.

Every Machine is using unique and non registered ID's .. I never use any real MAC ID's, there is no need if the system is configured correctly, even my RAID system is working fine (now booting Clover from a dedicated boot-loader HDD and not using the raid helper partitions) although i did have to dump two plists as detailed in post #1944 to get it working.

So far I have been unable to reproduce the problems you guys are seeing.

The only thing i can think of is to check and double check your OSX S/N. Ensure that your prefix and suffix is correct for the model type your using. I only use iMac 13,1 or 14,2 depending Ivy or Haswell CPU. I do have a theory that its possible that Apple are checking the manufacturing country code (S/N Prefix), eg MacPro 6,1 with a S/N starting with C0 or CK would be invalid as the new Mac Pro is only manufactured in Austin TX so would never have a S/N prefix of C0 (Taiwan) or CK (Cork - Ireland) ... (as generated by CW or Clover) so if anyone is using MacPro 6,1 then that could easily lead to problems - this is purely a theory of mine at the moment but could explain what some of you are seeing ... I'm investigating this trail of thought further and will update the guide soon with a list of valid country codes but its going to be difficult to make a list of which manufacturing plant in which country produces which model types ....I have recently added a lot more info to Step 3 in Part 1 of the guide regarding the S/N.

I'll try a clean install on another system over the weekend and see how that goes, I'll report back and let you know how things pan out ...

Cheers
Jay

Update: I've added what information I have on the country codes to Part-1, Step-3 the guide but i need to confirm what models are made at each of these manufacturing plants.

Can anyone confirm that their iMessage is working in Yosemite with Clover and generated MLB and ROM values?

Apparently yes. Thanks Jay

@All,

I'm just not seeing any of these latest problems that a few of you have been reporting over the last few days ... so I don't believe anything has changed at Apples end, I have two Mavericks systems and four Yosemite systems all working fine with iMessage .. all using the original values that i generated on each machine when running Mavericks.

Every Machine is using unique and non registered ID's .. I never use any real MAC ID's, there is no need if the system is configured correctly, even my RAID system is working fine (now booting Clover from a dedicated boot-loader HDD and not using the raid helper partitions) although i did have to dump two plists as detailed in post #1944 to get it working.

So far I have been unable to reproduce the problems you guys are seeing.

The only thing i can think of is to check and double check your OSX S/N. Ensure that your prefix and suffix is correct for the model type your using. I only use iMac 13,1 or 14,2 depending Ivy or Haswell CPU. I do have a theory that its possible that Apple are checking the manufacturing country code (S/N Prefix), eg MacPro 6,1 with a S/N starting with C0 or CK would be invalid as the new Mac Pro is only manufactured in Austin TX so would never have a S/N prefix of C0 (Taiwan) or CK (Cork - Ireland) ... (as generated by CW or Clover) so if anyone is using MacPro 6,1 then that could easily lead to problems - this is purely a theory of mine at the moment but could explain what some of you are seeing ... I'm investigating this trail of thought further and will update the guide soon with a list of valid country codes but its going to be difficult to make a list of which manufacturing plant in which country produces which model types ....I have recently added a lot more info to Step 3 in Part 1 of the guide regarding the S/N.

I'll try a clean install on another system over the weekend and see how that goes, I'll report back and let you know how things pan out ...

Cheers
Jay

Update: I've added what information I have on the country codes to Part-1, Step-3 the guide but i need to confirm what models are made at each of these manufacturing plants.

Thanks for the very detailed guide and this update.
My own experience:

Over the weekend I migrated from Chameleon to Clover to try and get iMessage working.
I didn't do anything mentioned in your guide and tried yo activate and got the message about calling Apple.

However, because my audio had stopped working I wanted to fix that which took a few days and lots of help from toleda.

Yesterday, I tried activating iMessage and got the message "iMessage could not be activated".

I then followed your guide in detail and worked through every step in detail. I generated random uuid and then rebooted. I had stable MLB and ROM etc after every boot. I tried activating iMessage and got the same error message.

I then manually changed the MLB and ROM to the same ones on my Macbook Air and rebooted. iMessage then activated straight away and seems to be working fine.

Is there any problem in using MLB and ROM that are identical to a Macbook Air that I own?
I would rather use unique MLB and ROM but couldn't get it to work...

Thanks

How I Did It

Since I only just got this working this afternoon (on a clean Yosemite installation) here's a list of all the steps I took to get iMessage working (from this guide):
1) Installed Clover over Chimera
2) Used Clover Configurator and set up all the normal things I need for my hackintosh to work (such as Nvidia injection, etc.)
3) With Clover Configurator, I generated all the SMBIOS data for my machine. In my case I created an older model iMac, but use MacTracker to find the closest model to match to. I used uuidgen to create a SmUUID.
4) Used Clover Configurator to install the Ami Aptio memory fix and EFI/NVRAM Drivers (the former may not be applicable to your machine. Depends on the motherboard). Remember that you need working NVRAM, whether this is through Clover's drivers or native NVRAM. In my case I am legacy booting rather than going full UEFI so I need this patch for it to work properly. Your mileage may vary.
5) Saved all my configuration in Clover Configurator
6) I then used Rt variables and clicked the generate button; this showed the info I'd entered before but left ROM and MLB empty.
7) I entered my en0 ethernet card MAC address (all lower case with no colons) as the ROM.
8) As the generated serial number for me was 12 characters, I set my MLB as my serial plus five random numbers (to make it up to the magic 17 characters).
9) Saved all configuration again.
10) Deleted all the iMessage configuration files.
11) After a reboot I was able to start the login process, then I got the 10 digit PIN, so I called Apple support. When asked for the serial number give them the one you generated (it should be the same as in About This Mac). The technical assistant verified the serial a few times, but after mentioning iMessage he ignored the fact that the serial number was false.
12) After some Apple ID security questions I had iMessage working!

Key points / TL;DR:
1) Even though Rt variables for ROM and MLB are deprecated, there's no harm in using that feature as the activation worked for me whilst using them, but not without.
2) If you're not sure whether your motherboard has the UUID bug or not, just generate one of your own. There's no real harm in doing so, as UUIDs are all generic anyway. There's no difference (to Apple) between a UUID from your hackintosh motherboard and a UUID from uuidgen.
3) Remember to wipe the configuration files out after all the setup, and remember to reboot and check that the variables you entered have taken effect (with an IODeviceTree viewer, etc.)
4) Do not be afraid to talk to Apple, but only when given a customer code!
5) NO NEED TO LEECH ANY VALUES. If you get this configuration right you will be able to get a fully working hackintosh.
6) Good luck and do not give up. There is always a solution. If in doubt, reinstall and do not log into iCloud until you have a full set of variables being applied by Clover, with them being persistent across reboots. Once satisfied that the values are correct and 'sticking', log into iCloud then iMessage & FaceTime.

jaymonkey,

I have haswell i5, so in Clover configurator in SMBIOS tab i chose macbook pro 11,1 and generated unique S/N (one that is not displaying on apple servers while checking warranty) and saved plist file. After reboot I used uuidgen in terminal 5 times and copied last result to clover conf. As MLB i used my S/N + 5 random numbers/letters. ROM i generated with RT Variables.

Is it enough to call apple now and enable it for life? :D

Edit:

When i run imessagedebug only IOPlatformUUID is different from SmUUID.

Hi,
Just want to add my experience regarding iMessage and Facetime log-in issues.
I migrated from Mavericks to Yosemite using the Clover guide. All was running perfect until the middle of this week when I could not log into iMessage and Facetime.
The only thing I have noticed is that my IOPlatformUUID changes to a different value every time I reboot. I keep updating the value into the SmUUID section in SMBIOS in Clover but every time I reboot the value changes.
I also have a HP Probook 450 G0, used the Clover guide to install Yosemite from Tonymacx86 and it is working perfectly; can use iMessage, Facetime, iCloud...
e-hawk1

Hi,

Just to be sure...as it's still not clear for me

should i inject "Hardware UUID:" or "System-ID:" from "immessagedebug" to clover SMBIOS?

Attachments

• clover smbios.jpg
    clover smbios.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 270
  • imessage V2 report.jpg
    imessage V2 report.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 226
Back