Contribute
Register
@jay

do we have concrete conclusion that the ROM value must be ethernet en0 MAC address?

@jk2309,

No it does not have to be the en0 MAC address, it just needs to be 6bytes and unique, since a MAC address is 6 Bytes and unique its a good a values as any to use.

@All,

Everyone should note that Clover is slowly moving away from the rtVariable injection method fro ROM & MLB, please read the Clover update notes at the bottom of Step 5e, in the future the ROM value will be automatically taken from the last 6 bytes of the SMUUID. You don't need to panic or change anything right now, i suspect that the dev's will keep the rtVariable method in for a long time, maybe forever since many users are already using this method.

The latest release of Clover Configurator has a experimental ID calculator on the rtVariables page which takes the base values from the SMBIOS page and generates a set of NVRAM ID's such as ROM, MLB .. etc

At the moment the code is purely for testing purpose and will not effect and thing, if you want to use the values the code generates then you have to copy and paste the values from the generator to the SMBIOS page.

Cheers
Jay

@fidesachates,

Thanks for the feedback and posting your ID checking utility, could be a useful little utility for those who are unsure of what to check for .. I'll take a look at it and get back to you, I was actually thinking of modifying the iMessage debug code to do something very similar .... it still might be worth going that route so that everything is in one file/script .. would make it a useful one-click check that novice users could use to debug the whole iMessage environment and get advice on its current status. I'm working on too many things to take this on right now but if you want to have a go at it and are successful then i'll add it to the guide.

Cheers
Jay

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines of having one single file, but I don't know where to get the imessage_debug source code. If you show me, I'd be happy to take a look and see what functionality I could add to it. I was even thinking of having the tool check the serial against the apple website depending how easy their form interface was. Also, if there is a contact for the tool if I have questions about the developer's current coding standards / preferences, unique build procedures, or code review that would be helpful too. Thanks. Love the opportunity to give back to the community that's helped me so much.

View attachment 85648How to fix
iMessage

Once installed run it and make sure your on the 'Status' tab, the top part of the Status screen will identify all your network interfaces and display their BCD names, as explained above, the BCD names should start at 'en0', additionally the 'Builtin' check box next to each interface must be checked for iMessage to work on each of the detected network interfaces.

View attachment 95413If the 'built-in' check box is not checked you should make sure you have the following key and string in your boot.chameleon.org.plist (if using Chimera or Chameleon):-
Code:
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
if you do have this key and string in your plist but the 'Built-in' check box is not ticked then click on the 'eye' icon for the appropriate interface (at the right hand side of each entry), you will be given an EFI string that you can add to your boot.chameleon.org.plist in /Extra, this string is required for correct iMessage operation, for most users the Boot-Loader will identify the correct EFI string and automatically inject it, however in some rare instances this does not work in which case you should manually inject the NIC(s) EFI string(s) identified by DPCIManager.
View attachment 95416Clover users can add the EFI String to their config.plist or use Clover Configurator and add the EFI string on the devices page.

Hi

How do I add my ethernet EFI string to the Device page in clover config? The builtin box next to Model - L1 LAN, BSD - en0 in DPCIManager is not checked.

Thanks in advance

James

Please check IODeviceTree > efi > platform again for SystemId

It should still be there at that location, however because of the way Clover works you should find it about a sixth of the way down the right hand viewer, were as under Chameleon it was always towards the bottom of the viewer.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, I must have missed it or checked it before setting SmUUID. I used this command to make sure I found it:

Code:
ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id

The value matches my SmUUID. I also have working iMessage and SMS in Yosemite after updating my phone to 8.1.

**** Information for chimera / chameleon users ****

I've contacted Evan Lojewski, fileNvram.dilyb creator.
I ask him if he's working on an update for yosemite OS.

This is his answer:

"This most likely is failing to load due to the kext not being in apples exclude list, and also not being signed. Apple (I believe) is enforcing signed kexts, and it's unable to locate the code signature for this kext.

I don't have 10.10 installed, so I'm unable to test on it. I also don't have an apple developer account to signed the kext with."

Yesterday I passed reluctantly from the chameleon bootloader in clover.
I hate clvoer because is more slow of chameleon...and more difficult to use....but it is unique solution to have a working iMessage...

Now works all for me with clover.

Please check IODeviceTree > efi > platform again for SystemId

It should still be there at that location, however because of the way Clover works you should find it about a sixth of the way down the right hand viewer, were as under Chameleon it was always towards the bottom of the viewer.

Cheers
Jay

You are right, is still there. :thumbup:

Hello!

After contacting Apple, I am now able to log into the messages app and FaceTime app. But I'm always offline in iMessage, the only thing I can do is send SMS via the new Continuity feature of Yosemite. Also in FaceTime I can make phone calls via my iPhone, but no chance to FaceTime someone.
After installing clover I got straight the call Apple message. So I did nothing else up until now. The only thing I found out in between was that I had a wrong system definition, so I changed it afterwards to MacPro 6,1 (As it is stated in the guide, Sandy Bridge CPU and Z68-series board). But this should not had an effect on the problem itself, because I had it before...??

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

quick-nik

Hi there,

My current build is as follows - all parts were on the approved list in the buyers guide.

GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-UD4H R

ASUS|GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 2G RT
[h=1]CORSAIR CSM Series CS650M 650W ATX12V v2.4[/h][h=1]Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz[/h][h=1]Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz[/h][h=1]TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900[/h]
Got Yosemite installed using Clover. Everything (that I have checked so far works) except iMessages. I can send and receive SMS but not iMessages from the Hackintosh. Yesterday I received the customer code and called Apple and they corrected the issue on their end. Since then, I have been able to log in without issue but cannot send or receive iMessages (messages from other Apple devices) but can send and receive SMS.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting will be much appreciated. I own a macbook air as well, in case that is helpful in providing any serial numbers etc for the Hackintosh. I didn't quite understand that part of the guide. Anyone care to explain using simple english?

Thanks,

CJ.

Hi Jay,

Hope you are well :)

I updated from mavericks to yosemite yesterday (was on chimera 3 with mavericks then chimera 4 with yosemite) and noticed that imessage was not working... I came back ot this amazing thread to check for a solution and understood that if I want to keep using imessage I will have to switch from chimera to clover.

I have been looking for an article describing the simplest way to achieve the switch from chimera to clover but so far have not been able to find an article describing how to do that (even though I read in several threads that there is a guide showing how to do that, i have not been able to find this article).

Could you direct me to a site/thread describing the process please? For info, I use dual boot OSX and Windows on two separate drives.

Thansk in advance for helping me achive the switch :)

PS: I have no tie machine backup, so I wont be able to ge back to mavericks; i hope this won't b an issue...

I also switched from Chimera to Clover for Yosemite. The only guide you need is listed here. I'm going to make some assumptions based on your comments.

1. Yosemite is currently installed using unibeast.
2. You can boot into Yosemite with Chimera without the USB.
3. You don't want to reinstall.

Use the guide above and jump to step 4 since all you really need is the bootloader. If you have an UEFI capable motherboard, you can play it safe and only install Clover into the ESP. Otherwise you'll have overwrite the Chimera bootloader. When you're done make sure you're booting into the UEFI (again only if you are capable of this).

Hope that gives you a general idea of what to do.

Also, you should always make a complete disk backup so you're covered in the event someone takes a gun to your machine. I have a single disk with two partitions. One with Clonezilla installed and another with just storage space for clonezilla to write images to. I consider it a pretty neat all-in-one-disk backup solution. I suppose I could make a guide if anyone is interested.

Back