Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ajschot Hi sorry for replying so late; I've been on a trip for work. I also saw kgp updated the EFI in the OP, so now I'm using the updated EFI template to boot. I also wiped my boot USB installer and reran the Mac App Store High Sierra installer terminal command to update to 10.13.3. Now I'm getting "some slide values are not availible for usage" at boot start as seen in post #1284, and I'm still getting the stuck at the same "exited with abnormal code 1" error at the end. I tried fixing the "slide values" error by adding OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 to my drivers64UEFI folder, but it didn't help. Here's a video of my verbose boot: video (sorry for the potato cam quality. My camera doesn't seem to be able to focus on glowing white text. I can try to refilm if necessary). Attached is the EFI I am using to boot. I also tried booting from the EFI in post #1310, since we have very similar system specs, but to no avail. I feel like this might be a hardware/BIOS issue on my end. Any idea what BIOS settings might cause this? Thanks for your help so far!

System specs:
--5960X
--Rampage V Extreme
--GT710
--64GB Ram

I will look ingo that when i am at home.
From what i have seen in the movie you have added way too much nonsense to boot. Everything seems to be tweaked please first install and later tweak.. no xpm no ssdt or dsdt stuff ... with an easy clean config, uefi drivers and kext it will be way easier.
Also using a nvIdia card firt boot must be with nv_disable=1 and no nvda_drv bootarg!!

For bios things... load defaults and be sure all usb things are enabled and be sure CSM is disabled (some board will work bit not all) MSI board will have problems with hackintosh if CSM is enabled. Rest of things should be fine (be sure one of your bootargs is dart=0 or disable vt

Last edited:
kgp, thank you! I followed your guide, used your files, and it all worked for my system, no modifications needed:

CPU: i7-5960X
MOBO: ASRock x99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked

THANK YOU!

Reactions: kgp
Has anyone got the bluetooth working on x99 deluxe II?

Im guessing its similar to other x99 boards. OP seems to be using a pci card and not the onboard mobo bluetooth.

Hello @kgp

Thank you for this great guide again. I have a shutdown issue. I have tried everything to make shutdown proper without luck.
Can you help about this problem.

My rig:
Asus X99-E WS
Intel 5960X
64GB DDR4
1 x Titan X Maxwell (Primary)
2 x 1080 Pascal 6 GB
SSD's - Hard Drives.

I include my CLOVER folder.
I passed black screen issue with AGDPfix.
Everything is working great except shutdown. If i restart before shutdown, sometimes I am getting proper shutdown.
Otherwise my hack shutting down but gpus and fans are working without signal. Black screen.

Clover FixShutdown and HaltEnabler is useless..

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3 MB · Views: 87
I'm also having trouble with my M.2 drives not being detected as internal. I was able to fix my Intel 750 U.2 drive to read as internal using the described method, but cannot get my two M.2 drives, one using the M.2 slot on the motherboard, the other using an adapter in a PCI-E slot, to read as internal. My motherboard is the Gigabyte Designare EX Rev 1.0 x99. Any advice?

Attachments

• Samsung M.2_1.png
    Samsung M.2_1.png
    222 KB · Views: 144
  • Samsung M.2_2.png
    Samsung M.2_2.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 110
Soooo... I started using this guide, carefully following each step and modifying where applicable for my system... Got quite easily to the point where the system had fully booted and gpu was working fine. There was no audio through HDMI, tried to find a fix but I thought for the sake of quickness I’d just install my usb external sound card. Installed drivers just fine, hit reboot aaaaand there. My first grand problem.

The PC will light up, hdds will whir up, fans start blowing. And on my screen all I get is static. And I wouldn’t be concerned if the static occured AFTER the BIOS splash screen. The problem is the static starts before the bios splash screen! No way to get to the bios, no way to reinstall anything. Reseated the GPU, tried other video ports but they don’t output a thing, and I checked my network and it appears that the system does not boot in the background, so I doubt it’s a GPU issue. For some reason I believe that somehow something messed with the Mobo bios. I cleared the CMOS but nada... I will try to reflash the bios, but first I will leave the PC out of power overnight.

Any idea what might have caused this?

Specs below:

GA-X99-UD4
i7-5820K @ 4.5GHz
16GB 3000MHz DDR4
GTX 1060 3GB
256 M.2 NVME

Everything worked perfectly, and only after 5-6 reboots this occured. Was quite excited while everything was working fine, but this has me concerned that something might have been critically damaged...

EDIT: Went back to the PC after about half an hour out of power, booted and started working fine. I messed about with the display scaling in the settings and I unchecked the overscanning option, the latter made the screen go from 4K to 1440p but with black boxes around and no way for me to get it back. REbooted a couple of times when I thought I might toggle on and off the nvidia driver. I switched to the macos display driver from the settings, and hit the reboot button and at power on voila! Static again...

Last edited:
I'm also having trouble with my M.2 drives not being detected as internal. I was able to fix my Intel 750 U.2 drive to read as internal using the described method, but cannot get my two M.2 drives, one using the M.2 slot on the motherboard, the other using an adapter in a PCI-E slot, to read as internal. My motherboard is the Gigabyte Designare EX Rev 1.0 x99. Any advice?

There is something wrong in your IOREG.

Wile the first NVMe controller shows up under /PCI0/BR1A, you have two NVMe controllers under PCI0/BR2A/HDAU...

a.) Up to my knowledge HDAU is used for digital DP/HDMI GPU audio output, so how can you add two NVMe controller to this PCI device? That's more than weird...

b.) In any case, your are aware that you have to adopt/modify the aml considering the ACPI path of all 3 NVMe controllers to fix the external icon for all three NVMes, right? However, to do so you have to clarify a.) first..

Soooo... I started using this guide, carefully following each step and modifying where applicable for my system... Got quite easily to the point where the system had fully booted and gpu was working fine. There was no audio through HDMI, tried to find a fix but I thought for the sake of quickness I’d just install my usb external sound card. Installed drivers just fine, hit reboot aaaaand there. My first grand problem.

The PC will light up, hdds will whir up, fans start blowing. And on my screen all I get is static. And I wouldn’t be concerned if the static occured AFTER the BIOS splash screen. The problem is the static starts before the bios splash screen! No way to get to the bios, no way to reinstall anything. Reseated the GPU, tried other video ports but they don’t output a thing, and I checked my network and it appears that the system does not boot in the background, so I doubt it’s a GPU issue. For some reason I believe that somehow something messed with the Mobo bios. I cleared the CMOS but nada... I will try to reflash the bios, but first I will leave the PC out of power overnight.

Any idea what might have caused this?

Specs below:

GA-X99-UD4
i7-5820K @ 4.5GHz
16GB 3000MHz DDR4
GTX 1060 3GB
256 M.2 NVME

Everything worked perfectly, and only after 5-6 reboots this occured. Was quite excited while everything was working fine, but this has me concerned that something might have been critically damaged...

EDIT: Went back to the PC after about half an hour out of power, booted and started working fine. I messed about with the display scaling in the settings and I unchecked the overscanning option, the latter made the screen go from 4K to 1440p but with black boxes around and no way for me to get it back. REbooted a couple of times when I thought I might toggle on and off the nvidia driver. I switched to the macos display driver from the settings, and hit the reboot button and at power on voila! Static again...

Maybe a problem with the drivers for your usb external sound card? What do you mean by static? Anyway, if you are not even able to enter the BIOS, the problem is not macOS related. Only solution, reflash the BIOS. If this does not help you have some hardware error. Try to read and investigate the error code on the onboard display.

What to you mean by toggle on and off the nvidia driver? Does the web driver work at all?

With this debug description I am not able to help. Please be more precise.

Hello @kgp

Thank you for this great guide again. I have a shutdown issue. I have tried everything to make shutdown proper without luck.
Can you help about this problem.

My rig:
Asus X99-E WS
Intel 5960X
64GB DDR4
1 x Titan X Maxwell (Primary)
2 x 1080 Pascal 6 GB
SSD's - Hard Drives.

I include my CLOVER folder.
I passed black screen issue with AGDPfix.
Everything is working great except shutdown. If i restart before shutdown, sometimes I am getting proper shutdown.
Otherwise my hack shutting down but gpus and fans are working without signal. Black screen.

Clover FixShutdown and HaltEnabler is useless..

Thanks in advance.

You know that you use outdated EFI-Folder, including an outdated apsf.efi?

Against all my instructions you use USBInjectAll.kext..

Where the FakeSMC and Sensor kexts are from?

You use amls in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched I don't use at all.

Your SSDT-ASUS-X99-E-WS.aml is incomplete, does not implement all PCI devices, e.g. GFX1 and HDAU are missing. No idea if the rest of PCI devices is properly implemented.

You use a XHCI injector SSDT-USB.aml, I don't use at all.

config.plist: ACPI replacements I don't use at all. USB port limit patch is disabled! AppleHDAController kext patch I don't use at all. Kernel patches I don't use at all.

With this strongly deviating EFI-Folder configuration I cannot provide any support, sorry. Try to stay in line with my guide..

Good luck,

KGP

I'm trying to figure this out, but completely incapable. I've tried following many different build pages.

Can anyone help with the following Kernel Panic (lilu triggers rebuild) and my config?

Using Gigabyte x99 Designare ex
AMD Radeon RX560
Samsung SSD 950
6900k i7

Drive is currently Sierra but trying to do a fresh install

Attachments

• EFI_22818_2105pm.zip
    18 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 114
Status