Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried with the efi of the 10.12 that works great now ... does not work!
I tried with the efi that you provided in this post ... does not work!

I'm stuck on the ram-2000 line (I'll provide an image if necessary but it's common for you in comments)

I made a third attempt .. update from 10.12 to 10.13 to the 950 pro and as we corresponded yesterday .. still can not identify it in the system

**reminder**
I have a motherboard asus x99 a2 (like yours)
The i7 6950x processor (like yours)
Video card gxt 1080 (Pascal like yours)

The EFI folder of 10.12 will not work with 10.13! The EFI folder attached to my 10.13 High Sierra Desktop Guide however should work. Moreover as we have an identical system configuration. I also got many times stocked in the ram-2000 line with subsequent crosses many times before, but with the current EFI configuration I definitely passed this problem.

But I guess your problem is certainly a different one! How can you perform an update from 10.12 to 10.13 to your 950 pro?

To do so you would have to

1.) first clone your 10.12 SSD to your 950 pro, which you can't as it is not recognized by Sierra.
2.) Then you would have to install the 10.13 EFI folder on the 950 pro, which you also can't as the 950 pro is not recognized by
the system.​
3.) Then you have to boot with your 950 pro, which however does not have any Sierra installation nor an EFI folder, as it is not
recognized by Sierra.​
4.) Then you would have to download, run and install the 10.13 macOS High Sierra Installer/Updater on your 950 pro under
Sierra, which you can't because you cannot access your 950 pro under Sierra​

:lol:

Thus, the easiest way for now is a clean install of 10.13 macOS High Sierra onto your 950 Pro!

Follow precisely my 10.13 macOS High Sierra Desktop Guide to do so!

For updating from Sierra to High Sierra on your 950 pro I can imagine the following procedure:

1.) You clone your 10.12 Sierra system disk to a do a SSD/HDD test drive, then you install the 10.12 EFI folder on the SSD/HDD test drive and boot Sierra on the SSD/HDD test drive.

2.) Then you follow Section "System Upgrade from macOS Sierra 10.12 to macOS High Sierra 10.13" in my 10.13 macOS High Sierra Desktop Guide, upgrade macOS Sierra 10.12 to macOS High Sierra 10.13 on your SSD/HDD test drive and complete the post installation process.

3.) Once High Sierra is successfully set and fully operational on your SSD/HDD test drive, you clone the 10.13 HDD/SDD to
your 950 Pro and also install the final 10.13 EFI folder of your 10.13 HDD/SDD on your 950 Pro.​

4.) Then you boot with the 950 Pro and voala! you are running 10.13 macOS High Sierra on your 950 Pro

During the entire update procedure proposed above, your actual 10.12 Sierra System Disk will not be touched at all!

Alright? :wave:

Good luck! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Updated successfully but now my spacebar Quick Look feature no longer works do you have any recommendations?

spacebar Quick Look feature? What's that? :lol:

spacebar Quick Look feature? What's that? :lol:
So basically if you have MP3s videos audio tracks etc on you Hackintosh and have one highlighted you tap your space bar and your MP3 starts playing it's like a quick preview feature I've been using it since Yosemite now when I hit the space bar it does nothing. I tried reinstalling High Sierra twice no changes.

So basically if you have MP3s videos audio tracks etc on you Hackintosh and have one highlighted you tap your space bar and your MP3 starts playing it's like a quick preview feature I've been using it since Yosemite now when I hit the space bar it does nothing. I tried reinstalling High Sierra twice no changes.

O.K. I see... If this is your only issue I am more than happy with the results! :lol:

:clap::thumbup:

KGP

I just swapped EFI folders and DP3 stopped working :(
There were no changes in BIOS.
Just need to get old DP3 EFI given something changed on the new EFI for DP4.
I can compare the 2 and identify what's causing the issue.

I'm stuck at the same portion of the boot process as you (++++++ line), have you found any solutions yet? Have everything set according to the guide, just copied over my SMBIOS and it's not booting the installer for me :(.

I'm stuck at the same portion of the boot process as you (++++++ line), have you found any solutions yet? Have everything set according to the guide, just copied over my SMBIOS and it's not booting the installer for me :(.

Did you revise today's guide update? I cannot change anything and I do not know how to help.

In my case everything works flawless.

I do not believe when some users tell my that they did everything exactly as written in my guide and then they do not succeed because of some unknown error..

Be precise, describe your hardware configuration and explain what you did so far.. Then there might be help by myself or somebody else!

A single line just reporting that what you did does not work is absolutely useless without saying what you did!!!!

You consider yourself being perfect and doing everything properly... If something does not work out, it must be my guide, right?

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Did you revise today's guide update? I cannot change anything and I do not know how to help.

In my case everything works flawless.

I do not believe when some users tell my that they did everything exactly as written in my guide and then they do not succeed because of some unknown error..

Be precise, describe your hardware configuration and explain what you did so far.. Then there might be help by myself or somebody else!

A single line just reporting that what you did does not work is absolutely useless without saying what you did!!!!

You consider yourself being perfect and doing everything properly... If something does not work out, it must be my guide, right?

Cheers,

KGP

I have the setup in my profile, same CPU as you with an X99 Sabertooth and 32GB of RAM instead of 128. Trying to perform a clean install, created a USB, installed Clover to the USB drive, copied your EFI configuration from today, and updated the config for my personal SMBIOS. When trying to boot using verbose and nv_disable, it still is sticking at the (+++++) line. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
I have the setup in my profile, same CPU as you with an X99 Sabertooth and 32GB of RAM instead of 128. Trying to perform a clean install, created a USB, installed Clover to the USB drive, copied your EFI configuration from today, and updated the config for my personal SMBIOS. When trying to boot using verbose and nv_disable, it still is sticking at the (+++++) line. Thanks for the help :)

And why does it work in my case? Did you check all BIOS settings? Do you have xHCI in "Smart Auto" or "Enabled"? Do you use a USB 2.0 or USB3.0 Flash Drive?

Which further help do you expect from me? Remember that you have a different mobo... I am not a magician who can heal your issue from distance... ;)

Cheers,

KGP

And why does it work in my case? Did you check all BIOS settings? Do you have xHCI in "Smart Auto" or "Enabled"? Do you use a USB 2.0 or USB3.0 Flash Drive?

Which further help do you expect from me? Remember that you have a different mobo... I am not a magician who can heal your issue from distance... ;)

Cheers,

KGP

As I said I followed it precisely, I have BIOS configuration matching the guide, have a 3.0 flash drive in a 2.0 port just to be safe. I was replying to other poster originally seeing if he had a solution to the same problem, wasn't expecting anything at all

You have to use Mac Pro 6.1 SMBIOS in order to make AGDPFix work. You also need Mac Pro SMBIOS to make XCPM work.
Please change to Mac Pro 6.1 SMBIOS und you will be save! I am sure that this will solve your black screen issue.
You need to do this also for the yet to be released original 10.13 Web Driver. Otherwise you will face al there the same black screen issue!

Cheers,

KGP :thumbup:
Success Mr. Solar Physics! :clap: The Mac Pro 6.1 SMBIOS did the trick! The GPU is recognised but now we have to work on proper acceleration and transparency, if possible...
You're the man, thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 18.49.10.png :thumbup: :clap:

Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back