Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smooth X99 System Upgrade and X99 macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide Upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13 PB8/DP9 in less than one hour!

Overview-X99-10.13-PB8DP9.png

New EFi-Folder attached below and at the end of the originating post/guide.

Only Modification:
  • New PB8/DP9 apfs.efi in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/
Enjoy and have fun! :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X99-10.13-PB8-DP9-Release-020917.zip
    33.6 MB · Views: 158
I am very thanksful for the patience, support and feedback from all of you!

Together we are strong and we will succeed although it might still need some efforts and time! :thumbup:

The basic 10.13 guide is already there. However it still might need some refinements. With the help and feedback of all off you we will bring this story to its success! :thumbup:

I am convinced :headbang:
I would like to add that "kgp" has extraordinary communicating skills and that is why this thread is so successful and interesting, even to me that is not using the hardware that he is supporting so competently.

Smooth X99 System Upgrade and X99 macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide Upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13 PB8/DP9 in less than one hour!

View attachment 276184

New EFi-Folder attached below and at the end of the originating post/guide.

Only Modification:

• New PB8/DP9 apfs.efi in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/

View attachment 276185
I am also on DB9 although I am on Haswell as well as Skylake builds as reflected in my signature. I just wander if you could assist me with my GTX 970 and GTX 750 Ti problem. I have applied both of your "universal" methods to get the Nvidia driver working on Skylake DB9 with a GTX 970 as well as on my Haswell using a GTX 750 Ti. Both cards work without nv_disable=1 in the respective Clover r4184 config.plist file. The problem is that for both cards only 7 MB memory is recognized. Attached screenshot refers. Would appreciate your feedback and or pointer where I could perhaps be guided to to find a solution. Both builds use dual monitors but the patched Nvidia drivers with 7 MB memory only activate 1 monitor, the other remains black. I believe that if the under-reporting of memory can be resolved both systems will indeed have 2 monitors working. Greets/Gruesse

Attachments

• Gtx 970.jpeg
    Gtx 970.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 152
I am also on DB9 although I am on Haswell as well as Skylake builds as reflected in my signature. I just wander if you could assist me with my GTX 970 and GTX 750 Ti problem. I have applied both of your "universal" methods to get the Nvidia driver working on Skylake DB9 with a GTX 970 as well as on my Haswell using a GTX 750 Ti. Both cards work without nv_disable=1 in the respective Clover r4184 config.plist file. The problem is that for both cards only 7 MB memory is recognized. Attached screenshot refers. Would appreciate your feedback and or pointer where I could perhaps be guided to to find a solution. Both builds use dual monitors but the patched Nvidia drivers with 7 MB memory only activate 1 monitor, the other remains black. I believe that if the under-reporting of memory can be resolved both systems will indeed have 2 monitors working. Greets/Gruesse

Please note that point 4.) of the workaround was corrupted. My bad!

Point 4.) should properly read:

4.) Download, unzip and install the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext attached towards the end of this guide in S/L/E/ with the
accurate permissions using Kext Utility or any other kext utility of your choice.
It is mandatory to install the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext subsequently to the web driver installation and the web driver patching! That's why the web driver workaround does not work for you! Sorry for the inconvenience caused by the typo. I hope that the web driver workaround now will also successfully work in your case.

Best regards,

KGP

Please not that point 4.) of the workaround was corrupted. My bad!

4.) Download, unzip and install the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext attached towards the end of this guide in S/L/E/ with the
accurate permissions using Kext Utility or any other kext utility of your choice.
It is mandatory to install the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext subsequently to the web driver installation and the web driver patching! That's why the web driver workaround does not work for you! Sorry for the inconvenience caused by the typo. I hope that the web driver workaround now will also successfully work in your case.

Best regards,

KGP

You are a star, The Haswell build with the GTX 750 Ti is now working with correct memory being displayed and both monitors active. Will do the Skylake build shortly and provide feedback. Did not do it all over, only used the 10.12.6 One more happy customer.kext and then AGDPfix'ed it rebooted and voila it worked.
Greets

Please not that point 4.) of the workaround was corrupted. My bad!

Best regards,
KGP
My Skylake build is now also displaying the correct memory and both monitors are working as well. I am using APFS on spinning HDD's just for testing and evaluation purposes, all seems to be going well indeed. Will now attend to getting audio working whereafter I might use these 2 test installations for some less important daily activities. Will only upgrade my production machines, when High Sierra is finally released. Thanks again for your assistance and this wonderful and well written tutorial of yours.
Greets
Oh when I did the Skylake build of mine, in a different area of my place, and later on returned to the Haswell build, I found that it had "automatically" fallen asleep. A mouse click and it woke without a hitch, promising indeed.

Last edited:
Info.png Notification

Please take note that I will spent some mini-vacations from Thursday, September 7th until Sunday, September 10th. In the spirit of holidays and due to the expected poor internet coverage, I hardly will be able to respond on your estimated user feedback or to provide support in case of issues.

I regret for any inconvenience caused by my holidays. I will be back fully of energy by Monday next week... Any update of macOS 10.13 likely released in the meanwhile shall be implemented also by beginning of next week.

Kind regards,

KGP

If anyone can help me. I still need to work on implementing better power management and get sleep working (which I believe are related) however, it's been bugging me recently how hot my computer runs. Intel power gadget shows it at 48C almost constantly while in Windows it's 26C. I uploaded my config file, any ideas?

5820k asrock x99
Sierra 10.12.2

edit: I just checked and it seems the Cpu fans are running at a pretty low RPM. HW sensor reads that I only have 3 fans when in fact I know I have more but maybe some aren't plugged into the motherboard. Any advice.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
If anyone can help me. I still need to work on implementing better power management and get sleep working (which I believe are related) however, it's been bugging me recently how hot my computer runs. Intel power gadget shows it at 48C almost constantly while in Windows it's 26C. I uploaded my config file, any ideas?

5820k asrock x99
Sierra 10.12.2

edit: I just checked and it seems the Cpu fans are running at a pretty low RPM. HW sensor reads that I only have 3 fans when in fact I know I have more but maybe some aren't plugged into the motherboard. Any advice.

You are writing that you are on X99/10.12.2 but you post in my X99/10.13 thread. Is there any special reason for? If you follow my 10.12 guide, sleep/wake should work anyway as long you do not use PMDrvr.kext and EIST. If your CPU runs hot, it is sometimes of help to perform a CMOS reset on your mobo. If this does not help either, buy a powerful CPU water block from EKWB.

Cheers,

KGP

Smooth Broadwell-E/X99 System Upgrade and Broadwell-E/EP (Haswell-E/EP)/X99 macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide Upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13 Golden Master (GM) Candidate

Overview-X99-10.13-GM.png

New EFI-Folder attached here below and at the end of the originating post/guide of this thread.

System (EFI-Folder) related modifications:
  • New GM apfs.efi in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/
  • Clover UEFI Boot Loader Updated to Clover_v2.4k_r4200
Guide related modifications:
  • New guideline for extracting the most actual "apfs.efi" from the "Install macOS Sierra Beta.app"
  • Minor update/revision of the entire Broadwell-E/EP (Haswell-E/EP)/X99 macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X99-10.13-GM-Release-150917.zip
    19.7 MB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back