Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully understand now. Bit for the clean install of 10.13 DP4 you used my EFI-10.13-TM folder?
No my friend. With your EFI configuration I had troubles during boot so I grabbed my own config.plist. I can upload that file if you like to check it out. Cheers!

I uploaded your mybios1701 file .. I have the 1701 BIOS
I have done all the steps in the guide ...

And still can not install it
Stuck on the +++++++

How can this be? Which steps in my guide?

The idea was to just use identical BIOS settings and the identical EFI-10.13-TM directory on a USB 2.0 USB flash drive with the DP4 installer connected to a USB 3.0 port. No additional changes at all as we have same board and processor! This test has nothing to do with my guide!

Just load my bios settings, install the DP4 installer and the EFI folder contained in my EFI-10.13-TM directory on your USB 2.0 flash drive, connect it to a USB 3.0 port and boot!!!! No additional changes!!!

By the way when booting, press F8 as soon the the Asus Logo appears.

IMG_8456.JPG

Select in the BIOS Boot menu the USB 2.0 flash drive for booting the PB3/DP4 installer and press "OK"

IMG_8457.JPG

Once in the clover boot menu, you select once more the usb 2.0 flash drive partition, press enter and boot the DP4 installer!

IMG_8458.png

If you do not press F8 at the very beginning of the boot process (ASUS logo) and you do not explicitly select your USB 2.0 Flash Drive in the BIOS boot menu, the boot process will be performed via your system disk, which is not prepared for the PB3/DP4 install! Even when you then subsequently select the USB 2.0 installer partition in the clover boot menu to boot and install PB3/DP4, the boot will fail!

THE F8 BIOS BOOT DRIVE SELECTION IS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL AND MANDATORY FOR SUCCESSFULLY BOOTING THE PB3/DP4 INSTALLER ON YOUR USB FLASH DRIVE!
Did you do it like this???

By the way, what is the DP4 installer version you use? Mine is 13.0.40 (1340).

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 00.18.13.png

You get the version number by clicking in the menu bar on "Install macOS High Sierra Beta" -> "About Install macOS"

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 00.21.47.png

after executing the 10.13 Installer App on any Mac or Hack under 10.12 or 10.13.

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 00.24.53.png

Don't worry if you once executed the 10.13 Installer App on your Mac or Hack, you do not have to complete the PB3/DP4 updater/installer procedure and can interrupt it via the "Apple Menu" with "Force Quit.." at any time!

Now for testing and crosscheck, can you please upload the EFI Folder you are using on your USB 2.0 flash drive? Just to exclude user errors at your side?

Thanks

Last edited:
No my friend. With your EFI configuration I had troubles during boot so I grabbed my own config.plist. I can upload that file if you like to check it out. Cheers!

Yes please upload for those who have problems to run the DP4 installer with my config.plist. I want to compare also the differences.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have exactly same version of H.Sierra installer 1340

Reactions: kgp
Yes please upload for those who have problems to run the DP4 installer with my config.plist. I want to compare also the differences.

Thanks!
Here. :)

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.6 KB · Views: 241

Well my friend, I am not surprised that you had some problems with my EFI-Folder :lol:

You are using a Kaby-Lake processor and a Z170 with LGA1151 socket! :lol:

This guide is for Broadwell-E/Haswell-E and X99 with LGA 2011-3 Socket! ;)

Despite the external icons patch entry, there are no further KextToPatch or KernelToPatch entries in the config.plist. Which kind of power management are you using? Is XCPM natively supported?

Despite a of course different "FakeCPUID" and checked "Kernel CPU", "Kernel LAPIC", "Kernel PM" entries under "Kext and Kernel Patches" , the only other differences in your config.plist are a checked "FixShutdown_0004" entry under "ACPI" and the "rootless=0" and "dart=0" boot flags under "BOOT". Note that the "kext-dev-mode=1" boot flag is obsolete with the actual clover version.

I'm in exactly the same boat with the Deluxe-II. ++++++ no matter what, following the thread precisely.

I am currently investigating the source for the ++++++ problem. I do not think that this problem roots back to my EFI and BIOS configuration. In my case, the PB3/DP4 installer boots absolutely flawless. I rather think that there must be some user error at some point.

Now the most interesting investigation I am actually carrying out with @ICEVISION. He owns the identical mobo (ASUS X99-A II) and processor (i7-6950X) configuration, with identical BIOS settings and an identical EFI folder, but reports the same ++++++, which is simply impossible. His rig must boot flawless the DP4 installer like mine, but apparently does not because of unknown origin o_O

I asked him to do the test described in post #132 and post post #142. If you want, you can participate in this test investigation with your ASUS X99 Deluxe II and provide your user feedback.

We have to find the knot, why some users are not able to boot the PB3/DP4 installer, although in my case and with my BIOS, hardware and software configuration everything just works flawless.

Cheers,

KGP

I am currently investigating the source for the ++++++ problem. I do not think that this problem roots back to my EFI and BIOS configuration. In my case, the PB3/DP4 installer boots absolutely flawless. I rather think that there must be some user error at some point.

Now the most interesting investigation I am actually carrying out with @ICEVISION. He owns the identical mobo (ASUS X99-A II) and processor (i7-6950X) configuration, with identical BIOS settings and an identical EFI folder, but reports the same ++++++, which is simply impossible. His rig must boot flawless the DP4 installer like mine, but apparently does not because of unknown origin o_O

I asked him to do the test described in post #132 and post post #142. If you want, you can participate in this test investigation with your ASUS X99 Deluxe II and provide your user feedback.

We have to find the knot, why some users are not able to boot the PB3/DP4 installer, although in my case and with my BIOS, hardware and software configuration everything just works flawless.

Cheers,

KGP

Hi kgp
First of all thank you for all the support you provide
I really appreciate it!

Second, I really understand computers (just clarifies)
And I tried all the possible ways you could, plus all the other attempts I was thinking about

I even tried to disconnect the SSD with the 10.12 installation

I tried usb 2 flash drive on usb 3 and usb 2
I tried usb 3 flash drive on usb 2 and usb 3

And of course all possible flags....

I tried with xmp and without xmp

Still the same ++++++

Hi kgp
First of all thank you for all the support you provide
I really appreciate it!

Second, I really understand computers (just clarifies)
And I tried all the possible ways you could, plus all the other attempts I was thinking about

I even tried to disconnect the SSD with the 10.12 installation

I tried usb 2 flash drive on usb 3 and usb 2
I tried usb 3 flash drive on usb 2 and usb 3

And of course all possible flags....

I tried with xmp and without xmp

Still the same ++++++

I do not doubt in your computer knowledge and qualifications, but can you please explain me why with a now identical setup and configuration, the PB3/DP4 installer only boots on my rig??

Can you once more summarize your actual hardware configuration to see if there are other important deviations from my actual build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back