Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried the iMac Pro SMBIOS? Does it make any difference in GPU usage? I've been thinking of a dual 64 setup VS a Radeon VII. Or maybe just adding a second smaller GPU to the radeon maybe. Just trying to decrease export times since I'm doing a lot of 4K RAW editing. Thoughts? Thanks!

Apple iMac Pro 1,1 has a Xeon CPU, which doesn't have a video encoding and decoding hardware core (Quick Sync). Hence, even if iGPU enabled, macos won't utilize Qucik Sync core of a desktop CPU when iMac Pro SMBIOS applied. However if properly configured you won't even miss Quick Sync with dual GFX using FCPX.

Apple iMac Pro 1,1 has a Xeon CPU, which doesn't have a video encoding and decoding hardware core (Quick Sync).

@aedon,

Genuine Apple iMac 1,1 has custom T2 chip which is used for H264/H265 video encode/decode and is faster than IQS.

Cheers
Jay

@aedon,

Genuine Apple iMac 1,1 has custom T2 chip which is used for H264/H265 video encode/decode and is faster than IQS.

You know that and I know that. I wonder, however, how this information will help @revmedia to active utilize Quick Sync of his i9-9900K with iMac Pro SMBIOS applied while encoding HEVC or h.264? In such case the encoding software e.g. VideoProc uses only the 8 Cores of an i9-9900K but not the Quick Sync Core on the die. But maybe you have a solution.

You know that and I know that. I wonder, however, how this information will help @revmedia to active utilize Quick Sync of his i9-9900K with iMac Pro SMBIOS applied while encoding HEVC or h.264?

@aedon, @revmedia

Try using iMac19.1 SMBIOS rather than iMacPro1,1 ... Those iMac's could be specified with the same i9 9900K CPU and do not have a T2 chip so MacOS will favour the IGPU (and thus IQS) for video encode/decode as long as teh IGPU is configured correctly as "Headless" ... see this guide for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@aedon, @revmedia

Try using iMac19.1 SMBIOS rather than iMacPro1,1 ...

Well that was the issue m8. The question was whether you can use iMac Pro SMBIOS for utilizing Quick Sync or rather you need a iMac19.1 SMBIOS. As I wrote before, you can't use Quick Sync with iMac Pro SMBIOS. But you can use it with iMac19.1 SMBIOS. iMac Pro SMBIOS is easier to setup but you won't get Quick Sync to work.

Btw, thx for the guide but I have already a perfect running Catalina (Mojave as well) with iMac19.1 SMBIOS with DSDT, SSDT, MSR lock disabled, with just 4 kext and no need for nvram.plist. ;-)

Well that was the issue m8. The question was whether you can use iMac Pro SMBIOS for utilizing Quick Sync or rather you need a iMac19.1 SMBIOS. As I wrote before, you can't use Quick Sync with iMac Pro SMBIOS. But you can use it with iMac19.1 SMBIOS. iMac Pro SMBIOS is easier to setup but you won't get Quick Sync to work.

@aedon,

As is the case in the Hackintosh world you have to make compromises ...

As detailed in the DRM section of that guide, some users with CFL i9 CPU's have found that the only way you can get DRM working 100% is to use the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS with the IGPU disabled which will force the DRM decode on to the dGPU.

But as you have found using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS usually means no accelerated H264/H265 encode/decode as on a genuine iMacPro that is done by Apple's custom T2 chip.

Using the iMac19,1 SMBIOS should get accelerated H264/H265 encode/decode to work via IQS on the IGPU but in most cases DRM will not work 100% ... see the config matrix in the guide.

You have to decide which features are important to you and just accept that a Hackintosh is not a genuine Mac, sure you can get real close but there are always compromises.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@aedon,
Using the iMac19,1 SMBIOS should get accelerated H264/H265 encode/decode to work via IQS on the IGPU but in most cases DRM will not work 100% ... see the config matrix in the guide.

I know some ppl have problems with DRM, even with my mainboard but other GFXs. Nevetheless, no problem here. Netflix with Safari, iTunes plays DRM content, streaming DRM content to Apple TV, acceleration H.264/HEVC encode/decode works with Quick Sync on headless IGPU. Everything works like it suppose to.

Damn man, haha that might be the fastest I've ever seen. I thought my 6.8sec with my 8700k dual Vega 64 was impressive haha! How do you like the frontier's?

Damn man, haha that might be the fastest I've ever seen. I thought my 6.8sec with my 8700k dual Vega 64 was impressive haha! How do you like the frontier's?
working very well, but a guys from Brasil configure my config.plist, his did a really nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back