Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT!? Are you guys sure you had Background Rendering set to off in the preferences?
Absolutely. but it does seem pretty blazingly fast for a portable.

I did turn that off after I loaded the xml ... maybe it had already rendered in the BG and so it was fast. I assume if I delete it then reimport the xml it will force it to render from scratch? I’ll try that tonight.

OK, deleted it then reimported it, this time with BG off before I imported it. Ran the test a couple of times (deleted it each time).

BruceX Test 11.8 seconds.

16” MacBook Pro
2.3ghz 8 core i9 processor
eGPU ... Radeon RX Vega 56 8gb
64 gb memory
Catalina 10.5.1

I’ll test it later with the internal Radeon Pro 55000M

Last edited:
Absolutely. but it does seem pretty blazingly fast for a portable.

I did turn that off after I loaded the xml ... maybe it had already rendered in the BG and so it was fast. I assume if I delete it then reimport the xml it will force it to render from scratch? I’ll try that tonight.

OK, deleted it then reimported it, this time with BG off before I imported it. Ran the test a couple of times (deleted it each time).

BruceX Test 11.8 seconds.

16” MacBook Pro
2.3ghz 8 core i9 processor
eGPU ... Radeon RX Vega 56 8gb
64 gb memory
Catalina 10.5.1

I’ll test it later with the internal Radeon Pro 55000M
Thanks for re testing! Still very impressive, same time as me with a desktop and Vega64. :(

WHAT!? Are you guys sure you had Background Rendering set to off in the preferences?
Nopes, backgroundrending is off. However, I own a MBP 16" 2,4 Ghz 5500m as well, and I had an export time of 11,2 secs brucex. So I think waynefox indeed forgotten to turn off background rendering.

I have a strange problem which concerns my hackintosh and also my brand new MBP 16" 5500m (but not my old vega20 mbp):
I always copy brucex 4 times, then run the test and divide the result by 4. But since the new update 10.15.2 Catalina + 10.4.8 FCPX there is something wrong. The first export of 4 times brucex runs super fast, the second a little bit slower but the third is taking much longer. It looks like there is something wrong with memory or throttling. First I thought it was a hackintoshproblem (did a reinstall), but now it seems my MBP 16" 5500m is having the same problem. Can someone confirm this problem?

I have a strange problem which concerns my hackintosh and also my brand new MBP 16" 5500m (but not my old vega20 mbp):
I always copy brucex 4 times, then run the test and divide the result by 4. But since the new update 10.15.2 Catalina + 10.4.8 FCPX there is something wrong. The first export of 4 times brucex runs super fast, the second a little bit slower but the third is taking much longer. It looks like there is something wrong with memory or throttling. First I thought it was a hackintoshproblem (did a reinstall), but now it seems my MBP 16" 5500m is having the same problem. Can someone confirm this problem?

Yes, its slower each time i run the test
10.15.2 with 10.4.8
12s, 14s, 16s, 19s,

Yes, its slower each time i run the test
Same. Well, sort of, right now I am getting around 8-9secs until I repeat the test the 4th or 5th time, by then it's around 22secs. Why my initial results are faster than yours when I have a single Vega 64 and you have dual 5700 XT's I have no ideia why, shouldn't it be much faster for you?

The Activity Monitor GPU history window never shows more than 20-45% usage tho, the usage report there starts getting lower and lower with each test which explains the longer render times.. iStats, on the other hand, always reports 99% GPU usage, temps are fine (50C)... The usage is so low that the GPU fans dont even ramp up. All this is baffling to me. I wonder if this is a Hackintosh issue and doesn't happen on real Macs or if its the same.

It looks like macOS is using the GPU conservatively to keep noise/fans down, to an absurd degree.
usage.png

Results change in LOT depending on FCP and macOS versions too, on some versions it was 22secs, now it's been 8 secs, the previous version was 12sec, over the last few years I've seen it go up and down...

DaVinci Resolve, on the other hand, shows quite a bit more GPU usage under Activity Monitor but still doesn't go above 65% give or take, with occasional higher spikes.

The only thing I can think of is trying the new Mac Pro SMBIOS, maybe since it has superior cooling macOS uses the GPU's more aggressively.

Asrock z97 Extreme 4
i7 4790K OC all cores 4.4Ghz
16gb RAM 2400mhz EVGA DDR3
256GB Samsung 960 Evo NVMe SSD w/M.2 to PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter card.
Dual GPUs:
1. AMD HD 7870 Asus 2GB
2. AMD HD 7870 XFX Ghz edition

iGPU disabled, using iMac14,2 SMBIOS

Bruce-X - 5K / ProRess 422 codec / Final Cut Pro 10.4.4 / Catalina 10.15.1 = 24 seconds

Capture d’écran 2020-02-01 à 18.39.24.png

9' with fresh install and upgrade to 10.15.3 + changing smbios to imac 5k 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back