Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

I just installed succesfully 10.12.3 on my new build and i have some small issue. Forexample I have 16gb (dual kit) of ram installed and I see 64gb (quad kit) in the system. And another is, I know it is a common issue, I can't login with my apple ID and I know there are some guide for this, but I am a bit affraid to try anything :lol: So can I follow that imessage fixing guide or we have something special solution for that? (with this X99 platform).

Thank!:thumbup:

@Bagi1992 just follow that imessage fix. It does not matter if you are on x99 platform or other.

That's a patch based on Brumbaer's work and modified for Sierra by okrasit. As far as I know, the system won't boot without it. To test, simply remove it from config.plist (or put the flag Disable from Clover Configurator). Make sure you have some alternative way to get back on desktop, like a bootable usb ped drive or something

Did anybody with X99-A II and nVidia GTX 980 TI try a multi-monitor configuration on Sierra?

I do. I have a EVGA GTX 980 TI and two monitors: a Benq BL3200 (it's 4k) on DisplayPort and an older 1080p Insignia on HDMI off of the EVGA. Yes, it works. I use the small monitor for project windows, media bins and the larger monitor for timelines. I have found that booting with both on at the same time doesn't work well, so I turn on the small monitor after I boot. Other than that caveat, everything else seems to work okay. Here's why I boot with only one monitor: my EVGA card is only 10.5 inches long so it fits in my case in slot 3. But it only has 8+6 graphics card power connectors. I used to have an Asus Strix GTX 980 TI, but it was 11.5 inches long so it didn't fit in my case in slot 3, it did fit is the slot closest to the CPU, but not in slot 3 in my case (giacomoleopardo: think Thunderbolt and you will know why that was a problem). The Asus has 8+8 power connectors and I think it did a better job of powering the two monitors.

@kgp : I have a Samsung NVMe drive, and it's working fine. If it's of any help, I can share my configuration. You (and giacomoleopardo) were such great help to me, it's the least I can do. I wouldn't be on an X99-A II with a 6900K on Sierra 10.12.3 without you two. Anything I can do to help, just post.

I also am on version 1501 of the bios for the X99-A II, and I found a large difference between the two that Asus did not mention in it's summary on the bios update for that version. Version 1401 had a switch in the bios for M.2, U.2 or auto. In 1501, that switch is gone (either they removed it, or they really buried it - I looked and looked and I couldn't find it in 1501). Not sure why, and I can't get any information from Asus as to why it's gone, but my speculation is that Asus fixed something there, because I do believe NVMe drives work better under 1501. Mine does, at least.

Last edited:
I do. I have a EVGA GTX 980 TI and two monitors: a Benq BL3200 (it's 4k) on DisplayPort and an older 1080p Insignia on HDMI off of the EVGA. Yes, it works. I use the small monitor for project windows, media bins and the larger monitor for timelines. I have found that booting with both on at the same time doesn't work well, so I turn on the small monitor after I boot. Other than that caveat, everything else seems to work okay. Here's why I boot with only one monitor: my EVGA card is only 10.5 inches long so it fits in my case in slot 3. But it only has 8+6 graphics card power connectors. I used to have an Asus Strix GTX 980 TI, but it was 11.5 inches long so it didn't fit in my case in slot 3, it did fit is the slot closest to the CPU, but not in slot 3 in my case (giacomoleopardo: think Thunderbolt and you will know why that was a problem). The Asus has 8+8 power connectors and I think it did a better job of powering the two monitors.

@kgp : I have a Samsung NVMe drive, and it's working fine. If it's of any help, I can share my configuration. You (and giacomoleopardo) were such great help to me, it's the least I can do. I wouldn't be on an X99-A II with a 6900K on Sierra 10.12.3 without you two. Anything I can do to help, just post.

I also am on version 1501 of the bios for the X99-A II, and I found a large difference between the two that Asus did not mention in it's summary on the bios update for that version. Version 1401 had a switch in the bios for M.2, U.2 or auto. In 1501, that switch is gone (either they removed it, or they really buried it - I looked and looked and I couldn't find it in 1501). Not sure why, and I can't get any information from Asus as to why it's gone, but my speculation is that Asus fixed something there, because I do believe NVMe drives work better under 1501. Mine does, at least.

mm2margaret,

I am somewhat surprised. I think other users already reported here the successful use of two monitors without the necessity of switching one off while booting. They also provided information about their related configurations.

I recently updated my m.2 guide with the help of beep. Please have a look to it and let me know if you are satisfied with the instructions provided therein. However, further constructive suggestions or improvements are always welcome.

Currently, the most important step forward would be to achieve a fully working power management. If you want to help in this direction, you are very welcome, although I think also Thireus is on it at present.

Ok, I'll try to find more info about it and will report back here.

Still working on my OC. I need to find the limit, then I'll play with XCPM frequencies.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2136050

Thireus, can you please have a look to the updated part of my originating post/guide concerning the 6950X power management and tell me what I am missing or doing wrong? The power management is still not working in my case. No turbo, no frequency vectors. I think the most important step would be now to provide to the community all instructions to achieve a stable basic power management function for the system. Afterwards one can play with the OC settings.

Many thanks in advance and cheers!

Last edited:
Thireus, can you please have a look to the updated part of my originating post/guide concerning the 6950X power management and tell me what I am missing or doing wrong? The power management is still not working in my case. No turbo, no frequency vectors, random reboots with the SDST.aml generated with sysPRGen.sh. I think the most important step would be now to provide to the community all instructions to achieve a stable basic power management function for the system. Afterwards one can play with the OC settings.

Many thanks in advance and cheers!
This thread is very interesting! Thanks guys! In my guide I did a new bios setup (with unlocked bios), along with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and VoodooTSCSync.kext, which gives us all the SpeedSteps, a moderate overclocking (4,2 GHz + 2666 MHz DDR4) with stability and no random reboots. However there are no C-states. The method you're using (based on PikeRAlpha's discovering) use some kernel patches that are under experimental tests right now. Something here is still missing. Of course we're talking about a complete lack of Apple's hardware, but at least the "old" configuration gives us stability. Why don't give it a chance hoping that a new X99 based macpro would come out?

Not working. The computer restarts.

Thireus, my X86PlatformPlugin.kext is not loading. How can I add the required plugin-type property for CPU0?

Last edited:
I am running 2 monitors on boot on my x99 Deluxe II with a Titan X Card. Check out Shiloh's post on SSDT patching for the graphics card. This is what I did.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/

Thanks. I've already tried that method, which I find the best one to bypass the Graphics Policy black screen on MacPro 6,1. No luck, though. I guess I keep doing some kind of mistake on compiling the ssdt. Would you mind to share yours, please? I know it's a different board (Asus X99-A II for me), but that would be helpful anyway. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back