Contribute
Register

[Solved] System reboots when I start GPU stress or use 3D soft - GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first reaction to reading your problem was of a power-supply issue. It's typically when the going gets tough that a top-end GPU like yours will start drinking power and if the system diverts too much from the rest of the components you get a crash.

However, having said that, your PSU is a powerful one and you mention this getting worse when you change O/S version. Plenty of other builders have put together machines this powerful - and more - without the issue.

So ... Perhaps try that GPU in a different PCIe slot. I know they will be slower assuming you have it currently in slot PCIeX16 but it might be a valid check that the GPU can run in a lesser one with sufficient power (assuming you've checked the PSU leads and connectors etc). Hopefully there will be no configuration problems...

I might be way off mark but your problem sounds like power to me.

Good luck anyway

Hello, I also think it's a power problem. If I change gpu of slot... I should reinstall Sierra, multibeast or something else after?
I was about to do a new fresh installation of El Capitan, but now I think it is best to install windows to test if the hardware is good.

Have you implemented Power Management ?

I already implemented PM. This time I tried with Cinema 4d, the system was rebooted in a couple of minutes after touching some parameters, nothing complex.
I have the Power Management test on txt file (see attached)

PS: With geekbench 4.1: CUDA & Metal test don't works (Closes instantly), OpenCL works for a few seconds and it closes. I did not get any results for gpu from this software.

Attachments

• Power Management test.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 206
If I was in your position I would try a fresh install onto a spare drive.

If I was in your position I would try a fresh install onto a spare drive.

Yes. I'm going to try El Capitan 10.11.6 (the only version that can be downloaded from app store). I hope it works, then I'll tell you. Thank you.

SOLVED!... You were right, the problem was power. My PSU was malfunctioning, perhaps because of an early deterioration. I also spoke with a PSU technician who had the same problem with exactly the same PSU. So... my advice is: never buy this PSU Thermaltake 750w Bronze. I have now a Cooler Master 720w Silent Pro, everything is perfect now.
What a fright!.. back to Windows ... ufff ... never!

Thank you all!.. Now I can sleep again.

PS: I also discovered that many benchmark softwares are liars.

I have the same issue with my config.
However my GPU gets the power only through the PCI port. It does require only 75 W.
So I am not 100% sure if it's the PSU.

What do you think?

SOLVED!... You were right, the problem was power. My PSU was malfunctioning, perhaps because of an early deterioration. I also spoke with a PSU technician who had the same problem with exactly the same PSU. So... my advice is: never buy this PSU Thermaltake 750w Bronze. I have now a Cooler Master 720w Silent Pro, everything is perfect now.
What a fright!.. back to Windows ... ufff ... never!

Thank you all!.. Now I can sleep again.

PS: I also discovered that many benchmark softwares are liars.

I have the same issue with my config.
However my GPU gets the power only through the PCI port. It does require only 75 W.
So I am not 100% sure if it's the PSU.

What do you think?

Hello,

Have you solved the problem?

Thanks

I dont know what for gpu you're using.
I have a gigabyte one, and they had a newer firmware for my gpu,
( According to the docs, the new firmware was for "Samsung Memory issues")

I updated it and the problems were gone.

So I can recommend to check for newer firmware for the gpu, and maybe for the mobo too

Hello,

Have you solved the problem?

Thanks

Hello,
Thanks for your answer.
I'm not even using an external GPU, I am using the internal HD 630.
I guess I must be having a different issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back