Contribute
Register

Refusing new kext's and kextd stall

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I boot with inject kexts I'm getting this screen:
View attachment 448297

But I'm using the EFI folder I earlier mentioned? Shouldn't it boot without going to the error screen? :s

That screen has nothing to do with kexts. It's just telling you that you had a kernel panic.

Try clearing NVRAM by pressing F11 at the Clover boot menu.

That screen has nothing to do with kexts. It's just telling you that you had a kernel panic.

Try clearing NVRAM by pressing F11 at the Clover boot menu.

When I press F11 the screen goes full black for few seconds and boots the machine, and nothing really seems to be changed :s

When I press F11 the screen goes full black for few seconds and boots the machine, and nothing really seems to be changed :s

Let me make sure I understand...

With kexts injected, you get kernel panics.

Without kexts injection, it boots to macOS.

Correct?

Let me make sure I understand...

With kexts injected, you get kernel panics.

Without kexts injection, it boots to macOS.

Correct?

Wrote down all my findings, every one is started by completely shutting down the machine:

"Boot macOS with selected options" -> apple logo with loading bar till ~60% -> reboot -> kernel panic screen -> apple logo with loading bar till ~60% -> reboot

"Boot macOS with injected kexts" -> apple logo with loading bar till ~60% -> reboot

"Boot macOS without injected kexts" -> apple logo full -> macOS

Wrote down all my findings, every one is started by completely shutting down the machine:

"Boot macOS with selected options" -> apple logo with loading bar till ~60% -> reboot -> kernel panic screen -> apple logo with loading bar till ~60% -> reboot

"Boot macOS with injected kexts" -> apple logo with loading bar till ~60% -> reboot

"Boot macOS without injected kexts" -> apple logo full -> macOS

Sounds like you have conflicting kexts in /Library/Extesnions/.

Figure out which hackintosh kexts you need for full functionality.
Move (not copy) all those kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and delete any other kexts that my be in there.
In config.plist > RT Variables > CsrActiveConfig, enter "0x0" (without the quotes).
In config.plist > System Parameters > Inject Kexts set to "Yes".
Done.

Which is pretty much what I said back in Post #2 :)

I really think it's time to stop endorsing installing kexts in /Library/Extensions/. There are ZERO benefits to doing so and just causes confusion and difficulty when trying to help people troubleshoot.

I really think it's time to stop endorsing installing kexts in /Library/Extensions/. There are ZERO benefits to doing so and just causes confusion and difficulty when trying to help people troubleshoot.

Totally agree.
Back when there was a big difference of opinion on the subject I decided to test it on some of my machines.
I can honestly say that I have not noticed any difference in performance and have yet to see a posted problem from anyone that could be directly attributed to having kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other only.
Now with the enhanced security features in Catalina there is an even more compelling reason for it.

Totally agree.
Back when there was a big difference of opinion on the subject I decided to test it on some of my machines.
I can honestly say that I have not noticed any difference in performance and have yet to see a posted problem from anyone that could be directly attributed to having kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other only.
Now with the enhanced security features in Catalina there is an even more compelling reason for it.

I have also done A LOT of testing of kext injection vs not injected and found absolutely no differences in stability.

I have also done A LOT of testing of kext injection vs not injected and found absolutely no differences in stability.
i have also done a lot of testing on my laptop and have kept all 3rd party kexts in OpenCore, nothing bad has happened, boot time is the same etc, no loss of performance that i can see either. i have now stopped encouraging peeps on installing kexts to /L/E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back