Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As i said: OpenGL will still be needed to make it full work so i don't think Launchpad woks perfect.. Anyway replacing the kext. will fix:

1. Sleep/Wake
2. Monitor Off and On
3. Boot (without Blue screen or Black screen)

cheers

Oh man! You guys do not get it at all.:banghead: This does not 'fix' a thing! It breaks the Nvidia drivers completely. The Lion GeForce kext cannot work in Mountain Lion , as Apple have made a huge change to the way the Nvidia drivers operate. I have said this 3-4 times on this thread already... Mountain Lion cannot load this kext and so doing, DISABLES ALL NVIDIA DRIVERS. That is why not only OpenCL is missing, but QE / CI is missing too. QE / CI is what all versions of OSX use to display GUI effects such as DashBoard ripple effect, Transparent Menu Bar & Launchpad. OpenCL is for graphics acceleration in pretty much the same way as OpenGL which will also not work with this kext.

So, what is better? An OS with ML kexts that does not sleep but has most of it;s functionality, or an OS with the wrong kext (Lion) installed causing Nvidia kexts to malfunction so that you end up with a pretty useless operating system that does sleep and let's you turn off your monitor. Shame on you LisaPower.:crazy: You should know better. You have been around this thread and seen the posts that myself and others have had to say about this numerous times in the past on this long winded thread.

Bottom line! Lion Geforce kexts do not function in Mountain Lion whatsoever. There have been too many changes in the way the GeForce kext interacts with the rest of the OS. Those changes make the Lion GeForce kext useless in Mountain Lion. To make it simpler to understand... It's the same thing as using Windows XP drivers to run a graphics card in Windows 7. Not possible. The OS will not be able to use them. In fact, try this! Put back the ML kexts, but disable GeForce.kext. reboot and compare what you have with the GeForce kext disable as to what you get using the Lion kext. The same thing! In fact, an easier way is to boot -x (safe mode). That also disables Nvidia drivers. Same thing.:eek: But... sleep will work and you won't get a blue screen. Know what i am saying?!

The only solution is for someone to rewrite the Nvidia drivers and include support for the chipsets that Apple have no need to support. That same person will have to re-write the drivers every time Apple release an update which affects Nvidia drivers. But there will not be a fix from Apple. Nvidia have no reason to write drivers for graphics cards that Apple have no use for.

Geeeesh! I don;t mean to go on. I am trying to help you from making a truly big mistake. Unsuspecting others will try the same thing and this thread will just keep going around in circles getting bigger and bigger and less informative. Every 3rd page has someone claiming the same FIX - Lion GeForce Kext! Tonymac has not given any help as he does not have the ability to rewrite the GeForce drivers. He merely collects solutions from different sources all over the internet and compiles everyone elses work into one package which he calls MultiBeast. Nothing wrong with that. But you guys are expecting him to wave a magic wand and make a graphics card suddenly become supported.

I would also like to see the issue resolved as I have had to buy a 560 card to move on.:rolleyes: I am going to use the 550 in a machine that does not need a fully functional card. but this thread will not help if every third page has people suggesting the same thing as 3 pages ago which is clearly NOT a solution.

As i said: OpenGL will still be needed to make it full work so i don't think Launchpad woks perfect.. Anyway replacing the kext. will fix:

1. Sleep/Wake
2. Monitor Off and On
3. Boot (without Blue screen or Black screen)

cheers

Well that didn't solve anything. surprise surprise. Is it better just to sell the card and get another one?

Oh man! You guys do not get it at all.:banghead: This does not 'fix' a thing! It breaks the Nvidia drivers completely. The Lion GeForce kext cannot work in Mountain Lion , as Apple have made a huge change to the way the Nvidia drivers operate. I have said this 3-4 times on this thread already... Mountain Lion cannot load this kext and so doing, DISABLES ALL NVIDIA DRIVERS. That is why not only OpenCL is missing, but QE / CI is missing too. QE / CI is what all versions of OSX use to display GUI effects such as DashBoard ripple effect, Transparent Menu Bar & Launchpad. OpenCL is for graphics acceleration in pretty much the same way as OpenGL which will also not work with this kext.

So, what is better? An OS with ML kexts that does not sleep but has most of it;s functionality, or an OS with the wrong kext (Lion) installed causing Nvidia kexts to malfunction so that you end up with a pretty useless operating system that does sleep and let's you turn off your monitor. Shame on you LisaPower.:crazy: You should know better. You have been around this thread and seen the posts that myself and others have had to say about this numerous times in the past on this long winded thread.

Bottom line! Lion Geforce kexts do not function in Mountain Lion whatsoever. There have been too many changes in the way the GeForce kext interacts with the rest of the OS. Those changes make the Lion GeForce kext useless in Mountain Lion. To make it simpler to understand... It's the same thing as using Windows XP drivers to run a graphics card in Windows 7. Not possible. The OS will not be able to use them. In fact, try this! Put back the ML kexts, but disable GeForce.kext. reboot and compare what you have with the GeForce kext disable as to what you get using the Lion kext. The same thing! In fact, an easier way is to boot -x (safe mode). That also disables Nvidia drivers. Same thing.:eek: But... sleep will work and you won't get a blue screen. Know what i am saying?!

The only solution is for someone to rewrite the Nvidia drivers and include support for the chipsets that Apple have no need to support. That same person will have to re-write the drivers every time Apple release an update which affects Nvidia drivers. But there will not be a fix from Apple. Nvidia have no reason to write drivers for graphics cards that Apple have no use for.

Geeeesh! I don;t mean to go on. I am trying to help you from making a truly big mistake. Unsuspecting others will try the same thing and this thread will just keep going around in circles getting bigger and bigger and less informative. Every 3rd page has someone claiming the same FIX - Lion GeForce Kext! Tonymac has not given any help as he does not have the ability to rewrite the GeForce drivers. He merely collects solutions from different sources all over the internet and compiles everyone elses work into one package which he calls MultiBeast. Nothing wrong with that. But you guys are expecting him to wave a magic wand and make a graphics card suddenly become supported.

I would also like to see the issue resolved as I have had to buy a 560 card to move on.:rolleyes: I am going to use the 550 in a machine that does not need a fully functional card. but this thread will not help if every third page has people suggesting the same thing as 3 pages ago which is clearly NOT a solution.

issue resolved go and watch this video.

http://youtu.be/RfcD4Ek29iQ

Well I can say this works for me and now i have all working like a charm, the only thing that i have to do is change the versions of the kexts of Lion and put the Mountain Lion version, and replace the GeForceGLDriver file from the GeForceGLDriver.bundle with the one that's come with Mountain Lion kext and now everything works for me :)

Well I can say this works for me and now i have all working like a charm, the only thing that i have to do is change the versions of the kexts of Lion and put the Mountain Lion version, and replace the GeForceGLDriver file from the GeForceGLDriver.bundle with the one that's come with Mountain Lion kext and now everything works for me :)

well i resolved the issues manually and u are right.. my card 550ti work excellent smoothly.. just some apps that are compatible with mountain lion should be downloaded.. it wuld be kind brother to go see my video of fix though thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/RfcD4Ek29iQ

Step-by-step instructions please? I've just installed 10.8.1 and noticed the following changes:
-no artifacts on lock
-changing resolution doesn't bluescreen anymore, have a glitched screen with a beachball.
From what I hear, you seem to contradict yourself in the first sentence. I would like a coherent instruction list so we can all know what to do 100%.
Glad you found a solution. Are you running 10.8.1 btw?
Also, do you have a 550ti? I see no mention of a 550ti in either your profile or the comment.

Well I just took a look inside the 10.8.2 package and there seems to be an update for the Nvidia cards. I will install it and let you know how it goes.

OK well I installed the 10.8.2 beta and sorry to say that all the same issues are there, looks like this beta does not fix anything. On the bright side my USB3 finally works with the new beta.

Step-by-step instructions please? I've just installed 10.8.1 and noticed the following changes:
-no artifacts on lock
-changing resolution doesn't bluescreen anymore, have a glitched screen with a beachball.
From what I hear, you seem to contradict yourself in the first sentence. I would like a coherent instruction list so we can all know what to do 100%.
Glad you found a solution. Are you running 10.8.1 btw?
Also, do you have a 550ti? I see no mention of a 550ti in either your profile or the comment.

I agree, a little tutorial would be fine. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back