Contribute
Register

Is this the real end of hackintosh? M1 Macs

The real end of Hackintosh??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder how many hackintoshers actually use older versions of Mac OS (20-30% ??), I honestly see no point in hackintoshing an outdated OS, the idea, from my perspective, always was to have equal hardware for a lot less cost, or more powerful hardware for a lot less cost, or just more versatility than what apple hardware gives you. But always using the latest version of the OS.
Can only answer for myself. Progress of the MacOS has been somewhat chaotic, as I remember. Changing from PowerPC to Intel CPUs (and consequently the OS from 9.2.2 to 10) was both progressive and in some ways regressive, i.e. one can no longer play the video games "Obsidian" (for example) and others under the later OS. So one might want to keep around Mac OS 10.4.11 on a PPC G5, just to be able to do that using "Classic." Dropping nVidia's Pascal graphics drivers when "upgrading" from High Sierra to Mojave could be a motive to keep Mac OS X 10.13, just to avoid having to buy a different brand of graphics card to enjoy full graphics acceleration. Dropping 32-bit applications going from Mojave 10.14 to Catalina 10.15 also is not really a forward step from the user's point of view, because it eliminates options.

In my case, I have choices because I have kept earlier versions of both hardware and software. YMMV.

Can only answer for myself. Progress of the MacOS has been somewhat chaotic, as I remember. Changing from PowerPC to Intel CPUs (and consequently the OS from 9.2.2 to 10) was both progressive and in some ways regressive, i.e. one can no longer play the video games "Obsidian" (for example) and others under the later OS. So one might want to keep around Mac OS 10.4.11 on a PPC G5, just to be able to do that using "Classic." Dropping nVidia's Pascal graphics drivers when "upgrading" from High Sierra to Mojave could be a motive to keep Mac OS X 10.13, just to avoid having to buy a different brand of graphics card to enjoy full graphics acceleration. Dropping 32-bit applications going from Mojave 10.14 to Catalina 10.15 also is not really a forward step from the user's point of view, because it eliminates options.

In my case, I have choices because I have kept earlier versions of both hardware and software. YMMV.

Don't tell anyone because it's a secret, but I run Mojave as my daily driver. It's rock-solid, runs all the apps I own and paid money for (except a PPC version of X-Word!) And has recently received the latest Security Updates. True, this may stop in October but right now i'm happy.

Until June 2022, nothing is behind schedule.
Thanks for being the voice of practicality in the face of Chicken Little, The Sky Is Falling!

going for a double boot. Catalina and Big Sur, then maybe linux later.

I've been using m1s but prefer my simple downgraded system.

just like being able to upscale and downscale with my needs and parts prices.

I wonder if anyone has concrete info in regards the M1 missing UEFI, does M1 got rid of UEFI for good? Does not even suppot UEFI boot from from USB for other oes-es?

I am currently editing video on a Hackintosh built in 2016/17 running Catalina and DaVince Resolve 16. It works flawlessly and the only upgrade I have made was from an Nvida 1060 to a Radeon 580 a while back. That said, I am concerned that I will be OS'd out soon if not by Apple then by BlackMagic crippling my current system. I too am waiting for a new more powerful Mac mini and though I would love one of the new rumoured iMac 32 inch M? machines on the horizon, I am sure that though they will be beautiful they will be very pricey.

About the x86 vs M1 battle, there's an interesting interview that came out today with Intel's Pat Gelsinger.
Apparently he says he hopes to (eventually) win back Apple's business and trust with better products.

>

Current AMD GPUs are the end of hackintosh

I'm happy with my three Hackintoshes and cannot see a reason to replace any of them. However, now that I've seen the test results on the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, I would not consider building another Hackintosh. I'd go with the first desktop Mac to use one of those latest chips, if I needed another computer (I don't care for laptops).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back