Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC Monterey Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 + Core i7 8750H + Samsung 1TB 960 EVO PCIE NVME

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This guide is an updated version of my last guide on the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 laptop for High Sierra. Please refer to my previous guide to install on High Sierra with Clover.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-29-at-12.36.01-AM-B.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.13.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.28.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.31.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.02.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 12.44.01 AM.png

COMPONENTS & SPEC
  • Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-77TD
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM (can support up to max 32GB)
  • Intel H370 Chipset (Coffee Lake Mobile)
  • Intel UD630 Internal Graphics
  • Intel Core i7 8750H 2.2-2.8GHz 8th gen CPU
  • Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti Graphics w/ 4GB RAM
  • Samsung 1TB 960 EVO PCIE NVME (for Windows/Mac - user upgraded from included Intel 256GB NVMe SSD)
  • Samsung 860 EV0 500GB SSD (user upgraded)

Other tools needed
  • 16GB USB Key (for Opencore installation)
  • Spare Hackintosh/Mac (for editing if necessary)
  • USB 3.0 external slot drive (for copying/editing files and data)
  • Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner (for cloning drives)
  • Windows 10 installation on spare SSD/HD or NVMe drive
  • USB Keyboard/mouse in case PS2 controller does not work
  • Hackintool
  • Opencore 0.7.5
  • Opencore Configurator 2.52.01
  • Kexts from github.com/acidanthera and github.com/copynewt
  • SSDTPRGen or equivalent

What works

NVME detection and boot-up
Intel IGPU detection
VDA Hardware acceleration - H264 only (on Intel)
Intel AC4560 Wireless
Intel Bluetooth (with OC 0.7.8 & new Bluetooth drivers)
2nd hard drive slot
Internal audio
USB 3.1, 3.0 & 2.0 (hot-plugging and eject on USB 3.1 works)
Full sound with volume adjustment, including microphone
Full screen 1080P
Video playback
Ethernet
Trackpad
Battery indicator
Acer keyboard volume controls
Airdrop (with OC 0.7.8 & new Bluetooth drivers)
Screen-mirroring (with OC 0.7.8 & new Bluetooth drivers)
SD card slot (with new 12.3+ update, using new Realtek SD card driver in Monterey)
Backlight
Trackpad gesture controls (with new 12.3+ update)

What doesn't

Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (disabled via SSDT)

Not tested

HDMI output

SETUP

Making USB bootable installer:

Getting a copy of macOS Monterey:
If you have a Windows only system you can follow this guide to make a bootable USB stick but download Monterey:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-usb-installer-using-opencore.296375/

If you have a Mac, you can grab a copy of macOS using this script and running it in Terminal:
https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS

(First release: 29th March 2022)

With this build I have managed to get most of the functions enabled for Monterey on the Acer Nitro 5 using Opencore 0.7.5. This also includes the Intel IGPU, trackpad and keyboard, internal sound card, built-in mic, 1Gbe ethernet LAN and all external USB ports. HD output has not been tested. The system is set using MacbookPro14,3 SMBIOS.

For technical reasons I have disabled the Intel Bluetooth drivers in the EFI and waiting for a better version to be released before I will include it in the EFI. The SD card is also non-functioning due to the Sinetek-rtsx driver used crashing with Monterey. The Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti card has been disabled due to lack of support under Monterey.

To use, follow the link above to setup the USB installer. Using MountEFI or Opencore Configurator, mount the EFI partition on the USB stick. Download the EFI below, place into the USB EFI partition and add your own UUID, rom and board serials to use.

Update: 12th April 2022

I have updated the OC to 0.7.9 and now including fully working Bluetooth drivers with BlueToolFixup 2.6.1 & IntelBluetoothFirmware 2.1.0. The SD card slot is still disabled because of the faulty Sinetek driver but everything else works including Airdrop, WiFi, Screen Mirroring and of course Bluetooth. This is probably the most complete macOS build I have seen for the Nitro 5.

I have also included a small BT package for those who only need the working Bluetooth kexts.

Note on HDMI output: For those interested. I have found that it may be possible to output to the Nvidia HDMI out port using the UEFIGraphicsFB.kext but it will lack any acceleration. > https://github.com/acidanthera/UEFIGraphicsFB

Update: 14th April 2022

I have finally resolved the SD card slot problem with using new Realtek SD card reader drivers which directly replaces the crashing Sinetek driver. A separate zip download has also been made for those two files.

Update: 16th April 2022

Gesture controls for the trackpad have finally been fixed.

Update: 11th June 2022

I have updated OC to 0.8.1 and EFI is now confirmed working with Big Sur 11.6, Monterey 12.4 & is Ventura ready.
To use WiFi for Big Sur or Monterey use Airportitlwm.kext. For other macOS use itlwm.kext.

Update: 8th June 2023

Been a while since the last update but the EFI for the Nitro 5 has been updated to OC 0.9.3 and works fully with Ventura 13.2+. Despite being updated to v2.2.0 I have however discovered there may be issues with Airportitlwm and the Intel AC9560 Wifi card in Ventura. If so you may have to disable it and just use ethernet.

Update: 25th June 2023

Updated the EFI to the latest OC 0.9.4. Ventura now works fully as does the Intel AC9560 Wifi.

Attachments

• EFI 12.zip
    24.9 MB · Views: 532
  • BT kexts.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 394
  • RealtekSDCardReader.zip
    150.3 KB · Views: 250
  • EFI 12.3+.zip
    25 MB · Views: 652
  • EFI OC 0.8.1 11.6+ 13.zip
    42.6 MB · Views: 772
  • EFI OC 0.9.3 13.2.zip
    27.9 MB · Views: 132
  • EFI OC 0.9.4 13.2+.zip
    33 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:
I have added a new update for the Acer Nitro 5 to OC 0.7.9. Now Airdrop, Bluetooth, Screen-mirroring and WiFi all work.

If anyone has downloaded the latest 12.3+ EFI, I just discovered a slight error with the efi Drivers which may cause boot issues (now corrected). It should be using OpenHFSPlus with some non-essential ones removed.

So I am happy to report that I've added High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina support on OC with this machine.
The IGPU fully works under all three macOS versions as do some of the other main functions.

Screenshot-2022-09-15-at-7.18.11-AM-B.png

In addition, I've added an EFI for Sierra as part of a test I was doing. Yes folks, Sierra now works on Coffee Lake with the Acer Nitro 5!

Screen-Shot-2022-09-15-at-7.03.26-AM-B.png

You can find the downloads in the first post here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...10-13-6-intel-vram-trackpad-fix-guide.308477/

So my Nitro 5 suffered a malfunction recently. The hinge on the right side of the laptop basically had sheered off about a month ago, which meant the frame would buckle when opening or closing.

IMG_8952.png

So I've taken the liberty to pull the thing apart and see if I can get it fixed myself. It's not looking too good sadly. The hinges need to be replaced as well as the panel AND back lid (brass mounting grommets had came off and panel had somehow started showing glitching). Currently waiting for the parts to arrive.

IMG_8951.png

IMG_8954.png

IMG_8955.png

IMG_8956.png

Good afternoon friend, I'm doing the hackintosh on my nitro 5 with 13.6, installing the latest efi 13.2+ the bluetooth doesn't work, when installing the kexts I encounter the error in memory panic stackshot succeded, could you help me?

Good afternoon friend, I'm doing the hackintosh on my nitro 5 with 13.6, installing the latest efi 13.2+ the bluetooth doesn't work, when installing the kexts I encounter the error in memory panic stackshot succeded, could you help me?
Hi there,

Okay first of all, did you set your BIOS settings as I had mentioned in the guide? Also have you generated and added your own UUID, MLB & ROM serials into the EFI? You need to have all of these done for it to work.

Also please understand the latest build is for up to macOS Ventura and not latest Sonoma. If you need to run Sonoma you will need to update the OC to 0.9.5 as well as update all the kexts including Lilu, Whatevergreen, VirtualSMC, AppleALC, Airportitlwm, BluetoolFixup, IntelBluetoothFirmware and IntelBTPatcher for the Bluetooth.

Hello, all the BIOS settings are as per the tutorial, do I have to manually transfer the Bluetooth kext to the EFI/OC/Kexts folder? If so, I still managed to do this but without success, Bluetooth still doesn't work. Or do I need to use a program for that? Sorry for the misinformation, I'm still new to hackitnosh

Hello, all the BIOS settings are as per the tutorial, do I have to manually transfer the Bluetooth kext to the EFI/OC/Kexts folder? If so, I still managed to do this but without success, Bluetooth still doesn't work. Or do I need to use a program for that? Sorry for the misinformation, I'm still new to hackitnosh
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

no support for your nvidia card

Yes you do need to replace them all. Just download them from their relevant Github sites. Select the Release versions found on the right of the Github site, download, unzip and then copy over the required kext file to the EFI/OC/Kexts.

The next thing you may need to do is change the SMBIOS to MacBook Pro15,2. I've heard this helps to enable Bluetooth on the AC9560 card.

Please note my build is designed only to enable and run the Intel IGPU on the Nitro 5. The Nvidia 1050 Ti DGPU is disabled.

Back