1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UtterDisbelief's Kaby Lake Build:
Gigabyte GA-Z270-Gaming K3 - i3-7320 - Built as Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB - then from Sept '17 AMD RX560

Lian1-c.jpg

Lian1-s.jpg

Components

Gigabyte Z270-Gaming K3 1151 Full-ATX DDR4 Motherboard
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NBOTNZW/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB kit (8GBx2) 3000mhz DIMM, DDR4
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0134EW7G8/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Intel Core i3 7320 Dual Core CPU Retail Socket 1151, 4.1GHz, 4MB cache
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSTCUY8/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Zalman CNPS11X CPU Cooler
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006G2BEOW/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Noctua 120mm PWM fan (CPU)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006I6HMXI/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC 2GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MG1MP73/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX560 Gaming OC 2GB GDDR5DVI/DP/HDMI
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071S37KT2/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Crucial MX200 250GB SSD - Main O/S Drive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RQA6DTE/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Western Digital 500GB SATA III Black Data Drive
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008968L6M/?tag=tonymacx86-21

ABWB 802.11AC WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS Combo Card For Hackintosh (MAC OS X) Airport Computers, Supports Hands-off
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Pioneer DVD-RW SATA Optical Drive
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FJG8R6/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Lian LI PC-6B PC Case Midi-Tower USB 3.0 Black
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FJG8R6/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Corsair CX500M ATX Power Supply Semi-Modular
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ALK1GFC/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 140mm case fan (Front)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JMEMAE8/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Comments

My previous system was very reliable but I was keen to try Kaby Lake, with the prospect of proper support in macOS apparently on the horizon.

For this build I moved to a full-size ATX motherboard and new Lian-Li case. Some parts were either re-used or re-bought after I’d sold some of the old components surprisingly quickly. A little too quickly as it turned out.

This build was started using my original Crucial SSD, so 10.12.5 was already installed and working well from my previous Skylake machine. There are plenty of great guides hereabout to tell you how to do this, so I’ll concentrate on the Kaby Lake stuff instead.

The hardware went together easily - with more space to work in, in the larger case. Same general set-up though: SSD for the OS and a hard-drive for data. Discrete GPU and large air-cooler for the CPU.

On first boot I just had to use the FakeCPUID of 0x0506E3 which tells the system to emulate a Skylake one and thus boot macOS. You enter this in the Clover boot menu Options/'Binaries patching' screen before selecting your drive. Happily this got me to a fully-accelerated desktop as the NVidia web-drivers were already installed. The notable things not working were sound, network, wake-from-sleep and CPU PM.

For sound I used MultiBeast to install the ALC1220 audio my motherboard uses. However once installed, although I could see the devices in the sound preferences pane, I couldn’t hear anything. What I needed to do was install @RehabMan ’s FakePCIID kexts. I put FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext in the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory and rebooted. All was working fine.

Then disaster struck. I'd begun to run through the ssdtPRGen.sh process to create an SSDT for my new CPU when the machine crashed. On reboot I was greeted with a disk error code and it would go no further …

To find out what was going on I used my UniBeast stick to boot into the installer and then used Disk Utility and Terminal to find out what was wrong (You can sometimes use the Recovery Partition too, but because of the disk problem, that wasn't to work on this occasion).

The result was two sets of “Missing Thread Record at ########” and a notice that my disk was damaged and could not be repaired - but I could still copy data from it.

Apparently no amount of DiskUtil or fsck -fy Terminal work can cure this. There are forensic utilities that can repair it but they are rather expensive at around $100 (Disk Warrior and Tech Tools Pro) so the choice is yours - or mine - depending on the value of your possibly lost data.

Fortunately I had bought another SSD a year or so back, when it was on offer on Amazon. It had never been used and was sitting in my parts box as my backup should I need it. Well I did now. It is a 250GB Crucial MX200 SATA model.

My UniBeast stick was still at 10.12.0 and as it was my only option, installed macOS on the new SSD with that. To update to the latest further work was needed though.

For 10.12.5 you need a later version of Clover than the one used by my old UniBeast stick, so once at the new desktop I used MultiBeast 9.1 to install its later, compatible version to the SSD and create my EFI partition. This it did perfectly as usual. I then proceeded to install the macOS 10.12.5 update.

This seemed to go ok too except I now couldn’t boot yet again! This time it was not a disk problem. I turned to my friends here at Tonymacx86 to ask for help and got it very shortly after I posted the thread. @JCMunsonII @trs96 and @P1LGRIM - thank you guys!

The answer was to turn off the Inject Intel switch in the Clover boot Options and add a couple of kexts. I confess it went against the grain to try this initially because I was booting to the iGPU to start with to try and minimise complications. I am used to Nvidia graphics and had never come across this problem before. So, as well as unticking the switch I needed to install the Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext. (Thanks @tonymacx86 ). Guidance says to put them in /Library/Extensions but I was daring and tried the EFI partition /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other instead.

Happily it worked and I was back at the desktop soon afterwards.

Kaby Lake motherboard specifics:

I installed audio once again using MultiBeast and then added the same two kexts I mentioned earlier.

For the Killer E2500 ethernet I used the MultiBeast Atheros E2200 option and this seems to be working fine.

Not much else so far needed but I did tick FixShutDown0004 in the ACPI section of Clover Configurator.
Other settings seem the same as for Skylake. I took the precaution of copying down my old serial numbers and board-IDs etc so I could re-enter them again in the new build.

The GPU I installed in the beginning was a new Gigabyte GTX 1050. Annoyingly I’d sold the original I had, planning to get an RX560 instead*. Two things changed my mind on this - 1) the RX still needed a helper-card to boot and might continue to do so even after the next update, and 2) it needed an extra power supply lead whereas the Nvidia doesn’t. Reviews seemed to show there was little performance difference between the two cards so I bought another 1050, deciding to put up with the Nvidia web-driver bugs.

* see my Update number 4. Helper card no longer needed so the switch was made.

Work to do:

Create a USB port definition file so that the BT board connection doesn't cause an instant wake from sleep.
Test wake-from-sleep and probably use CodecCommander to sort the audio.

(Edit: Tried wake-from-sleep after forced sleep and the sound came right back. A few moments later there was a crackle and it fell silent. I was just reaching for my archive to install CodecCommander when I realised sound had reappeared again. All within a couple of minutes. Will keep an eye on it and not install any more kexts unless needed).

Tidy-up the internal cabling. Since the photo above was taken I've changed the way the drives face. They are both now cabled from the open side. New shorter SATA cables have been ordered to neaten-up the clutter. A new Be Quiet 140mm fan has been fitted.

I'd like to add a quality fan-controller to a bay panel. Also I'd really like a VFD bay display, just for the fun of it, but suitable software for macOS doesn't seem to be available. I have an LCDC license but that's Windows only.

What wasn't working and how it was fixed:

1) iTunes DRM video - Lilu.kext and Shiki.kext placed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other EFI partition folder.

2) iBooks transparency - Brilliant work by @mlg - NVIDIA Web Driver iBooks Bug I put the new beta kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other again. I am aware this workaround does remove one layer of security by disabling library validation and allowing the Nvidia web drivers to work properly.

3) iMessage - More great work, this time by @P1LGRIM - An iDiot's Guide To iMessage. It's all common-sense really.

4) Wake from sleep - see Edit above.

Nothing else I can think of. Will report back if I discover anything.

Sadly the disk damage highlights several problems:

I’ve lost one of my iTunes activations and will have to clear that from my account once I get to the anniversary date etc.

My Parallels activation has now maxed-out. I can request a reset from their support folk but am using VirtualBox at the moment as it is lighter on resources, if not quite so accomplished. I’ll get around to it eventually.

A couple of other software activations were lost in the disaster too.

I do back-up regularly but didn’t have a full, up-to-date system image on this occasion. However, I've one question: on restoring a disk back-up to a new disk do the activations on it still hold?

No matter how many Hackintoshes you build there's always something new to learn, but happily always someone on hand around here to help you out :) I'm grateful for all the help I got.

So Kaby Lake - through no fault of it’s own - has been a bumpy ride for sure.

Onwards and upwards ...

Last edited:
Update no. 1 : macOS release 10.12.6

I downloaded the combo update from Apple, even though the App Store notified me of a new version, because only iTunes 12.6.2 had downloaded itself. I could then keep it in my archives.

Once updated I let the system reboot with the old Skylake CPU Fake ID in place BUT I did add the "nv_disable=1" command-line option to ignore the old Nvidia drivers.

At the flickery desktop Nvidia's preference pane notified me of an update (the correct one) which I let it install. Before Restarting though I manually edited-out the FakeCPUID keys from "KernelAndKextPatches" section in the config.plist - just removing the item from Clover Configurator doesn't seem to delete them completely.

Another restart didn't boot fully and I had to power down, leave it a couple of minutes and then restart. I still had USB so I think this was a GPU issue.

Back at the desktop all was working as before - sound, network, wake-from-sleep and trim.

10126-update.png

I still need to do that USB configuration to set up the onboard port for the Bluetooth so that the machine doesn't bounce awake once set to sleep. Stay tuned ...

:)

Update no. 2 : USB configuration and Fixing Shutdown

Worthy of a new post is the latest work done.

Firstly, proper USB port configuration as per @ammulder 's excellent guide here at paragrpah 7.2

The guide was written before the 200-series chipset was released and for your new *.aml patch to work you need to change the package hex from "8086_a12f" to "8086_a2af". It's easily spotted at the beginning of the template code. (Thanks to @KayliZenner here.)

Once rebooted and your ports checked with IORegistryExplorer you can remove the port increase section in your config.plist. For my build I configured 14, rather than 15 because ...

I confess to still having a problem with the red USB 3.1 "A" and "c" back-panel ports as they feature in the PEG0@1 section as RP## ports opposed to XHC@ as HS/SS ports, so I'm not yet sure how to configure those properly. I've left them out of my configuration for the time being BUT they do work. As for the speed they are operating at I have no USB 3.1 gear to test with. The reason I configured down to 14 above was to accommodate one of these ports, the "A" type.

Next Fixing Shutdown.

This seemed to work fine to start with but soon started failing to shut down when I chose the option, and eventually - it took some time - rebooted instead.

I had set "FixShutdown004" in my Clover Configurator options, but as others are finding with the latest motherboards, this wasn't working.

To cure the problem I did two things:

Install the latest version of Clover - mine is now at v2.4k_r4128, up from version v2.4k_r4063 in MultiBeast 9.1

AND while I was doing this swapped the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi for OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead.

The system now shuts-down fully and correctly, and what's more takes less time to do so.

Onwards and upwards ... Again :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I was having a similar shutdown issue with my Z270X UD5 build... worked fine initally then started rebooting after a day or two. Checking the fixshutdown setting in clover config didn't do squat. I was able to get mine to start successfully completing shutdown by disabling "Wake on LAN" in BIOS.

Interesting. I was having a similar shutdown issue with my Z270X UD5 build... worked fine initally then started rebooting after a day or two. Checking the fixshutdown setting in clover config didn't do squat. I was able to get mine to start successfully completing shutdown by disabling "Wake on LAN" in BIOS.

Hi @eurekaiv . Yes, you make a very good point.

The motherboard I have doesn't have a "Wake on LAN" BIOS setting, although there are others in the "Power" section (disabled etc). However, of course, there is one in the macOS "Energy Saver" System Preferences.

Well, despite my post above 5-days ago. I had another fail to shut down last night ... So perhaps my solution wasn't 100%. I've now reverted the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi driver as it had always worked before.

My guess is that this problem could be either network-related or USB.

I had a successful shutdown again this morning so am currently monitoring to see if I can spot the source of the problem. Any other ideas gratefully received!

Update no. 3 : Shutdown and Reboot problem needed a custom CPU definition

As you can see from the previous updates and comment, the shutdown process for my build wasn't working as it should, probably to a ratio of 60/40 but then, more recently, broke completely. Now I had to switch the wall socket to power down completely.

There are few people who mention configuring in detail a Kaby Lake system. Certainly getting a Kaby Lake-based system to boot macOS has recently become fully 'native' to the OS with the latest update, but before this we could still get there by spoofing a Skylake CPU and fooling the system.

I mentioned in the first post of this build that creating a bespoke SSDT for the CPU was a job to be done and the first time I tried it coincided with an SSD corruption. It got put on the back burner.

I'd tried so many things in an attempt to resolve the shutdown and restart loop, that I needed to rethink my approach. Adding extra stuff wasn't working. Editing the config.plist just complicating things. I needed to go back to basics and fine-tune what I had. First stop was the Kaby Lake CPU.

Getting a CPU to work as intended, if it wasn't a part of the original Apple inventory, needs a custom SSDT to translate the power-management parameters of the CPU for the operating-system to use. To create one you need to download a script created by famed hackintosh developer PikerAlpha, here.

It's a script that runs in Terminal and requires an administrator's password.

By default the 'ssdtPRGen.sh' file is downloaded to your home folder. When you run the script with:

Code:
sudo ~/ssdtPRGen.sh

... you have to enter your Administrator password and then let it do it's thing. More than likely it will tell you there is an error in your Board ID and that it is not a Kaby Lake one. This is true if like me you use an iMac14,2 system definition. It then asks if you would like to continue and you can, if you wish, go one way of the other.

At this point I chose to change my Board ID to see if that satisfied the script, thinking if I didn't then maybe the resulting SSDT might not function correctly. I used the latest version of Clover Configurator. For this release, in the SMBIOS section, you'll notice the famous 'magic wand' has now been replaced with a drop-down definition list. At the end of the iMac section are three new Kaby Lake definitions - one for the 17-7700, an i5-7500 and the i5-7360U - 18,3; 18,2; 18,1.

I loaded a dummy config.plist and selected the 18,3 so that the Board ID field was populated. I copied this to TextEdit and then did the same again for the other two definitions (Bearing in mind I use a Kaby Lake i3 I thought it expedient to try all three if necessary).

Back in my working config.plist I changed only the Board ID to match the new Kaby Lake one, saved it and rebooted, then ran the Terminal script again.

Sadly the script still reported the Board ID wasn't Kaby Lake for all three generated codes.

That confused me, but there is a way around this and that is to explicitly specify a Kaby Lake CPU override on the script's command-line, so use:

Code:
sudo ~/ssdtPRGen.sh -target 5

... instead. 'target 5' is the override for Kaby Lake.

The Board ID error was still there, so I decided to revert to my original Board ID and run it again (remember to change as little as possible at any one time when trouble-shooting a problem). I then ignored the error and finally completed the process to generate my custom SSDT.aml.

This I placed in the EFI partition, EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and rebooted.

After all that you'll be relieved to know that the system now shuts-down quickly, correctly and fully. No more reboots.

I hope this process helps other Kaby Lake builders. It's odd that no-one else I've come across mentions it, but maybe that's because of my choice of an i3 4.1ghz chip?

Last edited:
I forgot the do a backup how can I revert to my original board ID to run the SSDT? Also I get the warning for cpu-type that improperly set.

Warning: Model identifier (iMac18,3) not found in..: /S*/L*/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0605 instead of 0x0905)

- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type

Error: board-id [Mac-BE088AF8C5EB4FA2] not supported by Kaby Lake – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option

I forgot the do a backup how can I revert to my original board ID to run the SSDT? Also I get the warning for cpu-type that improperly set.

Hi there.

Well the Board ID supplied by Clover Configurator is not unique so you can just create a dummy config.plist (if you'd prefer - I would) and then select your chosen System Definition from the pull down menu, that way you'll get the old Board ID back. Your machine's Serial number is unique though and one way to get it back, if you've lost it, is to log into your Apple account and check the machines logged-in to your account. It should be there, assuming you used iCloud before etc., with it's Serial number shown.

As for the CPU-type. Are you using 10.12.6? If so it supports Kaby Lake natively and Fake IDs shouldn't be needed. Remove any you have set. With your error stating it can't find iMac18,3) I'm wondering if you are on an earlier macOS.

Let us know etc.

Hi there.

Well the Board ID supplied by Clover Configurator is not unique so you can just create a dummy config.plist (if you'd prefer - I would) and then select your chosen System Definition from the pull down menu, that way you'll get the old Board ID back. Your machine's Serial number is unique though and one way to get it back, if you've lost it, is to log into your Apple account and check the machines logged-in to your account. It should be there, assuming you used iCloud before etc., with it's Serial number shown.

As for the CPU-type. Are you using 10.12.6? If so it supports Kaby Lake natively and Fake IDs shouldn't be needed. Remove any you have set. With your error stating it can't find iMac18,3) I'm wondering if you are on an earlier macOS.

Let us know etc.

Okey, how about the system definition for the Serial number if I using dummy config.plist? Impossible to use the current Serial number for iMac14,2, am I correct? I'm using iMac18,3.

Okey, how about the system definition for the Serial number if I using dummy config.plist? Impossible to use the current Serial number for iMac14,2, am I correct? I'm using iMac18,3.

Remember the Serial number will change for every system definition, but if you have one for your hackintosh you might want to keep it the same for iMessage and iCloud activation.

The Board IDs are the same for each type of definition.

The dummy config.plist was just so you can copy the Board ID for your definition back into your original config.plist as you said you had lost it etc.

You CAN use the same Serial number on different system definitions. I've kept my own serial number the same for my hackintosh for years now, despite trying different definitions. I run my kaby lake machine as 14,2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back