Contribute
Register

Is this the real end of hackintosh? M1 Macs

The real end of Hackintosh??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. What it did is keep some Apple loyal Pros from jumping ship and moving to a high end Windows workstation. I think they're hoping that those people will see the M2 2022 Mac Pro performance and then switch to that sometime next year. They're losing a lot in the depreciation of their 2019 MP but when you're a business there are ways to write things off. When you look at the 2019 MP design, they will be using what they learned from that. The new one will be much smaller but still look a lot like it's predecessor.

Reminds me of that old joke:

Did you hear about the Silcon-Chip manufacturer? They were so successful they had to move into smaller premises.

:D

Last edited:
I'd like to see the next, larger (M1X) ? iMac look something like this. No reason they can't fit the logic board in the base. If they do this, I'm buying one for sure.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

I'd like to see the next, larger (M1X) ? iMac look something like this. No reason they can't fit the logic board in the base. If they do this, I'm buying one for sure.

View attachment 519086

I agree. That's is a lovely-looking concept. :thumbup:

Although the silicon engineering is clearly top-notch over at Apple, their sense of "design" has certainly slipped. That old iMac design is enduring. The new flat-slab iMac is a bit ... staid. Perhaps that's why they added colour?

Re-evaluating the title of this thread:

"Is this the real end of hackintosh? M1 Macs"

I don't think it is M1 that will stop Hackintoshing. i think it is macOS that will draw any line. Even then, we should get security updates - as we are still doing for Mojave - for some time after.

Then I intend to keep on using Intel macOS and will replace Safari with Firefox or similar once updates stop.

It will be interesting to see what the landscape looks like at that point.

Last edited:
@pastrychef can now break out the champagne. M1X Macs will have an option for up to 64GB of Unified memory.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Also the option of up to 32 cores for the graphics.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

From a leak from Mark Gurman.

I'm using two M1s. Mac mini 8gb. MacBook Air 16gb.

The Cinebench scores are better than any I've experienced before. And some things work that didn't work with previous Macs and Hacks.. I'm talking features such as Voice Control that used to be buggy for me.

But other than that. I find my stripped down Hack (i5-8400 using iGPU and included fan, 16gb RAM, Catalina, Clover-- I sold the GPU to get the Mac mini refurb) just as snappy. Possibly because I'm only using with a 1080p monitor, as the 4k is on the Mac mini.

Maybe I'm holding it wrong. I do like having the Overcast app, Voice Control sans bugs, Big Sur. I do have trouble with Bluetooth.

For me though, hoping M1X / M2 will smooth out the wrinkles.

So, M1 Macs don't spell end of Hackintosh for me.

I feel like M1 is a game changer for laptops more than hack desktops.

Mainly because with a desktop -- if you don't mind a large case - you've got such a thermal and expandability advantage.

I think the Apple Silicon that comes after M1 will make the case for even Hack desktops less convincing.

However, because of the lack of expandability, I imagine I'll swap my machines more often, selling before anything goes wrong with the machine, because if one thing does, you are FUBAR.

I started to port Clover to ARM, it is a huge amount of work, mostly that the devices on which i tested does not have proper efi.
However, to me, moving on arm is just another fun path for hackintosh, harder, but funnier :)

I started to port Clover to ARM, it is a huge amount of work, mostly that the devices on which i tested does not have proper efi.
However, to me, moving on arm is just another fun path for hackintosh, harder, but funnier :)
That’s where the big challenge will be. As Intel and AMD move into ARM type processors (I think the markets will dictate it) we will need great pioneers like you. I’d love to see the next raspberry Pi model be able to handle MacOS. That would enable millions to own an affordable hack.

That’s where the big challenge will be. As Intel and AMD move into ARM type processors (I think the markets will dictate it) we will need great pioneers like you. I’d love to see the next raspberry Pi model be able to handle MacOS. That would enable millions to own an affordable hack.

As an educational experiment, it's fine, but I think it's a complete waste of time if you are trying to get a realistically useable macOS system like current X86 hackintoshes.

Even if (and that's a pretty big "if") you manage to boot macOS on a generic Arm CPU, there won't be any Neural Engine and there won't be any drivers for whatever GPU comes with the aforementioned generic Arm CPU.

It might be possible to run macOS without any GPU acceleration but would anyone want to?

Porting Linux GPU drivers may theoretically be possible, but it's a pretty monumental effort. Even on the current Intel macOS, no one has even ever attempted to port RDNA2 or Ampere drivers.

Custom drivers would probably also be needed for things like Wi-Fi, USB, etc. Have a look at the progress made with the OpenIntelWireless project and you can see how challenging it is. Even after all this time, it still isn't fully working with features such as AirDrop still not working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back