Contribute
Register

Is this the real end of hackintosh? M1 Macs

The real end of Hackintosh??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Factor in the current prices for video cards and it really doesn't make any sense to go hackintosh anymore.
True, at current prices a basic system with a RX 560 would run close to or over an M1 right now. Plus the footprint is huge in comparison. Energy savings alone puts it at a no brainer advantage. Many reasons to get one but I’m holding out for the next gen to pop and see what they have to offer and how much they will cost. Maybe the price of the first gen will drop as well? For the price of a decent graphics card you can get the M1 Mini now. I’m also surprised at the availability, you can even get returned M1s at discount prices.

Apple can gain some serious market growth if they can keep improving this tech and enable PCIe functions for add on cards for professional uses. I don’t see why they couldn’t start taking over office PC leases by corporations as long as they offer a few more options and capabilities.

True, at current prices a basic system with a RX 560 would run close to or over an M1 right now. Plus the footprint is huge in comparison. Energy savings alone puts it at a no brainer advantage. Many reasons to get one but I’m holding out for the next gen to pop and see what they have to offer and how much they will cost. Maybe the price of the first gen will drop as well? For the price of a decent graphics card you can get the M1 Mini now. I’m also surprised at the availability, you can even get returned M1s at discount prices.

Apple can gain some serious market growth if they can keep improving this tech and enable PCIe functions for add on cards for professional uses. I don’t see why they couldn’t start taking over office PC leases by corporations as long as they offer a few more options and capabilities.

Latest rumor I've read estimates we will see Macs with the successor to the M1 around July.

Honestly, I believe somehow hacks (such as: Kexts) can/will be made to make M1 software work. Besides, Apple probably won't stop supporting Intel, I mean, not for a while anyway. If they immediately stopped supporting Intel, there would be lots of angry people. My parents just got a $1000 MacBook Pro last year. I sure wouldn't like it if they stopped supporting.

PowerMac11,2 (aka Power Mac G5 Late 2005)
Last officially supported version of Mac OS X: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (released 2007)

2 years.

As far as I know, I don't think anyone has managed to run Intel x86 Mac apps on a G5.

PowerMac11,2 (aka Power Mac G5 Late 2005)
Last officially supported version of Mac OS X: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (released 2007)
Typo? I think you meant the last version of Mac OS X that would run the PPC G5 was Leopard, which is true. And the last version of Mac OS X that could run Classic (i.e. Mac OS 9.2.2) on the G5 was Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger). (That's what I run on my early 2005 liquid-cooled 2.7 GHz dual-cpu PPC G5.)

Typo? I think you meant the last version of Mac OS X that would run the PPC G5 was Leopard, which is true. And the last version of Mac OS X that could run Classic (i.e. Mac OS 9.2.2) on the G5 was Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger). (That's what I run on my early 2005 liquid-cooled 2.7 GHz dual-cpu PPC G5.)

I didn't even put Rosetta in to consideration.

DaneE43 was anticipating continued macOS support and I showed Apple's precedent of ending support rather quickly.

He also predicted M1 specific software running on Intel based systems.

No mention of Rosetta...

I am on my Third Hack setup. First was 2500k i5, now a 4 series i5 recently reworked to get to 10.3. I'd like to get further but would need a new GPU ... and then it's really time to move up to 10 series, etc.
As frustrating as the new M1 mini is, having no upgrade path I don't plan on a new investment into the intel hardware. When I built these systems, I had a machine that was on par with something that would cost $2500.

I need to run adobe, so I'll either have to buy into the M1 system or surrender to dark side of windows... that I haven't used since Win95.
I will most likely wait for M2 or M1X and for a mini at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back