Register

Is this the real end of hackintosh? M1 Macs

The real end of Hackintosh??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
40 core MP

https://www.gearnews.com/apple-leak-new-macbook-pro-14-and-16-and-a-mac-pro-with-40-cores/Apple leak: New MacBook Pro 14" and 16", and a Mac Pro with 40 cores - gearnews.com
download.jpg

This looks interesting, an even better Mac mini on the way. With more USB4/TH3 ports and more cores.
Bloomberg also believes that a more powerful Mac Mini is in the offing, codenamed J374, with the same chip as the next MacBook Pro. Apple’s M1 Mac Mini has been popular with musicians and producers, and a new souped up version could feature have an even broader appeal with creatives, if the price is right.
And from gearnews.com

Purported benchmark results of the processor are already out. The performance boost is most apparent in the Cinebench R23 multi-core benchmark. The Apple M1X achieves a result of 14,450 points which is nearly double that of the Apple M1 (7760 points). Understandably, the gains carry onto the graphics unit as well. The iGPU – FP32 performance test spits out 5200 points for the Apple M1X and 2600 points for the Apple M1. That’s in line with the two-fold increase in cores and execution units.

Compared to Intel silicon, the Apple M1X (14,450 points) ranks just 548 points short of the Intel Core i9-7900X (14,998 points) in the Cinebench R23 multi-core test. It also smokes the Core i9-9880H chip (8311 points) humming (quite hotly, may I add) in the current 16-inch MacBook Pro.

The Apple M1X is supposed to be going into the 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro, where it will surely benefit from the increase in battery capacity allowed by the larger chassis. The rumored 2021 14-inch MacBook Pro is also a possible candidate, if it can contain such a beast chip at all.

If these scores are real, think of how much better the first Apple Silicon MP will be. Intel has no chance at the higher end. A 32 core ASi Mac Pro, with a really good cooling system, will be the desktop workstation performance king as early as 2022. I might have to change my vote in the poll. The one thing hacks will probably always beat Apple hardware at is price at the entry level and higher end. Performance though isn't going to be anywhere close.

Geekbench 5 64 bit Multicore scores

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:

It is interesting how directly the QoS levels plug directly into the allocation of tasks to the efficiency cores.

A more complicated topic that I think the author neglected - I strongly suspect that the QoS and use of the efficiency cores is potentially a very big factor in how much better the battery life is on the M1 Macs. By no means the only factor, but possibly quite a significant one.

Could anyone see Apple making a replacement for the intel motherboard in the latest 2019 MacPro in order to give the pros an upgrade path to M series ARM ?

Could anyone see Apple making a replacement for the intel motherboard in the latest 2019 MacPro in order to give the pros an upgrade path to M series ARM ?

Well given there's MPX to extend the PCIe slots, and Afterburner, it wouldn't surprise me if an add-on Apple Silicon CPU module - or 2 - of some sort could be added without the need to change the full motherboard.

:idea:

Well given there's MPX to extend the PCIe slots, and Afterburner, it wouldn't surprise me if an add-on Apple Silicon CPU module - or 2 - of some sort could be added without the need to change the full motherboard.
It would be nice to do this for '19 MP owners but I just can't see Apple doing this. They have always moved forward leaving older Macs behind when switching CPU architectures.

It would be nice to do this for '19 MP owners but I just can't see Apple doing this. They have always moved forward leaving older Macs behind when switching CPU architectures.

I did say "could", and not "would". :D

There's no denying the new Mac Pro is a beautifully engineered computer. It would be a shame to abandon it so quickly. Most of their customers seem to have been well-to-do YouTubers as far as I can see, so they don't really count. Perhaps Apple consider it a failure?

Perhaps Apple consider it a failure?
I don't think so. What it did is keep some Apple loyal Pros from jumping ship and moving to a high end Windows workstation. I think they're hoping that those people will see the M2 2022 Mac Pro performance and then switch to that sometime next year. They're losing a lot in the depreciation of their 2019 MP but when you're a business there are ways to write things off. When you look at the 2019 MP design, they will be using what they learned from that. The new one will be much smaller but still look a lot like it's predecessor.

1621451416695.png

I sure hope they reduce the size of the logo on the new mini Mac Pro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back