Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome Congrats!!
that's too close to my current built :
Core i7-4930K - Asus X79 deluxe - Adata DDR3 1600 (8X2) - GTX 780
so do you think that this build will success? btw I'm new to this.
Thanks
The deluxe will probably need extra work in the dsdt department to get wifi/BT working but I'm curious and willing to try and help.

There is no onboard wifi on the R4E. The onboard Bluetooth is buggy and not worth messing with in win or OS X. Even the moderators at the asus rog forum recommend disabling or physically removing it (it's clipped on to the side of the back panel usb2 ports). Nothing a $15-20 OS X compatible USB BT module couldn't fix.

Interesting, I spotted this on the website for it :

• 1 x ASUS Wi-Fi GO! module (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth v4.0/3.0+HS)
And there is definitely a wifi driver in the download section.

You must be thinking of the rampage iv extreme black edition or the x79-deluxe. This build is the rampage iv extreme (not black edition)

amazing description. You mention that you installed dual GPU's. Are they working in Tandem or individually? I have an X79 sandy bridge setup and would kill to install another GPU for editing.

Even though the mac pro's run dual GPU I have never read of a build that uses dual GPU's for more than additional monitors. That being the case is it is a benefit to run monitors on a secondary GPU and leave the main one (GTX670 in my case) to run software?

amazing description. You mention that you installed dual GPU's. Are they working in Tandem or individually? I have an X79 sandy bridge setup and would kill to install another GPU for editing.

Even though the mac pro's run dual GPU I have never read of a build that uses dual GPU's for more than additional monitors. That being the case is it is a benefit to run monitors on a secondary GPU and leave the main one (GTX670 in my case) to run software?
To be clear, my 3930K build has dual GPUs not Eric's 4930K.

It depends on the application. Some apps are written to leverage multiple GPUs and some are not. Davinci Resolve and Premiere use both of them but there is no SLI in OS X if that's what you mean. Actually I should do some test to see if Premiere's performance scales as much as Resolve's from adding additional GPUs. I added a second GPU specifically for Resolve and Resolve's performance benefits are huge.

To be clear, my 3930K build has dual GPUs not Eric's 4930K.

It depends on the application. Some apps are written to leverage multiple GPUs and some are not. Davinci Resolve and Premiere use both of them but there is no SLI in OS X if that's what you mean. Actually I should do some test to see if Premiere's performance scales as much as Resolve's from adding additional GPUs. I added a second GPU specifically for Resolve and Resolve's performance benefits are huge.

What about Final Cut Pro x 10.1.x?
Does it benefits from a dual GPU setup like Resolve, or it's just a one-way option with one graphics card?

Does it benefits from a dual GPU setup like Resolve, or it's just a one-way option with one graphics card?

FCP X 10.1 was tweaked to take advantage of dual AMD FirePro cards in Crossfire so I highly doubt
that two Nvidia cards in SLI would work in tandem when running Final Cut. It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone would try dual FirePro cards in one of these builds to determine if OS X would use them in the same way a Mac Pro does. Maybe even dual R9 280's would work, I haven't seen anyone try this yet.

Here's a thread where it looks like they have the RIVBE up and running with BT and WiFi
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition in post #17 he outlines BT.

I just ran a bench test export with 10.1.1 and my second card never even clocked up. This could be because I have different model cards or because the are Nvidia cards but I don't know.
I really don't like FCP X so it doesn't make a difference to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back