Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building the same computer but with a Lga 2011 Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4. Do you think I can do the same process with clover, use the same Kernel Extensions and follow the DSDT guide? I don’t have much experience with clover, mostly I have done this type of process with multibeast... not for this kind of build thougho_O. I will love some advise thank you;)! Thanks and congrats on the build and thanks a lot for sharing the process:clap::thumbup:.

@ afuera,
Allot of steps in this guide will need to me modified to work with that board. I would not attempt using my DSDT guide for a gigabyte board. You'll need VoodooTSCSync.kext, a different audio kext and I'm not sure about the ethernet kext. Also, I'm not sure if the BIOSs for that board are CPUPM unlocked so it may be difficult to get speedstep working. The SSDT part should work. Clover should work fine with the config.plist I provided but You'll need VoodooTSCSync.kext in the USB installer's kexts folder in it's EFI partition to boot the installer.

Hi Shilohh...

AMAZING build and an absolutely brilliant tuitorial on how to install Mavericks. I started my first build this weekend and finished it with the help of this post - you are a genius - thank you.

I would have been lost without your post.

Would you mind if I asked you three quick questions in case you might know the answer. I am very new to this so apologies if these are dumb questions:

-Since the build the USB ports have stopped working... Is there something to fix that?
-The Blu-ray drawer keeps opening when I boot-up and I get a message saying Unknown Blank disc - any thoughts?
-Last question: Is it ok to go back into the bios and adjust the Over-clock speeds or will that stop Mavericks from working and if I do make changes should I update the DSDT.aml file afterwards?

Thank you so much and once again - well done on your awesome build and post. Can't wait to see what you do next - I am a big fan of your work.

My build components

Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME ATX Intel X79
INTEL Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz LGA2011
CORSAIR 32GB (4x8GB)
EVGA GF GTX 660Ti SC+ 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Asus PCE-AC66 1300Mbps Wireless PCI-E Network Interface Card
Cooler Master Silent Pro MII 1000Watt ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.9
Corsair CPU Cooler Hydro Series H100i
CRUCIAL M500 960GB SSD
Hitachi HI 3.5" Deskstar 7K4000, 4TB Deskstar 7K4000
ASUS Blu-ray brander BW-12B1ST

-The Blu-ray drawer keeps opening when I boot-up and I get a message saying Unknown Blank disc - any thoughts?
Which SATA ports are you using? Make sure your OS X boot drive is connected to one of the Intel X79 controlled 6G SATA ports (there are only 2). Never use the ASMedia ports for the boot drive. Also I'd connect the BlueRay drive to one of the Intel 3G SATA ports. See my new note after step 5 in the OP.

-Is it ok to go back into the bios and adjust the Over-clock speeds or will that stop Mavericks from working and if I do make changes should I update the DSDT.aml file afterwards?
Yes. Just changing settings shouldn't effect the DSDT. The only times you need to re-do the DSDT are when you update the BIOS (to a newer or older version) and sometimes after you move or install new PCI-E hardware in the PCI-E slots.

-Since the build the USB ports have stopped working... Is there something to fix that?
Exactly which USB ports stopped working and when?

Also, since you're using a SandyBridge-E 3930K, you'll need to use the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementSandE kext from my
Guide: Asus X79 OS X Controlled SpeedStep

Thanks MK500. If you hadn't started it, I wouldn't be here. Seriously! Thanks!

Just curious how much this rig ran you all in? Though this rig is faster than the 6 core mac pro, Im wondering how close to the price it came out to be.And also if its worth it. I mean its nice to have a project computer but in the end it's also nice to have a rig that "just works"---even though it costs a tonne of cash:think:

Agreed.
It's one of the disappointing things about all my Hacks over the years.

There's always *something* with every build that just nags and reminds you it's a Hack.

Many times for me it's been Bluetooth. Never have figured out why, but the smoothness and response of the Magic Trackpad is always better on a normal Mac (in my experience anyway).

Lately the biggest thing for me has been Thunderbolt. I've come to love that and it's one reason I'm holding off to see what the next round of MoBo's brings.

I'd like to do a Micro ATX Hack Pro, but I really want Thunderbolt and the Z87 Micro ATX boards never got TB sadly.

@ zadik,
For price vs performance, read the comments section of the OP.

The only thing thats been buggy is USB drives improperly ejecting on sleep. My 3930K build only does this for USB3 drive but Eric's 4930K is doing it on USB2 ports as well for some reason and I didn't have enough time with the machine to troubleshoot before I had to deliver it.

Yes a real Mac will usually always have less issues than a Hack. If you don't have the time or desire to hack, buy a Mac. But, where's the fun in that? Apple hasn't offered a professional Desktop computer that I'd be willing to settle for since my Mac Pro 1,1 (comparing it to competing PC hardware AT THE TIME) and I'll never forgive them for lying about it's full 64bit capabilities. Everything after has been noncompetitive and antiquated or kludgy for professionals, compared to PC hardware.

@shilohh

Hope you don't think I was taking a shot or anything.
Your build sounds amazing and I definitely still love the options and power available via hack options.

Definitely agree with you about the "options" that Apple puts out there.

Just bums me out that the Hacks are getting oh so so close to being perfect...but can't quite get there.

For me, the "input devices" not being perfect has always been the biggest hitch since it's a daily interaction item.

Hope you don't think I was taking a shot or anything.
Definitely agree with you about the "options" that Apple puts out there.
No. No offense taken. These are all legitimate concerns. A build like this may only cost 1/2 of what a equivalently powered Mac Pro would but it's still not cheap. Of course you'll want it to work for $3K and all the time and effort you'll spend.
Just bums me out that the Hacks are getting oh so so close to being perfect...but can't quite get there.
For me, the "input devices" not being perfect has always been the biggest hitch since it's a daily interaction item.
Nature of the beast (pun intended) ;). I've never struggled with input device but I prefer USB wired keyboard and mouse (don't like changing batteries on a non portable device). I'd go wireless on a home theatre pc but I see no reason on my pro workstation. It really was built for just one purpose. To get high end video post production work done fast.

No. No offense taken. These are all legitimate concerns. A build like this may only cost 1/2 of what a equivalently powered Mac Pro would but it's still not cheap. Of course you'll want it to work for $3K and all the time and effort you'll spend.
Nature of the beast (pun intended) ;). I've never struggled with input device but I prefer USB wired keyboard and mouse (don't like changing batteries on a non portable device). I'd go wireless on a home theatre pc but I see no reason on my pro workstation. It really was built for just one purpose. To get high end video post production work done fast.

I also wasn't undermining your awesome build as I'm more than impressed with your results.I built a hack that was roughly the same spec though with a rampage formula and a 4770k in the same case, same cooler....yada yada. it was fast, and somewhat stable, however there were many issues with bluetooth and also other issues with software compatibility and i really got tired of having to plug in a mouse/keyboard to enter bios.I was spending so much time and effort trying to get the thing working that finally i decided to sell it and get a real mac. Still i do think you guys are the smart ones. Price vs performance= you win hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back