Contribute
Register
I followed the path and got to the "Talk to Apple Support Now", but didn't encounter anyplace to enter the OSX S/N. If that's something that happens on the call itself, that's fine...

@projectorhead,

Apple changed the on-line process for logging/initialising a support call at the start of the year ..... part of that change was removing the ability to pre-enter your OSX S/N :-

From Chapter 8 of the guide ....

Update Feb 2015: Since initially writing this chapter Apple have changed the look and layout of some of the support pages on their web site, so you may find subtle differences between what you see and what is in the guide, however the following advice is still valid and should be followed as close as possible.

I'll try and get around to updating and rewiring Chapter 8 with new screen grabs .. etc but the process is essentially the same.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, @JayMonkey.

What about this question from my previous post:

"I'm a bit apprehensive as the guide makes quite a point of suggesting you avoid telling them your s/n if possible, but right off the bat it says "use the one from your SMBIOS in most cases this may help to avoid having to give the operator your OS X S/N." If they have the one from your SMBIOS they have your OS X s/n, do they not? "

Am I misunderstanding something in the guide?

is it normal that the ethernet mac address keeps changing every reboot. off course it is not connected as I only use the wifi. the wifi mac dress doesn't reset though. I doubt i could use it as my Rom value if it changes every reboot

@davelaw56,

No that is not normal at all ..... a MAC address is supposed to be a unique hardware address for your NIC, I really don't understand how it can be changing ... although some NIC do allow the user to override the factory set MAC address either in the BIOS or via a 3rd Party Configuration App or Option ROM.

But it should not be doing it on its own .... ?

Check to see if there are any firmware/config updates for your hardware ...

If you want to use iMessage i would suggest that you use the 'Alt ROM Method'

Thats a real strange one .... good luck sorting it .... let us know what you find

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, @JayMonkey.

What about this question from my previous post:

"I'm a bit apprehensive as the guide makes quite a point of suggesting you avoid telling them your s/n if possible, but right off the bat it says "use the one from your SMBIOS in most cases this may help to avoid having to give the operator your OS X S/N." If they have the one from your SMBIOS they have your OS X s/n, do they not? "

@projectorhead,

As stated in my last post it is no longer possible to pre-enter your OSX Number when setting up a support Call (I suspect that Apple got wise that Hackingtosh users were using that method to negate the fact that the S/N was not registered)

If possible if you you have a real MAC then use the S/N from that when loggin the support call if not maybe you have a friend or college with any type of MAC .... is so ask them is you can use their OSX S/N (be sure you know what type of MAC it is though).

When Apple Support ask you for a S/N give them the one form from a real MAC .. if its not yours and they ask you can say your borrowing it or around your friends .... press the issue that there is nothing wrong with the Mac, and that its a iMessage / FT issue. once you get pass the OSX S/N and they ask for the Customer Code give the customer code from your Hack.

Just be cool and relaxed, don't panic or get flustered and you'l be fine
Cheers
Jay

Well, made the call and used my mom's S/N from her iMac. It didn't work, so he had me restart, then it looked like everything was fine. I opened Facetime and instead of the AppleID message I was able to get to the point where I could see my previous calls, etc. Thought everything was fine so we hung up. But then as soon as I was off the call the AppleID message popped up again with the same customer code.

:banghead:

Just got an email from customer support with a case number to reopen the case, but when I click on it I'm taken to a page where I'm told "We're sorry, but the case ID and email address do not match our records. Verify your information and try again, or use another email address if you have one. If you used your Apple ID when creating the case, you can also sign in to your support profile to see case details."

As you might be able to guess, I went to my support profile but can't see the case details there either.

Another 90 minutes on the phone, went through three levels of support and nobody has been able to figure out why I'm still getting the customer code message when I try to login to FaceTime and iMessage. I had to leave the last call as I had dinner to make for my kids! I hope when I try back with the direct line I was given we can actually pick up where we left off.

Is it at all normal for it to be this complicated on their end? Nobody seems to know why the continual attempts on their end are not working. Has anyone here experienced this?

EDITED:

Nevermind...finally made it into the 200s of this thread and see similar. The reading goes on....

Hi - Please run iMessageDebugger and post the results so we can take a look at your values to spot any anomalies if any - Thanks.

Ok here you go! Thanks for your help.
Code:
**********************iMessage Debug**********************Credits: ElNono, mdmwii,flux84, sugarface, pokenguyen

Model: MacPro3,1
           Board-id: Mac-F42C88C8
       SerialNumber: CK8321SHXYL
      Hardware UUID: 59DEA1A6-97C5-5549-8EBD-EB2817D26576

System-ID: FC02AA03-1404-8A05-1306-A20700080009
                ROM: a20700080009
  BoardSerialNumber: C02140302D5DMT31M

Gq3489ugfi: 8e1605074e8797f8b99e85d801baf8f059
          Fyp98tpgj: df92b95eff0b20fb9bcdb74af8d4f7cf8c
         kbjfrfpoJU: 6abf8d8ec8790311a238fe936c3ce9d876
       oycqAZloTNDm: 176a466400a0704dff740f70556747e95e
       abKPld1EcMni: 5adb8f2e07e614f1f270749d444db84545

Ok here you go! Thanks for your help.
Code:
**********************iMessage Debug**********************Credits: ElNono, mdmwii,flux84, sugarface, pokenguyen

Model: MacPro3,1
           Board-id: Mac-F42C88C8
       SerialNumber: CK8321SHXYL
      Hardware UUID: 59DEA1A6-97C5-5549-8EBD-EB2817D26576

System-ID: FC02AA03-1404-8A05-1306-A20700080009
                ROM: a20700080009
  BoardSerialNumber: C02140302D5DMT31M

Gq3489ugfi: 8e1605074e8797f8b99e85d801baf8f059
          Fyp98tpgj: df92b95eff0b20fb9bcdb74af8d4f7cf8c
         kbjfrfpoJU: 6abf8d8ec8790311a238fe936c3ce9d876
       oycqAZloTNDm: 176a466400a0704dff740f70556747e95e
       abKPld1EcMni: 5adb8f2e07e614f1f270749d444db84545

This is wrong - this value 'BoardSerialNumber:C02140302D5DMT31M' is Generic (a default value) also your ROM: a20700080009 is way off and iMessage/F-Time will never work with these values. I suspect you have not taken the time to read any of the GUIDE otherwise you would not be having the kind of trouble you're having. Despite that fact, I will try to help you to help your self so that you will be able to solve any future snags. Please have a read of CHAPTER 4.1, CHAPTER 4.2, CHAPTER 5, also have a look at Post #4038 for an insight of what you need to do - If you have any difficulties, please post back.

Oh! Thanks for pointing that out, I was actually using the wrong config.plist for clover. Thanks again, everything is back to normal.

Back