Contribute
Register
I had used the vales from my old 2008 macbook that i gave to my mother (who never uses imessage) on my Hack and all of the sudden last night sms forwarding and handoff/continuity started working again. Imessage had stopped working around New Years but returned a few days later. I guess sometimes it pays to not mess with anything.

I had used the vales from my old 2008 macbook that i gave to my mother (who never uses imessage) on my Hack and all of the sudden last night sms forwarding and handoff/continuity started working again. Imessage had stopped working around New Years but returned a few days later. I guess sometimes it pays to not mess with anything.

You and her should be good, unless your mom decides to get herself an appleID and use messages. Then you're going to be hosed again. Why don't you just generate new numbers so you're safe.

when you say "valid" MLB, you are using same MLB from your mac again which is now working again after few days? What about ROM?

No I've stopped using cloned IDs. I created a MLB respecting a certain pattern (you can't just put random characters), following this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303073-pattern-of-mlb-main-logic-board/page-13

For ROM you can simply use your ethernet MAC address.

Notice after these steps, I still had to call Apple support to give them the customer code. Actually, what allows you to log into iMessage without having to call Apple is a valid combination of MLB and ROM, which is registered on their servers.
Calling them allows you to whitelist your own combination, that's why it's still necessary when you don't use values from a genuine mac.

So much conflicting information!!

I have an older (2008) MacBookPro4,1 that I picked up and gather that I can clone its information for my Hack?

My current Hack is running Chameleon and OS X 10.10.1 and has had issues with facetime in the past, though I have not used Facetime or iMessage on it since I upgraded.

If using the MBP's information will work in my Hack works, I will put the MBP in the closet so that it does not connect to the internet and conflict.

Questions:

Can I use the cloned values from my MBP with the fixed FileNVRam to get iMessage working?
Do I need to change my Hack model from MacPro3,1 to MacBookPro4,1 to get this to work?
Do I NEED to do a fresh install?
Do I NEED to switch to Clover?
Will changing the model to MacBookPro4,1 break of change what I can do with my Hack?
Is there a succinct guide to updating FileNVRam and getting iMessage working for an existing Hack with a cloned ID?

I have a question. I have a very old Mac Desktop, does the Mac have to have similar hardware for me to extract the values and use them? I don't have it hooked up at the moment cause I haven't used it in a few years, but it turns on. Thanks.

A lot of these questions are already explained in guide or in threads last few pages.

1. You want a serial and MLB that match your system definition. Although not strictly required yet, it's pretty clear on path apple is on it'll be next thing. If you are on an imac with a macbook pro serial and MLB, you'll probably be in next block wave.
2. You do not want a cloned ID for a mac you do not own, or one you do own that's currently still used with icloud or imessage. That's just asking for it.
3. It's probably not a good idea to use cloned info from a mac that couldn't possibly use 10.9+ or imessage. that's just me. Although it may work, it's a red flag in my book which makes it a good candidate for apple to target at a later time.
4. You need to ensure your serials are of proper syntax and actually match what apple expects. So no 3,1 mac pro definition with 17 char MLB. Use serials befitting of the definition used. if a 3,1 mac pro, a serial that you'd find on a 3,1 mac pro.
5. You need to ensure once your values are right that they are persistent before ever connecting to internet. DO NOT MESS WITH VALUES ONLINE. Clover is still better at this because filenvram from my experience, even when it's working, was always terrible at consistent values. It pretty much always generated it's own values at boot up anyways in any testing I did. This may be fixed in most recent version based on change-log I've been reading, but it's still inferior to the foolproofness of clover which lets you flat out hardcode ROM and MLB in RT variables.
6. Make sure your generated serial does not return as owned online. Last thing you want to do is look like idiot when you call apple and give them serial and they say "that's funny, this serial is registered to mr bob who's happily using imessage right now". There is a self warranty link you can use to check if a serial exists.
7. A damn good story when you call apple. Be prepared for questions that may put you on spot. They may say they can't find your serial and to verify it. I'm not going to give an example because I don't want apple to hear SAME story 100x either. With a bunch of us calling them, I don't want them to be alarmed. Be creative and confident. Don't sound nervous or stammer. Have stuff together before calling. This is actually one of reasons I like using older system definitions on purpose (provided you don't care much about power management or other things). less complicated MLB, easier to make up stories.

I personally haven't called back yet because it was probably 2 months ago when i called em last and they fixed me up. My lockout was from the mistake of having 17 char MLB where it should have been 13. I'm still waiting to see where apple ends up once dust settles and they finalize their changes.

MysticalOS, Thanks for the reply!!

My Macbook Pro is 2008 and is running 10.9 and can be upgraded to 10.10.

My plan is to simply use my MBP's, model, serial, MLB, etc.

Will that mess with anything if I change my Hack Pro to using a Macbook Pro model number (the MBP is a i5, my Hack is an i7)?

Do I NEED to do a fresh install at this point or can I simply swap out the values in the SMBios?

Interesting, it starts working again. o_O

Back