Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Thank you for your reply.

Based from the description, unfortunately there is no confirm information, if there would be new BIOS release in regards to the microcode update.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let
us know. We will be more than happy to assist you."

I am wondering if this could help making a bios with an updated intel microcode:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ions-for-updating-the-BIOS-file-CPU-microcode

I will look into it when I have some spare time...

Reactions: kgp
Hi KGP
I finally tried your guide to move from my X99 Mac Pro 6.1 SMBios to IMAPC Pro 1.1
All seems to work very nice. Great work.
One observation is, that in "about my Mac" in Processor info it just shows 3.2 GHz unknown.
Is this cosmetical or and indicator that something needs to be fixed.
XCPM is working fine and AppleIntelInfo.kext is showing all is good.
The other observation is that the systems does not seem to go the the turbo frequency of 4.0GHz even in Geekbench multicore benchmark.
I will do some more testing tonight, now sharing some initial observations.
Thanks, Michael

Hi KGP
I finally tried your guide to move from my X99 Mac Pro 6.1 SMBios to IMAPC Pro 1.1
All seems to work very nice. Great work.
One observation is, that in "about my Mac" in Processor info it just shows 3.2 GHz unknown.
Is this cosmetical or and indicator that something needs to be fixed.
XCPM is working fine and AppleIntelInfo.kext is showing all is good.
The other observation is that the systems does not seem to go the the turbo frequency of 4.0GHz even in Geekbench multicore benchmark.
I will do some more testing tonight, now sharing some initial observations.
Thanks, Michael

3.2 Ghz is cosmetic..

However, OC not working on most X99 mainboards under 10.13.6 and 10.14.0.

CPU microcode BIOS firmware update required!

You did not follow the recent posts?

Hello kgp
Thanks.... now I understand... I did not realize that the OC problem also applies to the TurboMode not beeing used anymore.
Thats kind of a shame.
Another thought.... PMheart was very helpful in providing all those patches... what worries me a bit for future OSX versions the dependancy on those patches.
I was curious.... where can I find more background info on those kernel patches?
Regards, Michael

Hello kgp
Thanks.... now I understand... I did not realize that the OC problem also applies to the TurboMode not beeing used anymore.
Thats kind of a shame.
Another thought.... PMheart was very helpful in providing all those patches... what worries me a bit for future OSX versions the dependancy on those patches.
I was curious.... where can I find more background info on those kernel patches?
Regards, Michael

I guess most of these patches have been originally implemented by Pike R. Alpha, who completely abandoned the Hackintosh community due to severe personal and private reasons.

Therefore, most related information you might still find on Google related to his name.

Hi
Yes I saw about Pikes personal situation. Was really sorry to hear that.
My initial thought was when I observed the performance problems to go back to the ssdt frequency vectors I used in my MacPro6.1 system. Acutally I never did a performance check on my 6.1 systemafter the 10.13.6 update how performance is affected. So my assumption was that using pikers method would maybe bring back performance again.
But if the reason is a required bios update, that will not do the job then.
Regards, Michael

Hi
Yes I saw about Pikes personal situation. Was really sorry to hear that.
My initial thought was when I observed the performance problems to go back to the ssdt frequency vectors I used in my MacPro6.1 system. Acutally I never did a performance check on my 6.1 systemafter the 10.13.6 update how performance is affected. So my assumption was that using pikers method would maybe bring back performance again.
But if the reason is a required bios update, that will not do the job then.
Regards, Michael

Everything is well thought and has a reason. OC was working fine with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 under 10.13.5 and stopped again working under 10.13.6 and 10.14. The same states btw also for SMBIOS MacPro6,1!

Also Pikes ssdt.aml does not help and is btw obsolete when using Clover‘s plugintype injection. Also it is not a missing frequency vector that causes the OC issue. It definitely seems to be mainboard BIOS firmware related, as OC works with identical system configuration at least on some MSI boards.

Don‘t think that you are more clever than me or others :lol:;)

There is absolutely nothing I would not have thought or tried.

Last edited:
Haha.... I was hoping to be the chicken to find a golden egg in in the hay stack.... but I guess not.

Thanks KGP for all you hard work on these guides and your promt replies.
Regards, Michael

Just looked at the procedure to update the microcode with some windows tools for my Asus board.
I will try that over the next couple of days.
Would be great if a microcode update resolves things performancewise.
Regards, Michael

Just looked at the procedure to update the microcode with some windows tools for my Asus board.
I will try that over the next couple of days.
Would be great if a microcode update resolves things performancewise.
Regards, Michael

Yea and it would be even greater, if you could then apply the microcode update also for the Asus x99-A II :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back