Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm just here to say big THANK YOU @kgp
I've been running 10.11.6 at MacPro 5.1 definition, different build than you (ASUS X99-S, i7-5820K, GTX 980 Ti), after seeing your thread I finally decided to upgrade, some of my observations - of which you might even add some to your original post, could be helpful for others:
1) upgrade install went flawlessly using your usb install guide
2) since I use nVidia GTX 980 Ti, after installation was totally complete, after next reboot, I had flickering and no gpu detected, just some generic VGA adapter found, even after clean reboot, even with proper drivers and CUDA drivers installed,
what I had to do was enable these 2 tickmarks in Clover Configurator:
Boot -> "nvda_drv=1"
System Parameters -> "NvidiaWeb"
3) since I use Haswell-E i7-5820K, I was unsure about the XCPM guidelines as you might written the guide slightly confusing a bit, since you use Broadwell-E,
in your guide at C.) section you write "KernelPm" entry (which I used for install and initial setups, that works fine, with cpu locked at max frequency set, so apparently XPCM disabled), despite having KernelXPCM squared in the screenshot (?),
but later you keep mentioning "KernelXPCM" entry - and that is truly the one which needs to be ticked with the additional XCPM patches - which are, as far as I can see, fully compatible with Haswell i7-5820K (believe me, I spent roughly hour searching internet for adjusted specific patches for Haswell, since you have Broadwell, didn't dare to try, but finally I did and it just all works :)
4) BIOS settings vary a little on ASUS X99-S, but easy to setup according to your guide, crucial is "Disabled" Fast Boot, else mouse/keyboard won't work when plugged in USB 3.0 ports (funnily enough, with correct BIOS setting above, even the MacOS installation works fine with these peripherials plugged in USB 3.0 ports, something I see people sometimes have problems with)
5) so far I skipped the bios patching and dsdt patching, just to see if High Sierra is at all worth compared to El Capitan ;))
6) one interesting observation, my "About This Mac" window doesn't show MacOS build number and doesn't show year of iMac Pro, any idea why so? in your original post, you have those shown? (I do have the 17G65 build installed)
[edit] 6) nevermind, build number is only shown when MacOS version is clicked, and the model year does not show even on genuine Macs if they were custom orders, so I guess the very special shardware config may cause that
[edit2] yesterday I once ran into problem during shutdown - black screen, mouse could move, any ideas for fix?
[edit3] I didn't have the shutdown problem next time, but I still later did a change in Clover Configurator, Acpi -> FixShutdown

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
Hi
Find attached the updated bios file for ASUS X99-A II version 1902 with updated latest microcode.
Note that I have not unlocked the bios yet.
If have done the same thing for my board and it worked. Turbo mode seems to work again. Now the question is which performance patches are still necessary/ideal with this bios.
Happy to get feedback
Regards, Michael

Attachments

• X99A2.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 61
Hi
Find attached the updated bios file for ASUS X99-A II version 1902 with updated latest microcode.
Note that I have not unlocked the bios yet.
If have done the same thing for my board and it worked. Turbo mode seems to work again. Now the question is which performance patches are still necessary/ideal with this bios.
Happy to get feedback
Regards, Michael

Finally you achieved being the chicken finding the golden egg in the hay stack!! ;):lol:

Dude!! I guess you made our day!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

OC back open X99 under both 10.13.6 and 10.14!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Screenshot 2018-09-26 at 10.02.42.png

Screenshot 2018-09-26 at 10.03.11.png

Below, attached the patched ASUS X99-A II BIOS firmware 1902 X99A2.CAP.zip with iMacPro Splash Screen, microcode update and MSR unlock for EZ-Flashback.

Now to fine-tune the XCPM kernel patches... ;)

Can you come up with a detailed guideline how to implement the microcode update for the particular example of the ASUS X99-A II 1902 BIOS firmware and how to extend the approach for any X99 mainboard BIOS firmware?

I would implement your description in my guide primer to the firmware patching section or simply implement a link to your post.

Would you do me this favour?

Many thanks in advance and once more.. Awesome dude :headbang::headbang::clap::clap::thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

• X99A2.CAP.zip
    7 MB · Views: 87
Glad it works well.
I can certainly write a short guide. Once you have the right tools in Windows, it's just a matter of 5 minutes to do it and very easy. Should have it sometime next week, maybe earlier. It will enable us to quickly do microcode updates in the future as needed.
Looking forward to your recommendations regarding the ideal kernel patches / bios settings for best performance.
Thanks, Michael

Reactions: GDS
Glad it works well.
I can certainly write a short guide. Once you have the right tools in Windows, it's just a matter of 5 minutes to do it and very easy. Should have it sometime next week, maybe earlier. It will enable us to quickly do microcode updates in the future as needed.
Looking forward to your recommendations regarding the ideal kernel patches / bios settings for best performance.
Thanks, Michael

Can’t you come up with a short but comprehensive guideline straightaway today?

People are waiting for months and I would not like to further delay the solution.

That would be simply awesome dude..

If not, could you provide once more the link where you took the basic instructions from and I will try to come up myself with a small guideline within today or tomorrow.

Reactions: dez

People are waiting for months and I would not like to further delay the solution.

If not, could you provide once more the link where you took the basic instructions from and I will try to come up myself with a small guideline within today or tomorrow.

I second this! Excellent work michaeljeger.

Reactions: kgp

had a similar situation with my laptop, there was no BIOS update for ages and needed to update my microcodes as i was unable to update to High Sierra 10.13.4

As Asus wasn't going to update the BIOS, i took matters into my own hands, came across this site:
https://www.win-raid.com/t3132f47-GUIDE-AMI-INTEL-CPU-Microcode-Update-Guide.html

microcodes:
https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes

I will upload a short guide this evening.
The tool is actually downloading the right microcodes itself.... so it is not so complicated.
Stay tuned

The tool is actually downloading the right microcodes itself.... so it is not so complicated.
Stay tuned

perfect man, thanks :thumbup:

Stay tuned

@kgp If I understand this situation correctly, this would be CPU Family (Haswell, Broadwell) specific or independent of that and only related to the Mobo BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back