Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
iMac SMBIOS on a x99 system with RX580

I´m on 10.13.3 with a Radeon RX 580. The graphic performance is good, just there are problems with video playing. In Firefox and in EyeTV there are problems like lags, stutter or frozen windows. I´ve tried a lot of things with Whatevergreen and Radeondeinit, diffferent framebuffer, SSDT and so on.

In the end I changed the SMBIOS from 6.1 to different iMac versions. No plan, just trying.
This helped: Much better video behaviour than with SMBIOS Mac Pro 6.1. No drawbacks so far, performance, Geekbench, speedsteps etc. okay. Everything works. First time I went away from Mac Pro 6.1.

In the moment I´m on iMac 18.3, but I´ve no ideo what iMAC SMBIOS would be best. Any thoughts somebody?

X99-E | 5920k | 1050 ti owner here and this was definitely a smooth upgrade. All I had to do was:
  1. Update through the App Store. Restart.
  2. update the NvidiaGraphicsFixup and Lilu kexts
  3. Repackage the NVIDIA web driver then install; Restart
and voila, everything works! I didn't even use the new EFI folder. Thanks KGP!

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 5.19.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
have the same problem but then I found that NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext v1.2.1 is missing in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ directory of my system disk... I put it back and it works

It's not working for me.... could be I'm using 980Ti..... I have benjamin.dobell's Nvidia update script to make it work.

update on 14th Feb 2018: After using Benjamin's update script, the osx ran with Nvidia 106, but I still can a prompt from Nvidia Driver manager that 156 is available for update. So I go ahead and update according to Nvidia's instruction and Now I running with 156, with the problem I face before... Please take note I clone a SSD to test on the OS and video driver updates, after confirming everything work then I go ahead with my actual OSX driver.

I'm a noob in IT and computers so I could only use a spare to trial an Error...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 10.49.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 10.49.11 PM.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 10.48.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 10.48.54 PM.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Ok, I've got basically everything working except my graphics card. I have no idea what else there is left to do here. I feel like I've tried everything. Still getting black screen when loading. My specs are in my profile. I'm so lost. I can't be this bad at this lol. Last thing I tried was Benjamin Dobell's nvidiaUpdate script so now I'm back to 378.10.10.10.25.106. I've attached a bunch of screenshots. One thing I've noticed is that NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext doesn't seem to be loading. Not sure if I'm missing anything else. Any help would be appreciated. (I'm going to be so mad when I find out how simple it is)
GeForceKextsNotLoaded.png Graphics-Displays.png kextstat_1of2.png kextstat_2of2.png LastMessageBeforeBlack.jpeg NVDAGP100HAL.jpeg NvidiaGraphicsFixup_notLoading.jpeg NvidiaKextsNotLoaded.png PCIinfo.png

Update: FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK. After investigating the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext not loading, I came across this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/#Problem4

Long story short I ended up putting Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup in S/L/E on boot disk instead of kexts/Other on EFI. I checked kextstat and noticed that NvidiaGraphicsFixup was finally loading. A few more restarts and I realized I still needed to use nvda_drv=1 flag, then BOOM! Graphics working!

Still not consistently booting with Nvidia without verbose mode but better than nothing. Thanks KGP!

Update 2: Very inconsistent booting with graphics. About 1/4 success rate. Also, quite a few hard crashes with the all the screens frozen + sounds stop. You can hear a static pop through the speakers on crash. No idea when the crashes will be coming. Obviously not ideal. This may be related to the power management section that I'll admit I haven't gotten around to just yet. I believe the settings are tuned for Broadwell-E out of the box and I'm running a Haswell-E setup.

Attachments

• NvidiaWebDriver.png
    NvidiaWebDriver.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
1.) you miss the adopted VoodooTSCSync.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
2.) You can use DSM2-ASUS-X99-A-II-USB.kext instead of X99_Injector USB 3.kext
3.) you did not configure XCPM and do not have any ssdt.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
4.) You miss the SSDT-XOSI.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
5.) You should verify and enable all DSDT Replacement patches in Section "ACPI" of Clover Configurator
6.) You have to uncheck everything under "USB" (i.e., "Inject", "Add ClockID", "FixOwnership", "HighCurrent") in Section
"Devices" of Clover Configurator​
7.) You have to uncheck "Reset" under "Audio" in Section "Devices" of Clover Configurator
8.) You should uncheck "KernelPM" in Section "Kernel and Kext Patches" of Clover Configurator

And in general you should better read and follow my guidelines in the originating post go this thread!

Cheers and good luck,

KGP
Hi kgp! Great guide! a small question for you and my clarification, in USB section of your exhaustive guide:
the following USB settings in the "Device" section of the Clover Configurator: "Inject", "Add ClockID", "FixOwnership", and “high current” they must be: checked or unchecked?

Hi kgp! Great guide! a small question for you and my clarification, in USB section of your exhaustive guide:
the following USB settings in the "Device" section of the Clover Configurator: "Inject", "Add ClockID", "FixOwnership", and “high current” they must be: checked or unchecked?

all unchecked!

@kgp Hey man, long time no see, hope you doing well, :thumbup:, even I been reading all your comments on the X299 iMac Pro.. Finally I got time to upgrade my 6950X to HS, everything seem good. Question on IPG, does it show you real Power Package of CPU? I tried some Broadwell CPU Kext but no luck, ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I update to 10.13.3 (17D47) and then install Nvidia display driver WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156, then it fails to boot, black screen.

With this script, https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update, installs Nvidia display driver WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.106, and flawlessly it boots into system, it works!

@kgp Hey man, long time no see, hope you doing well, :thumbup:, even I been reading all your comments on the X299 iMac Pro.. Finally I got time to upgrade my 6950X to HS, everything seem good. Question on IPG, does it show you real Power Package of CPU? I tried some Broadwell CPU Kext but no luck, ;)

I would say so, as long you enable SVID in your BIOS. I would not know how a yet unspecified Broadwell CPU Kext would modify or change the IPG CPU power consumption graph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back