Contribute
Register

[HELP]Sleep not working on Coffee Lake Laptop (MSI GV62 8RE) i7-8750H

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should add SATA-unsupported.kext for better support for the SATA controller.
With some laptops you have to patch _PTS and _WAK to call discrete _ON/_OFF (respectively). It is covered in my discrete disable guide.
You also didn't patch for instant wake.
And you forgot to disable hibernation.
How do I check which SATA-unsupported.kext I use? 100,200 or 300?

How do I check which SATA-unsupported.kext I use? 100,200 or 300?

There is a generic SATA-unsupported.kext. Look at ProBook repo on my github.

FYI: According to ioreg, your SATA device id is 0xa353. It is 300-series.

There is a generic SATA-unsupported.kext. Look at ProBook repo on my github.

FYI: According to ioreg, your SATA device id is 0xa353. It is 300-series.

Installed the kext.
Did a lot of other stuff and this is the result of what happens if I try to wake it up.
This is after it even goes to sleep in the first place(video attached).
PR Files also attached.
Sleep issue video -

Attachments

• debug_1849.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
Installed the kext.
Did a lot of other stuff and this is the result of what happens if I try to wake it up.
This is after it even goes to sleep in the first place(video attached).
PR Files also attached.
Sleep issue video -

Suggestions:
- get rid of DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext
- get rid of Boom
- implement USB correctly (see guide linked from FAQ)
- disable port HS07 (because device "MSI EPF USB" is going crazy)
- install SATA-unsupported.kext (from ProBook repo)
- disable hibernation (refer to CPU PM guide)
- try MacBookPro11,1
- repatch ACPI because your SystemMemory addresss don't match:
Code:
NUC6i7KYK:origin rehabman$ diff ../origin/ ../patched/ |grep SystemMemory
<     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x79924000, 0x0866)
>     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x798F4000, 0x0866)

Suggestions:
- get rid of DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext
- get rid of Boom
- implement USB correctly (see guide linked from FAQ)
- disable port HS07 (because device "MSI EPF USB" is going crazy)
- install SATA-unsupported.kext (from ProBook repo)
- disable hibernation (refer to CPU PM guide)
- try MacBookPro11,1
- repatch ACPI because your SystemMemory addresss don't match:
Code:
NUC6i7KYK:origin rehabman$ diff ../origin/ ../patched/ |grep SystemMemory
<     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x79924000, 0x0866)
>     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x798F4000, 0x0866)
Hmm, sleep seems to work after removing HS07 when Apple->Sleep is clicked.
But if I bring down the lid, it again reboots.
Nevermind I'll have to test some more and then I'll report back to you.
Also I'm gonna look into USBPorts.kext as another person with the same laptop as mine has fixed his sleep while fixing his 3.0 ports. I'll look into it.
Thanks rehabman you're my hero.

Hmm, sleep seems to work after removing HS07 when Apple->Sleep is clicked.
But if I bring down the lid, it again reboots.
Nevermind I'll have to test some more and then I'll report back to you.
Also I'm gonna look into USBPorts.kext as another person with the same laptop as mine has fixed his sleep while fixing his 3.0 ports. I'll look into it.
Thanks rehabman you're my hero.

Make sure you fix ACPI... because having mismatched SystemMemory addresses is a very bad idea.

Make sure you fix ACPI... because having mismatched SystemMemory addresses is a very bad idea.
Yes it's different because I changed some things in BIOS and forgot to re-patch the DSDT.
Also, the sleep is still unstable.
Out of 5 attempts(Apple->Sleep) only 3 times it worked and the other two times it rebooted.
I have XHCI-300-series-injector.kext in S/E.
And I'm not using XHCI->XHC patch in config.plist. Should I use it?
PR Files attached, please ignore the SystemMemory addresses mismatch for now, I'm gonna fix it asap. :)

Attachments

• debug_30882.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
FIXED

This is what is to be done to fix sleep on MSI GV62 8RE (and the likes maybe?).

1. First of all, the WhateverGreen.kext approach that I took to fix UHD630 acceleration on the latest mojave is wrong as it supports native graphics for UHD630 OOB(I learnt the hard way). So I deleted WhateverGreen.kext, opened kext utility to fix permissions then ran 'sudo kextcache -i /' in terminal without the quotes.
  2. Used Inject Intel = true and ig-platform-id as 0x3E9B0000.
  3. Finally, rebooted. Full VRAM(1536mb) with sleep even with USB WIFI Dongle attached. :p
However now, audio isn't working which was working before with layout-id 4 which was injected in config.plist/Devices/Properties.
HDEF loads but it looks like it's broken due to non-existence of WhateverGreen.kext.

Also, once the system wakes up from sleep(the very first time after a reboot), the power button's blue light(power light) goes off and turns a very light red as if the button is in low power mode. I dont know why this happens but its okay as long as its only aesthetic.

Problem reporting files attached (with CLOVER folder for anyone who wants to take a look)

The above is not the correct solution as when I removed the WhateverGreen.kext I also added EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to the drivers64UEFI folder which actually fixed the sleeping issue, this is what falsely led to me believe that WhateverGreen is the culprit when actually its not. Now I have it installed without any issue.

So there!

1. Put EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.
  2. Reboot and you'll have working, stable sleep(assuming you have rightly implemented CPU/GPU power management).
Problem Reporting files attached for anyone who wants EmuVariableUefi-64.efi or wants to check my config.plist for other stuff.

Attachments

• debug_21345.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
FIXED

This is what is to be done to fix sleep on MSI GV62 8RE (and the likes maybe?).

1. First of all, the WhateverGreen.kext approach that I took to fix UHD630 acceleration on the latest mojave is wrong as it supports native graphics for UHD630 OOB(I learnt the hard way). So I deleted WhateverGreen.kext, opened kext utility to fix permissions then ran 'sudo kextcache -i /' in terminal without the quotes.
  2. Used Inject Intel = true and ig-platform-id as 0x3E9B0000.
  3. Finally, rebooted. Full VRAM(1536mb) with sleep even with USB WIFI Dongle attached. :p
However now, audio isn't working which was working before with layout-id 4 which was injected in config.plist/Devices/Properties.
HDEF loads but it looks like it's broken due to non-existence of WhateverGreen.kext.

Also, once the system wakes up from sleep(the very first time after a reboot), the power button's blue light(power light) goes off and turns a very light red as if the button is in low power mode. I dont know why this happens but its okay as long as its only aesthetic.

Problem reporting files attached (with CLOVER folder for anyone who wants to take a look)

You might need FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext (with appropriate edits to the Info.plist) to support your HDEF device-id 0xa348.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back