Contribute
Register

[HELP]Sleep not working on Coffee Lake Laptop (MSI GV62 8RE) i7-8750H

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it is a graphics driver problem... (not likely ACPI/etc).

Try MacBookPro11,1.
No-go. Still reboots when put to sleep.
Do you suggest I should update to Mojave?

No-go. Still reboots when put to sleep.
Do you suggest I should update to Mojave?

No ideas without PR files... none attached.

You could always give Mojave a try...

No ideas without PR files... none attached.

You could always give Mojave a try...
PR files attached, note that this is with SMBIOS 15,2 because 11,1 also gave weird graphics glitches so even if sleep worked on it, I wouldn't be able to use it because of graphics glitches.

Attachments

• debug_5241.zip
    3 MB · Views: 61
@RehabMan
After updating to mojave, if I press the shift key when the display turns off, it quickly turns on and shows me the login screen and I can then login.
But if I wait, it still reboots. :(
Tried to attach video but .mp4 is not supported on here.
Some terminal outputs related to sleep-
-Output of 'pmset -g assertions'
  • Code:
    Assertion status system-wide:
       BackgroundTask                 0
       ApplePushServiceTask           0
       UserIsActive                   1
       PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
       PreventSystemSleep             0
       ExternalMedia                  0
       PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
       NetworkClientActive            0
    Listed by owning process:
       pid 96(hidd): [0x0000011d00098025] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294974131.3"
    Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
       id=501  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14500000 owner=USB2.0-CRW
       id=502  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14600000 owner=IOUSBHostDevice
       id=1035  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14100000 owner=Wireless N Nano USB Adapter
       id=1720  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14300000 owner=MSI EPF USB
    Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler
-Output of kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
  • Code:
    14    2 0xffffff7f820ab000 0x9c000    0x9c000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (6.1) 4423FFAE-7525-3F74-9E9D-E87EF1D43627 <13 12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
-Output of 'kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu' and 'kextstat|grep -y applelpc' are NIL.

Last edited:
PR files attached, note that this is with SMBIOS 15,2 because 11,1 also gave weird graphics glitches so even if sleep worked on it, I wouldn't be able to use it because of graphics glitches.

Need PR files that represent the MacBookPro11,1 attempt.

@RehabMan
After updating to mojave, if I press the shift key when the display turns off, it quickly turns on and shows me the login screen and I can then login.
But if I wait, it still reboots. :(
Tried to attach video but .mp4 is not supported on here.
Some terminal outputs related to sleep-
-Output of 'pmset -g assertions'
  • Code:
    Assertion status system-wide:
       BackgroundTask                 0
       ApplePushServiceTask           0
       UserIsActive                   1
       PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
       PreventSystemSleep             0
       ExternalMedia                  0
       PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
       NetworkClientActive            0
    Listed by owning process:
       pid 96(hidd): [0x0000011d00098025] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294974131.3"
    Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
       id=501  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14500000 owner=USB2.0-CRW
       id=502  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14600000 owner=IOUSBHostDevice
       id=1035  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14100000 owner=Wireless N Nano USB Adapter
       id=1720  level=255 0x4=USB mod=31/12/69, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14300000 owner=MSI EPF USB
    Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler
-Output of kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
  • Code:
    14    2 0xffffff7f820ab000 0x9c000    0x9c000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (6.1) 4423FFAE-7525-3F74-9E9D-E87EF1D43627 <13 12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
-Output of 'kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu' and 'kextstat|grep -y applelpc' are NIL.
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.
Okay, after a lot of trial and error this is what I did and somehow fixed it 50%.
A friend of mine told me to disable TPM from BIOS as it fixes sleep on some thinkpads so I did that.
Also

Okay, after a lot of trial and error this is what I did and somehow fixed it 50%.
A friend of mine told me to disable TPM from BIOS as it fixes sleep on some thinkpads so I did that.

That's a relatively common item to disable in BIOS for hacks...

Don't forget to re-extract/re-patch ACPI after changing any BIOS option.

That's a relatively common item to disable in BIOS for hacks...

Don't forget to re-extract/re-patch ACPI after changing any BIOS option.

Re-extracted and re-patched ACPI with basic dsdt patches.

Deleted USBInjectAll.kext and its ssdt to remove all usb ports (so debugging is easy).

Also did some changes in config.plist > acpi > fixes (FixIPIC,FixTMR).

Now when I put it to sleep from Apple->Sleep, it does go to sleep after almost 1min30secs(power button light blinks in 1 second periods). After that I press the power button and the screen comes on with just backlight, no display(also at this point, there's no light in the power button, comes back only after rebooting). Then the backlight turns off and that's my cue to press a keyboard key and then the display shows the login screen.

Once a successful sleep/wake cycle I can again send it to sleep for a number of times without any reboot.

Also, sometimes it just reboots instead of sleeping, so the success rate is 3 in 5, and sometimes it reboots after waking up while its still a black screen(with backlight).

Also, turning down the lid always reboots no matter what. So for now only fixing the Apple->Sleep.

PR Files attached after a successful sleep/wakeup.

What do you make of all this?

Attachments

• debug_12081.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
Re-extracted and re-patched ACPI with basic dsdt patches.

Deleted USBInjectAll.kext and its ssdt to remove all usb ports (so debugging is easy).

Also did some changes in config.plist > acpi > fixes (FixIPIC,FixTMR).

Now when I put it to sleep from Apple->Sleep, it does go to sleep after almost 1min30secs(power button light blinks in 1 second periods). After that I press the power button and the screen comes on with just backlight, no display(also at this point, there's no light in the power button, comes back only after rebooting). Then the backlight turns off and that's my cue to press a keyboard key and then the display shows the login screen.

Once a successful sleep/wake cycle I can again send it to sleep for a number of times without any reboot.

Also, sometimes it just reboots instead of sleeping, so the success rate is 3 in 5, and sometimes it reboots after waking up while its still a black screen(with backlight).

Also, turning down the lid always reboots no matter what. So for now only fixing the Apple->Sleep.

PR Files attached after a successful sleep/wakeup.

What do you make of all this?

You should add SATA-unsupported.kext for better support for the SATA controller.
With some laptops you have to patch _PTS and _WAK to call discrete _ON/_OFF (respectively). It is covered in my discrete disable guide.
You also didn't patch for instant wake.
And you forgot to disable hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back