Contribute
Register

[HELP] Error while trying to boot macOS High Sierra installer in Clover, error loading kernel cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B85-G43 Gaming
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone !
Sorry if I did not post in the correct section, I'm new to the hackintosh world, and in macOS in general, so please be indulgent with me ^^

I'm trying to make a hackintosh running macOS High Sierra, I created my bootable USB stick with Clover, on a 2006 iMac.
When trying to boot "macOS Install from Install macOS High Sierra" option, I get an error (in verbose mode): "Error loading kernel cache (0x7)". I tried using "-f" and "UseKernelCache=No" arguments, I still get the "Error loading kernel cache (0x7)".
Can someone help me? ^^

Attachments

• IMG_3550.JPG
    IMG_3550.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 700
Does not require Buying Advice - Moved to Desktop Support.

Hello everyone !
Sorry if I did not post in the correct section, I'm new to the hackintosh world, and in macOS in general, so please be indulgent with me ^^

I'm trying to make a hackintosh running macOS High Sierra, I created my bootable USB stick with Clover, on a 2006 iMac.
When trying to boot "macOS Install from Install macOS High Sierra" option, I get an error (in verbose mode): "Error loading kernel cache (0x7)". I tried using "-f" and "UseKernelCache=No" arguments, I still get the "Error loading kernel cache (0x7)".
Can someone help me? ^^
I have a similar problem. Created my USB with Unibeast but can make it work. After I choose the installer the Apple logo shows but the it stops with a no sign. Tried running in verbose and I got weird writing. Looks really bad!

I tried Unibeast with different pen drives with same result. I also made sure the macOS installer was full and not corrupted. Can't see where thing went wrong. Help!

• Can't help you without a Motherboard in your SPECS.

• Can't help you without a Motherboard in your SPECS.

Thank you for replying to my post, my motherboard is the MSI B83-G43 gaming :)

Thank you for replying to my post, my motherboard is the MSI B83-G43 gaming :)
  • When a Booting USB Installer Disk fails with a very vague error message as you have shown in the uploaded Verbose boot screen, it is hard/impossible to diagnose without a lot of details as opposed to very clear cut error messages that can pinpoint a SINGLE cause or a few limited number of causes.
  • We should know that for a normal boot for a USB installer racing toward the macOS Utilities Screen to find Disk Utility and locate the target HDD to Format and then start installing the highly compressed system files on to the System Partition of the Target Hard disk in several reboot cycles, the following conditions must have been met:
    • The MoBo+CPU+Graphics would support macOS High Sierra Installation
    • The macOS High Sierra Installer File downloaded was full and uncorrupt and satisfied the established SHAsum string from Apple.
    • The USB Flash disk is of the right size(~16GB) and Partitioned and Formatted in GPT+macOS Extended (Journaled) type.
    • The USB macOS High Sierra Installer Flash Disk has a CLOVER that is appropriate for the disk and contained all the Essential Kexts in /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and /CLOVER/config.plist needed to help it boot from BIOS to Installation screen
    • The BIOS options are chosen to boot this USB installer as First boot device and other BIOS options as USB controllers and Graphics options are properly chosen
  • Therefore , if a boot failure occurs the problem can be in any one or more of the above mentioned chain .
  • To troubleshot we need information about each of the links in the above chain.
  • Your providing the SPECS will give us a chance to look about the MoBO/CPU/Graphics from Documentation from the manufacturer's website of each component (meant for Windows) and research their hackintosh counterparts if any from various sources. ( or from our prior experience with them or similar hardware)
  • With the mention of you downloading macOS High Sierra Installer from App Store to a Real Mac, we presume it might be full and uncorrupt. But you should really confirm that for us using Shasum check [->#25]
  • But without what you have installed in the USB , we still cannot suggest a troubleshoot.
  • We need to know what items from BIOS you have ENABLED or Disabled or by Default ENABLED or DISABLED ( as the MoBo is made for Windows and Defaults are meant for Windows and NOT Mac) : Screen shots uploaded to the Forum from BIOS menus are the best
  • We need a compressed CLOVER folder from the USB installer -> #4
  • This along with the posted Verbose boot screen and your description in the post can help us to figure out what is the best next step.

The macOS High Sierra Installer File downloaded was full and uncorrupt and satisfied the established SHAsum string from Apple.
How do I know if it satisfies the SHAsum string from Apple?

The USB Flash disk is of the right size(~16GB) and Partitioned and Formatted in GPT+macOS Extended (Journaled) type.
I have a 32GB USB stick, partitioned in macOS Extended (Journaled) type, but I don't know about the GPT, what is it? What should I make patrtition? When I use Clover, it creates a new partition called EFI as expected.

The USB macOS High Sierra Installer Flash Disk has a CLOVER that is appropriate for the disk and contained all the Essential Kexts in /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and /CLOVER/config.plist needed to help it boot from BIOS to Installation screen

- How do I know what kexts do I need? I uploaded a screenshot of my kexts folder with this message. I put them in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13 AND in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other because I saw people putting them in the "10.13" folder, and other people putting the kexts in the "Other" folder, so to be sure I put them (the kexts ^^) in both folders, is it a good idea?
- What should I put in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder? I put the apfs.efi found in the package contents of the "Install macOS High Sierra" app, which is located in the "Applications" folder.
- I didn't edit the config.plist file, I don't know what should I edit, I thought keeping it like it has been created was the best solution.

kexts folder:
lrjcJLO.png

Clover configuration:
j1dcVCt.png

I have a 32GB USB stick, partitioned in macOS Extended (Journaled) type, but I don't know about the GPT, what is it? What should I make patrtition? When I use Clover, it creates a new partition called EFI as expected.

- How do I know what kexts do I need? I uploaded a screenshot of my kexts folder with this message. I put them in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13 AND in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other because I saw people putting them in the "10.13" folder, and other people putting the kexts in the "Other" folder, so to be sure I put them (the kexts ^^) in both folders, is it a good idea?
- What should I put in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder? I put the apfs.efi found in the package contents of the "Install macOS High Sierra" app, which is located in the "Applications" folder.
- I didn't edit the config.plist file, I don't know what should I edit, I thought keeping it like it has been created was the best solution.

kexts folder:
lrjcJLO.png

Clover configuration:
j1dcVCt.png

• High light the long Alphanumeric String from SHAhsum command output
  • Right click that highlighted string and from context menu >click on Google Search (I hope you had setup your system to use Googe as the search engine for that task or any alternative good search engines) which will opens webpage(s) matching the High Sierra and version number if the output is correct (and the download is full and uncorrupt) [See images 1 and 2]
I have a 32GB USB stick, partitioned in macOS Extended (Journaled) type, but I don't know about the GPT, what is it? What should I make patrtition?

• I hope the attached image (!.DU Partition and Format..)will help you fill your knowledge gap about DU Partition and Format of a Flash disk.
    • You probably did not observe what was displayed on screen when you clicked the "Erase" button in "Disk Utility" to Partition and Format the USB Flash drive as the first step to make your USB installer. The whole thing will occur very fast.
  • Creation of EFI partition is behind the scene and once the High Sierra is installed with Unibeast, for the very FIRST and the ONLY time, the EFI folder from the USB disk will be automatically mounted on the desktop.
    • It is one time you can click open and find its contents without manually mounting .
  • Once you eject the Unibeast created USB installer disk, the EFI partition will be HIDDEN to protect its valuable contents (boot files etc ) from getting accidentally erased or tampered with by users unfamiliar with its importance.
    • The only way you can then access EFI partition of a disk is using "EFI mounting Terminal command" or Tools like "EFI Mounter V3" or " Clover Configurator Vibrant(CCV)".
When I use Clover, it creates a new partition called EFI as expected.
  • Clover EFI is a Boot loader .
  • Clover EFI DOES not create EFI partition.
    • Don't expect it to create EFI partition.
  • When you use Multibeast ( multi-tools in One), it installs Clover EfI in the "EFI" Partition previously Created by Disk Utility in a Folder named EFI within a sub-folder named CLOVER .
  • This CLOVER folder has other Subfolders with contents of their own and
  • A very critical file called config.plist that is given the awesome responsibility to use the contents of the various CLOVER sub folders during the Boot.
  • Although all Folder contents are important, folders like /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and CLOVER/kexts/Other are CRITICALLY IMPORTANT for a SUCCESSFUL BOOT.
  • The 'numbered folders in "kexts" folder 10.6 to 10.13 are usually empty and SERVE NO USEFUL Purpose and can be safely deleted as the ESSENTIAL Files must be copied and pasted to "Other" folder ONLY.
  • I delete them leaving only "Other" with ESSENTIAL kexts in it.
What should I put in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder? I put the apfs.efi found in the package contents of the "Install macOS High Sierra" app, which is located in the "Applications" folder.

For each macOS High Sierra version , there is corresponding APFS.EFI which you can locate from Tonymac by search. You download , copy and paste it to /drivers64UEFI folder of CLOVER.

• The config.plist created by Multibeast may not be ALWAYS the BEST for your chosen hardware.
  • It is often close enough depending up on how you have chosen various menus in Multibeast like Drivers , Bootloaders , Customize .etc.
  • If in doubt check a Forum for your hardware to see what a successful installation had used asa config.plist or upload your config.plist along with all your hardware including Hard disk (s) Wifi etc to get ideas from people who may know better.

Attachments

• 1.Shasum command output.png
    1.Shasum command output.png
    23 KB · Views: 260
  • 2.Shasum match 10.13.4(17E199).png
    2.Shasum match 10.13.4(17E199).png
    368.7 KB · Views: 413
  • 1.DU Partition and Format 16GB Flash disk .png
    1.DU Partition and Format 16GB Flash disk .png
    291.4 KB · Views: 369
Once you eject the Unibeast created USB installer disk
I didn't created the USB installer with UniBeast but with terminal and then Clover v2.4k r4439

I think the problem comes from the fact that the iMac that I use to create the bootable USB drive is too old. It doesn't support either UniBeast or MultiBeast or Clover Configurator.

I didn't created the USB installer with UniBeast but with terminal and then Clover v2.4k r4439

I think the problem comes from the fact that the iMac that I use to create the bootable USB drive is too old. It doesn't support either UniBeast or MultiBeast or Clover Configurator.
What is the OS X or Mac OS on your iMac where you are creating the Installer disks?
Edited to add:
I had reviewed your "kexts/Other" and edited and uploaded it.
Try the edited CLOVER with these changes to see if that could help.

Attachments

• CLOVER:kexts:Other.png
    CLOVER:kexts:Other.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
What is the OS X or Mac OS on your iMac where you are creating the Installer disks?
I'm using a 2006 iMac running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5. What do you mean by "where"?

Edit: I tried to reach the installer but it did not work, I still get the error "Error loading kernel cache (0xe)"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back