Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Big Sur 11.4 (upgraded from Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630, OpenCore

Update : BaseMark GPU : Same score (about 3420).

The cause of the previous crash was due to multiple displays. So I ran the benchmark in a single 4K display and all looks OK...
In high settings I hope... I have around 20000 in Medium. High is really too slow for me...

Finally had the time to install the blower style CPU cooler.

Badly installed at first, ie not aligned straight, so thermal paste was all on the edge but almost nothing in center. Temperatures were higher than with cheap style OEM cooler!

I did it a second time, being more careful and now, idle temperatures are a tad better and it's really quieter. I will maybe add a third Noctua 80mm fan (bought for the CPU but was too slow), drilling some holes on the side... I'll see.

**As a sidenote, when waking from sleep this afternoon, with the old CPU cooler, CPU temp was really low, 27 Celcius degrees. Maybe it wasn't that bad finally!

43 Celcius degrees now typing here.

This case is really the worst ennemy for CPU cooling. I also plugged my two 120mm Noctua's with PWM plug. I could plug them with only three pins, dsiabling the PWM thus having more airflow. They are really quiet anyway and presently at 320 RPM...

You are right. The cosmetic design of the case is absolutely sleek and beautiful (I really love it), but from a thermal point of view it's a total nightmare.
However with the new fan setup it's acceptable and relatively quiet for me.
I didn't keep the Noctua as the top fan because it's too slow, and it won't pass the Dell Diagnostics in the BIOS (it will throw an error for this fan). So I put a standard Dell/Alienware 12cm fan and this is OK.

You are right. The cosmetic design of the case is absolutely sleek and beautiful (I really love it), but from a thermal point of view it's a total nightmare.
However with the new fan setup it's acceptable and relatively quiet for me.
I didn't keep the Noctua as the top fan because it's too slow, and it won't pass the Dell Diagnostics in the BIOS (it will throw an error for this fan). So I put a standard Dell/Alienware 12cm fan and this is OK.
My error, I realize it now, is having bought PWM fans… I’ve bought today two BeQuiet 120mm three pins fans and as I understand by reading the Dell forums, they’ll run at max missing the fourth pin. Their RPM is 1150 max so it will probably push (front) and pull (top) more air than the Noctua’s PWM, those revving at around 800-900 max. The noise will probably be quite negligible too…

Also, I’ve bought a better PSU, an EVGA Supernova G5@650w. A tad of Arctic Silver paste too to put back (again) the blower. Needed when you want to alter anything PSU or fan wise…

I’ve noticed by using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (in Windows 11) that the CPU power throttles after a few seconds of high workload, dropping to the 3.2 GHz base level. It surely does the same in MacOS when the CPU fan begins to sound like a jet engine. Yes, even the blower type heatsink is quite loud under load.

However, it’s quieter at idle or light load.

If the CPU still power throttles after that, I’ll replace the CPU cooler with something else low profile. I understand that the BIOS parameters are really limited to alter CPU setting, which could help. Easy in Windows with Throttlestop but I saw a kext that I’ll maybe try, « GoodbyeBigSlow.kext ».

Did you have some trouble replacing the PSU ? Some size issue or missing connectors / sensors to fit the Dell perfectly ? Does it pass the Bios Diagnostics after replacement?
I noticed that the original PSU fan can be loud at some time, maybe a very good power supply would be quieter...

Did you have some trouble replacing the PSU ? Some size issue or missing connectors / sensors to fit the Dell perfectly ? Does it pass the Bios Diagnostics after replacement?
I noticed that the original PSU fan can be loud at some time, maybe a very good power supply would be quieter...
Not done yet but the PSU looks to be around the same size of the OEM. One cable is needed though, a 15 pins SATA to 6 pins to power the Slim line DVD player/recorder. Ordered from Amazon.

The BIOS diagnostics aren’t a priority for me as now, with the Noctua fans, it fails at « top fan » test obviously.

The original PSU doesn’t even spin that often in my case, or I didn’t looked carefully under load. The one I bought has an ECO silent mode anyway.

About the power throttle, it looks to be a problem on the MB and the way it handles the CPU parameters, ie, no options available to end user. Mine is an i7-8700 with low 65w TDP.

BTW, the kext I’ve mentioned did nothing to help.

If I run a CPU benchmark test right after waking from sleep, results are higher as the temp was low.

If I run a second test once the computer has been used for a while, result will be lower as the idle temp then oscillate between 45-50 Celcius degrees.

I see if the two speed fixed fans and the PSU will help mitigate CPU power throttle. Anyway, that’s just my office machine (web surfing, texts, YouTube, Mail) so that’s not the end of the world. However, it’s a bummer that this powerful CPU is strangled by the case and MB design!

Updated to 11.7.3 and reverted to OC 0.8.8. I got an RX5500 but DRM (downloaded iTunes movies) was a pain. It was working with only one monitor connected to HDMI. It also worked when selected from main TV view but not chosen in my video library, weird. The RX460 with Acre FB does the job nicely anyway.

Updated to 11.7.3 and reverted to OC 0.8.8. I got an RX5500 but DRM (downloaded iTunes movies) was a pain. It was working with only one monitor connected to HDMI. It also worked when selected from main TV view but not chosen in my video library, weird. The RX460 with Acre FB does the job nicely anyway.
When you say "reverted to OC 0.8.9", this is the latest published version (except from the 0.8.9 beta builds). What version did you have before ?

When you say "reverted to OC 0.8.9", this is the latest published version (except from the 0.8.9 beta builds). What version did you have before ?
Sorry, badly explained. Reverted back, again, to OC from Clover. Back and forth since a few weeks but now at 0.8.8 and I'll stay there as it works fine (no KP, reboots, etc...). Not 0.8.9 BTW!

Remaining: PSU and fans replacement as I have all the parts but I am lazy :)

Back