Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Big Sur 11.4 (upgraded from Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630, OpenCore

@Skyfoxxp :

I've finally bought a Sapphire Pulse RX580 and I think it's the best choice in my case:

- no more lags or quirks when benching;
- I had a random black screen (then coming back) for a second on my second monitor so I reverted to OC 0.8.3 with all Acidanthera kexts from September 2021. So far, no black random black screen but time will tell.

I injected the Orinoco FrameBuffer BTW...

Still not (too lazy) replaced the PSU and fans as it implies a complete disassembly of the CPU cooler!

Edit: bummer, a random black screen happened a few seconds ago. I'll try my second monitor on another port (DP instead of DVI).

Last edited:
Great news !
I will look for the Orinoco FrameBuffer to know more about this !

On my side, I replaced the Pulse RX 570 with the Pulse RX 6600. This card has an excellent performance compared to the previous RX 570, and is clearly quieter.

Great news !
I will look for the Orinoco FrameBuffer to know more about this !

On my side, I replaced the Pulse RX 570 with the Pulse RX 6600. This card has an excellent performance compared to the previous RX 570, and is clearly quieter.
Back to 0.8.8 again... I'll go buy a second DVI to HDMI cable as a last resort. Random black screen happens too in Windows, annoying! Several times in a day and only on one monitor...

**Just happened as I was typing :(

I never had such a black screen with the RX 570 or 6600 (and I have been using the RX 570 for the last 2 years on a HP Z220 before the Dell). I would say that your RX 580 has some kind of defect (or maybe the cable).

I never had such a black screen with the RX 570 or 6600 (and I have been using the RX 570 for the last 2 years on a HP Z220 before the Dell). I would say that your RX 580 has some kind of defect (or maybe the cable).
Well, it's the monitor: as soon as I try to adjust parameters on it (little buttons at the bottom) it makes the same thing. It also ends where I can't adjust anymore the parameters or shut if off with the power button... I have to unplug the power, wait a few minutes and try to adjust until the cycle begins again!

I'll shop for a wider 32 inches instead of two identical ones, maybe curved, dunno.

**Found an used identical one not too pricey to replace the busted one. One 27 or 32 won’t fit on my computer desk because of the top shelves…

Last edited:
I can really recommend to use a 4K monitor. MacOS looks beautifully on these 4K monitors and the 8930+Radeon RX is totally capable to drive them... ;)

I can really recommend to use a 4K monitor. MacOS looks beautifully on these 4K monitors and the 8930+Radeon RX is totally capable to drive them... ;)
Oh well, the new « used » Acer S220HQL is coming this week or at the beginning of the next. Far from being 4K but I use this machine solely for email/office work so it doesn’t bother me not being full fledged visually. My wallet will also thank me…

Finally added a NVMe blade (WD Black SN770) and a new LG 26WQ500 26 inches monitor...

Had a KP today. Could be related to latest changes:

- OC 0.8.8 mod (no ACPI injected to Windows). Went back to straight 0.8.8;
- added NVMeFix.kext so it could be that. Removed!

I've applied the exact quirks found in the 0.6.9 OC folder posted in this thread. I was following Coffee Lake recommended ones from Dortania instead before tonight. It booted fine but let's see in the long run if it will KP again. This one was really random... Found the computer on the picker screen this afternoon out of nowhere!

Unfortunately, the KP happened so fast that it didn't wrote a diagnostic log :(

Finally added a NVMe blade (WD Black SN770) and a new LG 26WQ500 26 inches monitor...

Had a KP today. Could be related to latest changes:

- OC 0.8.8 mod (no ACPI injected to Windows). Went back to straight 0.8.8;
- added NVMeFix.kext so it could be that. Removed!

I've applied the exact quirks found in the 0.6.9 OC folder posted in this thread. I was following Coffee Lake recommended ones from Dortania instead before tonight. It booted fine but let's see in the long run if it will KP again. This one was really random... Found the computer on the picker screen this afternoon out of nowhere!

Unfortunately, the KP happened so fast that it didn't wrote a diagnostic log :(
Are you sure you didn't have a power issue that would have explained this hard reboot / KP ?

Also, please check in your Device Properties that the internal iGPU is configured for computing only, and not to display things. I forgot to check this on mine and have some random issues from time to time, that were gone after fixing it !

Are you sure you didn't have a power issue that would have explained this hard reboot / KP ?

Also, please check in your Device Properties that the internal iGPU is configured for computing only, and not to display things. I forgot to check this on mine and have some random issues from time to time, that were gone after fixing it !
Could effectively be a power issue... as I still run the OEM PSU (lazy, the EVGA is still in the box!).

Also, OC wasn't configured to keep kernel panic logs so I've fixed it... but no KP since... Maybe the modified quirks helped somewhat?

My iGPU is completely absent from OC as I've added -disablegfxfirmware and wegnoigpu boot flags (iMac1,1 SMBIOS).

Back