Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Big Sur 11.4 (upgraded from Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630, OpenCore

Now test driving an update to Monterey on an external SSD. I'll monitor for a couple of weeks but so far, it looks more of a polished version of Big Sur... This way, I get one more year of security updates at least!

Well, dreaded message came back after stuck sleep (needing a hard reboot). Monterey was fine for the last month and then...:

Code:
 Failure Failure during sleep: SAT0(AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI): Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState

Success! On Ventura since end of December and the culprit could had been two things (probably):

1- the internal DVD writer. I've disconnected it and kept only an external Pioneer DVD writer.

2- There was also a second audio interface that I've completely uninstalled as I didn't need it.

3- A bios update was also available at mid December so, who knows?

Finally migrated the external Ventura test disk completely a few minutes ago with the help of Carbon Copy Cloner!

**Also replaced the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 with a cheap HP RX5500 as the Polaris card was using a lot of watts at idle.

Success! On Ventura since end of December and the culprit could had been two things (probably):

1- the internal DVD writer. I've disconnected it and kept only an external Pioneer DVD writer.

2- There was also a second audio interface that I've completely uninstalled as I didn't need it.

3- A bios update was also available at mid December so, who knows?

Finally migrated the external Ventura test disk completely a few minutes ago with the help of Carbon Copy Cloner!

**Also replaced the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 with a cheap HP RX5500 as the Polaris card was using a lot of watts at idle.
This is extremely interesting !
I also have some doubts on the internal DVD drive and was thinking on unplugging it.
What is the 2nd audio interface ? Could you please explain how you can uninstall it ?

This is extremely interesting !
I also have some doubts on the internal DVD drive and was thinking on unplugging it.
What is the 2nd audio interface ? Could you please explain how you can uninstall it ?
I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as main audio interface (I’ve never used the onboard audio on any of my computers as I am a bit picky and do some music work for my job, music teacher). I had also a Roland Quad-Capture, just for testing as my son told me it was probably defective… I uninstalled the Roland as anyways, latest official driver was for Monterey.

Attempting… for the second time a Sonoma upgrade:

- took an infinite time yesterday;
- I was stucked with no Wifi (obviously) and unable to download requirements addons for OCLP… to enable the Wifi?
- I would had to move the computer (lots of wires) near the router as I only have short Ethernet cables.

So, Carbon Copy Cloned again Ventura on an external but, this time, with the Python components already installed for OCLP…

Now making a copy of my Ventura Photos library as I know that once you install a new MacOS, Photos is not backward compatible!

Should be at Sonoma in the following hours if all goes well.

***I don’t know why OCLP already built app doesn’t detect automatically the « Modern WiFi » patch on my computer? It’s not easy to make OCLP.command running if you aren’t carefully prepared!

Before installing OCLP, you need to do some modifications in the config.plist and include AMFIpass.kext.

I had it installed back in October and it was working. But for now I'm back in Ventura and will still wait before migrating to Sonoma...

Before installing OCLP, you need to do some modifications in the config.plist and include AMFIpass.kext.

I had it installed back in October and it was working. But for now I'm back in Ventura and will still wait before migrating to Sonoma...
Yeah, without this kext (version 1.4.0), it won't boot... It was a hassle to make OCLP.command works and I was unable to build the application anyway... I also had to put -brcmfxbeta in the boot args as airportbrcmfixup wasn't working without it???

So far, testing it on my external disk but I understand that I'll have to reapply the root patches each time there is a point update.

I'll try again to build the OCLP app from a fresh unzipped folder (you can run the command by itself in the folder once the requirements are installed but it's a bit quirky!).

Yeah, without this kext (version 1.4.0), it won't boot... It was a hassle to make OCLP.command works and I was unable to build the application anyway... I also had to put -brcmfxbeta in the boot args as airportbrcmfixup wasn't working without it???

So far, testing it on my external disk but I understand that I'll have to reapply the root patches each time there is a point update.

I'll try again to build the OCLP app from a fresh unzipped folder (you can run the command by itself in the folder once the requirements are installed but it's a bit quirky!).

Yes but son't worry too much about the root patches to reapply after updates, it's very straightforward and even automatic, OCLP will popup at startup to let you do this for you.
And also you won't benefit from the incremental updates. For each update it will download the full 12 GB version. Not an issue if you have a good fiber internet connection.

Yes but son't worry too much about the root patches to reapply after updates, it's very straightforward and even automatic, OCLP will popup at startup to let you do this for you.
And also you won't benefit from the incremental updates. For each update it will download the full 12 GB version. Not an issue if you have a good fiber internet connection.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to build the app (the « standard » app you can find on GitHub doesn’t detect the « modern WiFi patch »). Thus, I need to run the executable Python script from within the GitHub downloaded source folder.

My Wifi card is a PCIe Asus PCE-AC-68 (Broadcom 4360) and not the ubiquitous Fenvi so maybe it’s the reason why OCLP won’t detect it (unless I edit the setup file inside the downloaded GitHub folder).

So, obviously, OCLP won’t pop up at startup.

Anyway, it appears OCLP is now broken for Sonoma 14.4 beta and I only « test drive » Sonoma for a while to see if it’s worthwhile to me.

Thanks for your insights,

Patrice

Back