Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

@rauan1,

UHD 630 IGPU is proving to be a difficult nut to crack and seems to require some non-standard methods to get working which may be why @CaseySJ didn't use any properties under devices in config.plist and specified a Fake ID for the IGPU.

I Don't have a Coffee Lake / UHD 630 system so its not possible for me to test/debug.

Are you running Mojave ? .... if so I believe I read somewhere that Apple has disabled DRM support for AMD RX 5XX/5XX GPU's, therefor you should try configuring MacOS to use the Intel IGPU for DRM playback.

See the DRM section of the guide for more info ...

Suggested Process :-

1. Reset MacOS DRM Configuration :-

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/SC\ Info
sudo defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
sudo defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

2. Reboot PC and log back into MacOS

3. Set boot argument shikigva=1 in config.plist

4. Force MacOS to use Intel IGPU for online DRM Playback :-

Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -boolean yes

5. Reboot PC and log back into MacOS, try playing NetFlix DRM Content.

Thats about all I can suggest at this stage.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay
I am not sure if this is a problem, but I am getting a message that com.apple.coremedia not found:
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 9.25.48 PM.png

@robyrocker89,

When using WhetEverGreen you must remove all IGPU flags and parameters from the Devices and Graphics sections of your config.plist ... failure to do so can result in a IGPU configuration conflict between WEG & Clover, not saying this is the problem but something to be aware of/check.

Solo CFL UHD 630 IGPU configurations (no dGPU) are proving difficult to get working/stable, lots of problems being reported by lots of users .. probably the most posted issue in the last few weeks here at TMx86.

I recommend keeping an eye on @CaseySJ's FB patching guide here ... as he seems to be getting somewhere with it the issue.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you so much for your suggestions! :)
I will try to check the @CaseySJ's FB patching guide.
Only one note: I have an UHD 620...not UHD 630 as mentioned by you...is it the same?

Thank you

Regards

Thank you so much for your suggestions! :)
I will try to check the @CaseySJ's FB patching guide. Only one note: I have an UHD 620...not UHD 630 as mentioned by you...is it the same?

@robyrocker89,

Sorry my bad .... re IGPU type.

Unfortunately I don't have any CFL CPU systems yet so I can't answer your question from a personal perspective.
Certainly I've seen more issues reported with UHD 630 than UHD 620 but not sure if thats because UHD 620 is less problematic or that there are more systems using UHD 630 than UHD 620.

I think a lot of the problems are coming from people using Mac Mini 8,X SMBIOS as its the only SMBIOS that is for CFL CPU's. As those systems only have Thunderbolt 3 ports for displays configured as Display Ports in the FrameBuffer they require manually patching for HDMI/DVI and that is where people are running into problems. But @CaseySJ is working hard with a number of users to understand the issues and is making progress.

I think one solution might be to Spoof the CFL CPU/IGPU as KBL CPU/IGPU and use a iMac18,3 SMBIOS but l can't test this theory due to lack of hardware. This can be very easily achieved using the boot argument lilucpu=9 and PlatformID 0x59120000 .. Which will Spoof the CPU as Kaby Lake and the IGPU as HD 630 .... give it a try if and let me know if it works.

failing that check out the thread i linked you to and post your issue and PR files there, hopefully you'll find some answers.

Cheers
Jay

I am not sure if this is a problem, but I am getting a message that com.apple.coremedia not found:

@rauan1,

Hummm that is strange, and for sure if coremedia is not running then that would be why your unable to play DRM content. I haven't seen this issue myself on any of my systems so its very difficult for me to diagnose what the issue is.

Are you able to use iMessage ? .. the reason I ask is that iMessage relies on MacOS critical id's (MLB,ROM, S/N .. etc) all being correct ... if any fail to pass security checks then iMessage is effectively disabled ... since that is an online process (as is the coremedia on-line renderer) it possible that something similar is going on ... this is just a theory mind.

If you are able to use iMessage then it's unlikely .. but if not i recommend using this guide to get iMessage working :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Be sure to follow all the steps to make sure S/N is valid ..

Cheers
Jay

@rauan1,

Hummm that is strange, and for sure if coremedia is not running then that would be why your unable to play DRM content. I haven't seen this issue myself on any of my systems so its very difficult for me to diagnose what the issue is.

Are you able to use iMessage ? .. the reason I ask is that iMessage relies on MacOS critical id's (MLB,ROM, S/N .. etc) all being correct ... if any fail to pass security checks then iMessage is effectively disabled ... since that is an online process (as is the coremedia on-line renderer) it possible that something similar is going on ... this is just a theory mind.

If you are able to use iMessage then it's unlikely .. but if not i recommend using this guide to get iMessage working :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Be sure to follow all the steps to make sure S/N is valid ..

Cheers
Jay

I am sure I am able to use iMessage. I can check it again and let you know. I never had problems and checked it every time when I created my build from the scratch.
I still can check the guide though.

By the way, I am running my build as Mac Mini 8.1. Because my processor is CFL and the guide I followed is based on Mac Mini. Can this be an issue?

Last edited:
By the way, I am running my build as Mac Mini 8.1. Because my processor is CFL and the guide I followed is based on Mac Mini. Can this be an issue?

@rauan1,

I have a theory about using the Mac mini 8,X SMBIOS .. see my post to @robyrocker89 .. #205 above, its just a theory mind :) as I have no way to test or prove it.

Cheers
Jay

@rauan1,

I have a theory about using the Mac mini 8,X SMBIOS .. see my post to @robyrocker89 .. #205 above, its just a theory mind :) as I have no way to test or prove it.

Cheers
Jay
Yeah, I saw that post, that's why I mentioned it :)
I think CaseySJ's guide is great, but I am afraid I have some differences in my build that make his mods not compatible with mine for DRM. I am not sure if that's really the case, but he may also use Thunderbolt in his display connection where I use DP. Not sure if it makes any difference or not.

I thought if you instruct me I could test it on my system. I can go ahead and just try to change my SMBIOS to 18.3 or anything else. My concern is I am not very knowledgeable and I feel like walking in the dark with all the changes I made myself.

I thought if you instruct me I could test it on my system. I can go ahead and just try to change my SMBIOS to 18.3 or anything else. My concern is I am not very knowledgeable and I feel like walking in the dark with all the changes I made myself.

@rauan1,

As long as you make backups of your current EFI, any changes you make can always be backed out.

One method I use quite a lot is to make a copy of your config.plist in /EFI/Clover and call it config-old.plist, you can then make changes to your active config.plist and if for some reasons the changes don't work and cause MacOS to KP or not boot then you can select config-old.plist from the Clover menu ( Options -> Configs and select config-old.plist) that way you'll always be able to boot MacOS to a working config.

There are many users reporting DRM issues with CFL CPU's/IGPU's .. as i've already said unfortunately i don't have a CFL system to test so its difficult for me to suggest what to do.

However if I was in your shoes I would try using SMBIOS iMac 18,3 and spoofing CFL as KBL using the boot argument lilucpu=9 and then configure the IGPU with WhatEverGreen using the PlatformID 0x59120000.

If you decide to change SMBIOS type, be sure to logout of iCloud and all Apple accounts and keep system off line until all MacOS critical id's (MLB,ROM, S/N .. etc) are stable and checked for validity (use this guide).

See the Lilu + Plug-in's guide for info on using WhatEverGreen and setting PlatformID

Cheers
Jay

@rauan1,

As long as you make backups of your current EFI, any changes you make can always be backed out.

One method I use quite a lot is to make a copy of your config.plist in /EFI/Clover and call it config-old.plist, you can then make changes to your active config.plist and if for some reasons the changes don't work and cause MacOS to KP or not boot then you can select config-old.plist from the Clover menu ( Options -> Configs and select config-old.plist) that way you'll always be able to boot MacOS to a working config.

There are many users reporting DRM issues with CFL CPU's/IGPU's .. as i've already said unfortunately i don't have a CFL system to test so its difficult for me to suggest what to do.

However if I was in your shoes I would try using SMBIOS iMac 18,3 and spoofing CFL as KBL using the boot argument lilucpu=9 and then configure the IGPU with WhatEverGreen using the PlatformID 0x59120000.

If you decide to change SMBIOS type, be sure to logout of iCloud and all Apple accounts and keep system off line until all MacOS critical id's (MLB,ROM, S/N .. etc) are stable and checked for validity (use this guide).

See the Lilu + Plug-in's guide for info on using WhatEverGreen and setting PlatformID

Cheers
Jay
Thank you for your recommendations! I didn't know that I could select another plist from the Clover menu. I just did it, I am sure it will save me from problems in future.

Meanwhile I started from the scratch (again) and I am on 18.3 now. I also found that I didn't have iMessage and handoff/continuity working. I figured out that whenever I uninstalled EmuVariableUefi-64.efi according to the guide I followed it was disabling iMessage and Handoff features.

I will try different platform id and report back.

Last edited:
Back