Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

I think in this post you were asking about my post? If it was, Vega is faster than iGPU, however, I still would like a complete system where iGPU is used for some tasks. However, enabling iGPU breaks DRM compatibility.

@Tom012, @mafx3,

MacOS will always favour IQS (Intel Quick Sync) for some tasks even if you have two Vegas installed, also there are some features that will only work on the IGPU such as AirPlay Mirror, this allows MacOS to use the IGPU for video encode/decode even if the dGPU is being heavily utilised EG: FCPX running in Background exporting a large video file.

MacOS basically load balances GPU tasks between the IGPU & dGPU, light tasks will be sent to the IGPU, heavy tasks sent to the dGPU or both, this is why it's important to enable the IGPU and configure it as headless as this is how most iMacs are configured in real life, it's a clever and efficient use of system resources.

Cheers
Jay

Update: I added a new section to the end of the WhatEverGreen Chapter detailing DRM playback issues.

Last edited:
Awesome guide @jaymonkey. Sadly for me on my XPS 9550 every attempt to get DRM working does not work for me. I have tried 1,57 and 60 values along with reseting my configuration each time and rebooting after every change but the errors are still the same. In QuickTime I get the dreaded "This movie cannot be played because it is on a display that is not authorized to play protected movies.Try moving this window to a different display or disconnecting any displays that are not HDCP authorized.". Safari doesn't play any DRM content either. It is annoying as Chrome and Firefox play the DRM content fine on my screen just Safari, QuickTime and iTunes don't play ball. Hopefully there is a solution to this. Thanks again for compiling this information together it has been very helpful.
Reece

Awesome guide @jaymonkey. Sadly for me on my XPS 9550 every attempt to get DRM working does not work for me. I have tried 1,57 and 60 values along with reseting my configuration each time and rebooting after every change but the errors are still the same. In QuickTime I get the dreaded "This movie cannot be played because it is on a display that is not authorized to play protected movies.Try moving this window to a different display or disconnecting any displays that are not HDCP authorized.". Safari doesn't play any DRM content either. It is annoying as Chrome and Firefox play the DRM content fine on my screen just Safari, QuickTime and iTunes don't play ball. Hopefully there is a solution to this. Thanks again for compiling this information together it has been very helpful.
Reece

@reece394,

Thanks for the feedback, sorry to read that it did not help, its very strange that DRM content will play in Chrome and Firefox but not in Safari, QuickTime and iTunes ?

I'm not sure what else to suggest as i only just recently updated the guide with everything i know about resolving DRM issues .. if I had to guess I would say that its some sort of issue with the IGPU configuration or SMBIOS as it only seems to effect Apple Apps (Safari, QuickTime and iTunes).

Did you try configuring/forcing MacOS DRM to use the IGPU with the command :-
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -boolean yes

You could also try the values 4 or 12 for the boot argument ... although i doubt it will work if 60 did not work but woth a shot at this stage.

Cheers
Jay

@reece394,

Thanks for the feedback, sorry to read that it did not help, its very strange that DRM content will play in Chrome and Firefox but not in Safari, QuickTime and iTunes ?

I'm not sure what else to suggest as i only just recently updated the guide with everything i know about resolving DRM issues .. if I had to guess I would say that its some sort of issue with the IGPU configuration or SMBIOS as it only seems to effect Apple Apps (Safari, QuickTime and iTunes).

Did you try configuring/forcing MacOS DRM to use the IGPU with the command :-
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -boolean yes

You could also try the values 4 or 12 for the boot argument ... although i doubt it will work if 60 did not work but woth a shot at this stage.

Cheers
Jay
I tried the force intel command already and sadly it didn't work. I will try 4 and 12 as well now but you are most likely right that it is something wrong with the IGPU config or SMBIOS. Will have to dig into it some more if 4 or 12 don't work. I believe I am using the correct SMBIOS for my hardware MacBookPro13,3 with BoardID Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C. Lots of people are struggling with the DRM with Mojave breaking peoples installs so I might just have to accept it not working. Thanks for the quick reply and the help it is appreciated!
Reece
Edit:
4 and 12 are no goes either. Will have to recheck my configurations again next week when I have more time.

Last edited:
I believe I am using the correct SMBIOS for my hardware MacBookPro13,3 with BoardID Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C.

@reece394,

Based on the i7 6700HQ CPU in your laptop, MacBookPro13,3 would be the correct choice for SMBIOS. Your IGPU will be HD 530 so the PlatformID to use with WhatEverGreen will be 0x191B0000 which is also the correct one for the MacBookPro13,3.

I assume that you have checked that your PlatformID is correct ( 0x191B0000) ?

I know there are people with DRM issues as Apple dropped DRM on some AMD GPU's for Mojave, but most are sorted with shikigva=1 and configuring MacOS DRM to use Intel IGPU for DRM playback.

Let me know if you make any progress or if you find something that could be added to the guide that might help others.

Cheers
Jay

@reece394,

Based on the i7 6700HQ CPU in your laptop, MacBookPro13,3 would be the correct choice for SMBIOS. Your IGPU will be HD 530 so the PlatformID to use with WhatEverGreen will be 0x191B0000 which is also the correct one for the MacBookPro13,3.

I assume that you have checked that your PlatformID is correct ( 0x191B0000) ?

I know there are people with DRM issues as Apple dropped DRM on some AMD GPU's for Mojave, but most are sorted with shikigva=1 and configuring MacOS DRM to use Intel IGPU for DRM playback.

Let me know if you make any progress or if you find something that could be added to the guide that might help others.

Cheers
Jay
I will indeed let you know if I figure something out. And yep my Platform ID matches 0x191B0000.

I will indeed let you know if I figure something out. And yep my Platform ID matches 0x191B0000.

@reece394,

About the only other thing I can suggest is to check/test that HECI in DSDT is renamed as IMEI and active in ioreg, run the following command in terminal :-

Code:
ioreg | grep IMEI

Terminal should report IMEI device path and the status (registered, matched, active) ...

WhatEverGreen should take care of sorting out the IMEI (Intel Management Engine Interface) , however i seem to remember someone reporting that it did not work and had to use the Clover ACPI Rename/Fix instead.

Cheers
Jay

Congrats for this complete guide @jaymonkey ;)

Hey guys, there's a fix for dual monitors (HDMI + DVI), using Intel UHD 630 only? (without dGPU).

Thanks

Hey guys, there's a fix for dual monitors (HDMI + DVI), using Intel UHD 630 only? (without dGPU).

@Allan Oliveira,

Thanks for the feedback, solo UHD 630 IGPU is proving to be a difficult nut to crack for some users, but progress is being made thanks to the work that @CaseySJ is making with patching frame buffers, suggest you take a look at his patching thread for info and help as I believe he has helped a few users to make some good steps forwards,

Unfortunately I don't have a system with UHD 630 IGPU so not able to test, hopefully the fixes found will be implemented in the next release of WhatEverGreen which should make things a bit more straight forward in the future.

Cheers
Jay

Back