Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With two GPU I was able to use 3 or more, but is it possible with one?
Yes--I'm actually running 3 monitors off a 7970.
You need to be using an Active MiniDisplayport/Displayport to DVI/HDMI/etc. converter (preferably AMD certified) so that the third one works right, otherwise only DVI and HDMI will work. Of course, you could just use a Displayport monitor on one of the displayports--then you wouldn't need an adapter and it would "just work" all the same.

The only drawback to this is that if you are dual-booting--whether from the same HD or separate one--Windows will always use the Internal graphics if it is set to the primary display. Since we are wanting to eliminate the need to have to constantly reconfigure options, this will add more tedium.
You can always disable the HD graphics under Windows, too, and then Windows just won't use it. (Although Ritey's idea about using Lucid Virtu puts the HD graphics to good use!)

Yes--I'm actually running 3 monitors off a 7970.
You need to be using an Active MiniDisplayport/Displayport to DVI/HDMI/etc. converter (preferably AMD certified) so that the third one works right, otherwise only DVI and HDMI will work. Of course, you could just use a Displayport monitor on one of the displayports--then you wouldn't need an adapter and it would "just work" all the same.

I have a Dell 2470 on the Display Port, A Dell E228 on the HDMI (with a HDMI to DVI adapter) and an LG L1730S on the DVI port (with a DVI to DSUB adapter). This setup should work, but it doesn't. Any two of this three work, but not the all.

I see the third display in the System Preferences/Displays/Arrangement, it has a settings window, the monitor gets signal, but the screen is black. Nor the rotation trick wakes it up.

Is your monitor on the DisplayPort using a pure DisplayPort --> DisplayPort cable, or is it using DisplayPort --> DVI?
Also, what exact model of 7950 do you have?

Is your monitor on the DisplayPort using a pure DisplayPort --> DisplayPort cable, or is it using DisplayPort --> DVI?
Also, what exact model of 7950 do you have?

Display Port Using the Displayport input on my monitor. The 7950 is a Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 Windforce 3072MB GDDR5.

I'm guessing the cable is something like this then:
http://www.hkbest.com.cn/PIC/MiniDP_M-to-DP_M-Cable-400L.jpg

Hmm... A few things come to mind:
1. Are you using GraphicsEnabler=No?
2. Do you have all monitors plugged in on boot?
3. Have you tried unplugging and replugging the displayport cable into the card after logging in?
4. What does System Profiler say in the "Graphics/Displays" section under "Hardware"?
5. Does it work properly under any other system (Linux, Windows, etc)?

I'm guessing the cable is something like this then:
http://www.hkbest.com.cn/PIC/MiniDP_M-to-DP_M-Cable-400L.jpg

Hmm... A few things come to mind:
1. Are you using GraphicsEnabler=No?
2. Do you have all monitors plugged in on boot?
3. Have you tried unplugging and replugging the displayport cable into the card after logging in?
4. What does System Profiler say in the "Graphics/Displays" section under "Hardware"?
5. Does it work properly under any other system (Linux, Windows, etc)?

I use the original mini Displaport to Displayport adapter (came with the card) with a standard display port cable (came with the monitor).

1. Yes, GE=No
2. Tried 3 monitors plugged in at boot and tried with 2 and plugged the third one later
3. As soon I disconnect the Display port, the third monitor activating, as soon as I plug it back, the third monitor goes black.
4. It shows the following:

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x679a
Revision ID: 0x0000
Displays:
DELL U2410:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: F525M15Q0MJL
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Television: Yes
DELL E228WFP:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: DT86778N00BM
L1730S :
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

5. I don't have any other operating system.

That's really strange--you're doing everything right and it's still behaving weirdly.
I'm guessing it's not something obvious like turning the monitor off and back on?

Whenever you unplug any of the 3 monitors, do the other 2 (no matter which port they're connected to) work? Like, if you unplug DVI, suddenly do the other 2 work?

Also, I wonder if it's just you having this problem, or if this is true with multiple 7950 users.
I guess no one else is using 3 monitors on a 7950 here?

Whenever you unplug any of the 3 monitors, do the other 2 (no matter which port they're connected to) work? Like, if you unplug DVI, suddenly do the other 2 work?

Also, I wonder if it's just you having this problem, or if this is true with multiple 7950 users.

Yes, any two can work together, but in case of three always the DVI has black screen.

I cant seem to boot with anything other than the USB stick... Not sure if it's 7xxx related (I'm using a 7950 ) as it works fine in OSX if I boot via the USB, but I get stuck at the boot0: Done + gibberish text error if I try booting off of the drives.

Any ideas?

That's really strange--you're doing everything right and it's still behaving weirdly.
I'm guessing it's not something obvious like turning the monitor off and back on?

I am running a 7950 with triple monitors (3x 1920x1080). I am having boot issues if I don't boot from USB, but when I do boot from USB all 3 monitors work fine in OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back