Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sory for duble :( post

Hi all i have HD7870 my questions is how to config for moutain lion ? whit out white screen bug i have no internal Graphic Card .. is booting safemode just only ...(asrock p67 pro3) thx for help !!!

Thank you Wundorn for LaunchDaemon idea and script! The shell script is working great for me. I can "Screen Share" into my computer after boot and run the script and my screens come right up.

The problem is that the localboot.plist is not working as it should at boot. It could be that it's happening at the wrong time; or not at all. Any suggestions on troubleshooting the problem and improving your idea? I'd love to document the procedure in my build thread to make it even easier for new 7xxx users.

Is the /Library/LaunchDaemons/localboot.plist process working for others automatically at boot, or only the AppleScript?

First of all, I can confirm that it does work and run the script - I've been using it for over a year for other purposes (as I wrote, to mount a network volume - don't ask why I don't use the accounts pref pane for that, as you'll get a *long* screed about how much AppleShare sucks when used with Fast User Switching, *grumble*.)

Now, as to how to debug it - see the comments I left in there! You'll want to redirect output to a text file that you can examine, to see what kind of errors or other output you're getting. I'll note that I did make a small mistake in that comment (I wrote the comment on the fly), by reversing the order of redirection. Here's what you really want:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# rotate screen twice to overcome white screen startup bug.
# If things aren't working out, you'll need to redirect output to someplace you can
# actually see it, by uncommenting the next line
exec >/tmp/boot.sh.output.txt 2>&1

echo "This proves that this script ran"
/usr/local/bin/fb-rotate -d 0 -r 90
/usr/local/bin/fb-rotate -d 0 -r 0
# Any other startup code can be placed here

Once your system is up, look in the file /tmp/boot.sh.output.txt and you'll see all the output. You can get rid of the echo line once you're satisfied that the script is running. If it's not, then you probably screwed up permissions or ownership on the plist, script, or directories.

Now, moving on from there, here's some speculation:
First, do you have to rotate the screen twice? If you only do the "fb-rotate -d 0 -r 0" command, is it a no-op, or will it work? Try it and let us know.
Next, what is fb-rotate doing that "fixes" the white screen? Clearly, it's issuing some type of reset after the rotation, since the screen dimensions have changed, and that's what's making things work. Now, that might be a consequence of the rotation that you can't cause without the rotation, but maybe it can be caused without the rotation. (I'm also going to guess that a resolution change will work as well as a rotation.)

fb-rotate appears to be open source. Taking a look, I see that there is a "-i" option which might be very interesting. Next time you boot please do "fb-rotate -i" before you fix the white screen and post the results. It's possible we'll see something really anomalous, which would explain why there's no display.

I went a little further, looking for a way to just issue the sort of reset we want. Apple's docs are pretty awful, as least to someone who hasn't looked at them since the days of Inside Mac Vol.5. I did find http://www.opensource.apple.com/sou...amily/IOKit/graphics/IOGraphicsTypesPrivate.h and that suggests that you could modify the source for fb-rotate.c, changing the line reading
Code:
dErr = IOServiceRequestProbe(service, options);
to this:
Code:
dErr = IOServiceRequestProbe(service, kIOFBAVProbe);
...which might or might not cause a reset along the lines we're looking for. If someone with a dev environment set up who also has a whitescreening hack could try that, that would be cool.

Strange, that I can't use 3 monitors with the Radeon HD 7950. I can see the three display trough the remote desktop, but one of the three monitors (DVI-I, HDMI, DP) is black. Any two of them works together, but in case of three the DVI-I is black (I tried it with DVI-I/DSUB or DVI-I/HDMI adapters).

Is it possible using 3 displays in OS X at all?

Is it possible using 3 displays in OS X at all?
Yes, I have seen a build a few months ago, where someone used 6 monitors simultaneously.
But he used 2 or 3 graphics cards, if I remember right.

Yes, I have seen a build a few months ago, where someone used 6 monitors simultaneously.
But he used 2 or 3 graphics cards, if I remember right.

With two GPU I was able to use 3 or more, but is it possible with one?

The only drawback to this is that if you are dual-booting--whether from the same HD or separate one--Windows will always use the Internal graphics if it is set to the primary display. Since we are wanting to eliminate the need to have to constantly reconfigure options, this will add more tedium.

-----------------------

Lucid Virtu MVP 2.0 solves this completely ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxrihGqaqc4

Thanks, Wundorn, for the great response. I'm going to work through everything you suggested and post back my findings. I REALLY appreciate the thought you put into this.

I wasn't able to use Wundorn's method (maybe it was my fault), but yours worked. So thanks mate! :)

AMD Radeon HD 7750 2 GB WORKS OUT OF THE BOX

Motherboard : GA Z77-DS3H rev 1.1
CPU : i5 3570K
Integrated Graphics : Intel HD 4000

MacOS 10.8.3 with sleepEnabler.kext and the GPU is working without any issues in Dual 23 LED Samsung Monitors (Full HD).

Monitor 1 : HDMI to HDMI.
Minotr 2 : DVI to HDMI (cable... not adapter).

Runs smooth without any problem. Activate the integrated vga and the system will boot in "blind mode" until the desktop load.
All working good after sleepEnabler.kext installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back