Contribute
Register

X58 can't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ going bald & fragment7

People on BIOS boards who have no problem loading Windows 8.1 or 10 have already used Clover before, and installed Windows in UEFI mode through Clover.
If you installed Windows 10 first, and then OSX with Clover, then you'll never be able to boot the legacy Win 10. There are even some topics here on this.
You can convert the legacy Win 10 to UEFI Win 10 which Clover will be able to automatically see and boot, but you'll loose the ability to boot Windows without Clover.

see info here
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

If you can boot legacy WIndows 10 through Clover without a separate bootmanager, then please tell me

other people with this problem
https://www.google.de/search?q=****...=gjEVVq_DO8LLyAO03LBQ#q=legacy+windows+clover

Will take a look at the DSDT when I get home tonight - currently on lunch break.

People on BIOS boards cannot install Windows 10 in UEFI mode - there is no UEFI, so automatically you are installing Legacy mode.

This is the first time I have tried Clover on the X58A. No reason before as Chimera/Chameleon was working. I really do not see much difference whether you boot Chimera with the old boot files in MBR/PBR or whether you boot with Clover in Legacy mode. The /Extra folder is replaced with a /EFI folder, the org.chameleon.boot.plist and the smbios.plist get combined into a single config.plist, you can inject graphics and other drivers, you can do DSDT patching on the fly instead of having to extract a DSDT and patch it. I still prefer a separate DSDT, though, as the patches available in Clover do not cover everything I have patched in my DSDT.
The main advantage I see to Clover is the ability to patch a kext on the fly without touching the vanilla one in S/L/E - something that is getting harder to do with Apple's new security initiative.

Will take a look at the DSDT when I get home tonight - currently on lunch break.

People on BIOS boards cannot install Windows 10 in UEFI mode - there is no UEFI, so automatically you are installing Legacy mode.

This is the first time I have tried Clover on the X58A. No reason before as Chimera/Chameleon was working. I really do not see much difference whether you boot Chimera with the old boot files in MBR/PBR or whether you boot with Clover in Legacy mode. The /Extra folder is replaced with a /EFI folder, the org.chameleon.boot.plist and the smbios.plist get combined into a single config.plist, you can inject graphics and other drivers, you can do DSDT patching on the fly instead of having to extract a DSDT and patch it. I still prefer a separate DSDT, though, as the patches available in Clover do not cover everything I have patched in my DSDT.
The main advantage I see to Clover is the ability to patch a kext on the fly without touching the vanilla one in S/L/E - something that is getting harder to do with Apple's new security initiative.

my chameleon mavericks was fine also, but when i migrated to yosemite a 2 weeks ago, i wanted to give imessage a try. so it had to be clover, and saw that the only way to boot el capitan at the time was clover.

Alright, i just Installed Windows 10 through Clover.

I now have 2x Windows 10 installations on 2x separate drives.

On the first drive is my legacy Windows 10, when booted through Clover, will have no Mouse + Keyboard support (on the Windows start manager), and it just hangs on the Windows logo.
Also other stuff booted through here like the Acorns True Image iso while have no mouse and keyboard or fail to boot up.
In msinfo32 it says legacy Bios mode. And i can boot that Windows through the BIOS boot selector.
This Windows was installed without Clover.

On the other drive i have Windows 10 installed through Clover. (Boot the UEFI partition of the install disk, then select the new Windows 10 Partition in EFI mode upon next restart. press space bar for that)
Here Mouse and Keyboard is working in the Windows start manager, and also the Windows boots to the desktop and everything works. In msinfo32 it says UEFI Bios mode. And when I remove the Clover + MacOS partition from the system, and the new Windows drive is selected, it hangs at ‘Verifying DMI Pool Data….’, so it got a disk, but can’t find a bootloader. (since X58 can’t boot the efi files)

This is how it should be.
Clover will be the new virtual EFI/UEFI for your Bios Board.

If the new UEFI Windows booted through EFI Clover will be as stable as the legacy Windows, i can't tell.
Clover is just a virtual layer between the BIOS and the OS, in this case Windows.
We had to heavily modify the DSDT and the MacOS after all for bare compatibility. (Audio/Network/graphics/storage controllers)
I'd have to test this UEFI Windows 10 a few days to see if it's just as stable as my old legacy Windows 10 with a few drivers and games. I imagine there will be problems, Windows is tightly integrated with the BIOS after all, as are it's Overclocking tools from Gigabyte, MSI and co. But currently, i can't find reports that the UEFI Windows on BIOS Boards through Clover is unstable.

Clover has trouble booting legacy OS'es, sometimes the PBR or legacy mode settings help with that, With Linux or Windows 8.1/10 it doesn't. Windows XP/7 maybe.
Anything that's not UEFI and supported via PBR/PBRtest/legacymode will not become bootable.

Windows 10 or 8.1 will be installed in UEFI mode through Clover, as dozens of guides for that state this.

Like this one
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...bios-with-clover-and-dual-boot-with-yosemite/

i don't know why you are overcomplicating things on your side but i have a few questions. does your motherboard support uefi? i heard some x58 has uefi options via firmware update. if then, is your clover in uefi mode or legacy? you might be creating a conflict where there shouldn't be. my x58 is fully bios only and i have everything working with it, be it solely windows or/and with clover combo.

i don't know why you are overcomplicating things on your side but i have a few questions.

overcomplicating?
I'm just stating that A is A and B is B.
Bios boards can only boot FAT32 partitions/MBR, and UEFI boards that and things with *.efi in them i guess. I wouldn't know, i don't have one.
Clover pushes itself between the BIOS and the OS, so there is room for booting things in a virtual EFI i guess. Would be my best guess now, since i never put my hands on it until last Thursday.

And from my tests now, and from other users @ insanelymac, osxarena, and here on tonymac, if you load Clover then most of the BIOS board users can not boot legacy OS'es.

does your motherboard support uefi?
no. It's a BIOS board. Rev. 01, Uses only first Gen Core CPUs, Nethalem + Xeon variants. Power hungry as fuuuu*k

i heard some x58 has uefi options via firmware update if then, is your clover in uefi mode or legacy?
That would be a Rev. 02 board, which had USB3 support, but again, BIOS only board, no EFI/UEFI

Are there X58 boards that have EFI/UEFI options in them?

Why things are so different between boards, i can't tell. I guess first gen X58 boards got the short end of the stick compared with the later X58 boards with USB3 support. Or heavy customized ones like EVGA's.

One thing for sure though, i won't be buying a Gigabyte board again, this thing got on my nerves since day one with it's overclocking instability (this board was hailed as the king of OC at the time), once a month ability to reset the bios on it's own, it's nearly 1 minute bootup time to the drive selection, and it's other quirks. The ASUS boards i had earlier were darn perfect, no bugs.

I guess that may be why i can't use dood's EX58-UD5 DSDTs, maybe he had a Rev.02, while i have a Rev.01

But look at it this way, it's 6 years old now, it's still alive, and the system is lightning fast with the recent OS'es, so i'm not giving up on this piece of scrapmetal, especially since W10 and ElCap run so well.

Good bad mainboard!

we are all wondering =) i just found another issue, but it's not so big of a deal, my dual ethernet ports only runs at 500mbit. i did some testing in windows and el capitan, i'd like to have it running in full speed since i'm backing up time machine on my NAS. i guess, its another dsdt headache patching again. or maybe Going Bald can enlighten us. can't find much info in the forums

SysPref -> Network -> Advanced -> Hardware -> Manual/1000BaseT/full-duplex/MTU 1500 ?

overcomplicating?
I'm just stating that A is A and B is B.
Bios boards can only boot FAT32 partitions/MBR, and UEFI boards that and things with *.efi in them i guess. I wouldn't know, i don't have one.
Clover pushes itself between the BIOS and the OS, so there is room for booting things in a virtual EFI i guess. Would be my best guess now, since i never put my hands on it until last Thursday.

One thing for sure though, i won't be buying a Gigabyte board again, this thing got on my nerves since day one with it's overclocking instability (this board was hailed as the king of OC at the time), once a month ability to reset the bios on it's own, it's nearly 1 minute bootup time to the drive selection, and it's other quirks. The ASUS boards i had earlier were darn perfect, no bugs.

I've had my setup running via Clover since Mavericks. Yeah, it's a little complicated to dual boot with Windows, but i do assure you it works.

For some reason Clover was NEVER able to automatically boot Windows, i had to add the Windows UUID partition manually but this process has been a pain everytime. I always ended up trying UUIDs from the boot generated log but they never worked until i changed something, probably it was the bootmfw.efi.

In the past i've used this guide to dualboot

http://osxarena.com/2015/03/dual-boot-clover-with-windows-macosx-hackintosh/

Regarding the motherboard part, GIGABYTE is GOOD brand, easy to setup and works fine, but it's not advised for overclockers.

SysPref -> Network -> Advanced -> Hardware -> Manual/1000BaseT/full-duplex/MTU 1500 ?

it is set like that, tried a few also, 2nd port disabled/enabled. no go. im gonna restore my mavericks backup from time machine using chimera, and lets see how it goes. but first im gonna boot with my unibeast usb key with my el capitan partition and see how it goes

UPDATE : booted into

Chimera-> yosemite : 1gbit
Clover-> yosemite : 1gbit
Clover-> el capitan : 500mbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back