Contribute
Register

X58 can't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my setup running via Clover since Mavericks. Yeah, it's a little complicated to dual boot with Windows, but i do assure you it works.

For some reason Clover was NEVER able to automatically boot Windows, i had to add the Windows UUID partition manually but this process has been a pain everytime. I always ended up trying UUIDs from the boot generated log but they never worked until i changed something, probably it was the bootmfw.efi.

In the past i've used this guide to dualboot

http://osxarena.com/2015/03/dual-boot-clover-with-windows-macosx-hackintosh/

Regarding the motherboard part, GIGABYTE is GOOD brand, easy to setup and works fine, but it's not advised for overclockers.

Gigabyte not for overclockers? That's not what I've heard-- or experienced. My board will do BLCK 210 reliably, with all 6 DIMM slots populated, with a 6-core Xeon. I keep my daily settings, with all 6 DIMM slots populated, and a 6-core Xeon, with all cores hitting between 4.1 and 4.3 Ghz, and VCore registering around 1.26-1.28 V when it's all cranking at max.

Pretty solid overclocking board... and it's on the UD3-r.

Gigabyte not for overclockers? That's not what I've heard-- or experienced. My board will do BLCK 210 reliably, with all 6 DIMM slots populated, with a 6-core Xeon. I keep my daily settings, with all 6 DIMM slots populated, and a 6-core Xeon, with all cores hitting between 4.1 and 4.3 Ghz, and VCore registering around 1.26-1.28 V when it's all cranking at max.

Pretty solid overclocking board... and it's on the UD3-r.

Again, it's good, but not the best

Yesterday i've tried to patch my DSDT but ended with error 6126 and had to delete every change :rolleyes:

you can do DSDT patching on the fly instead of having to extract a DSDT and patch it. I still prefer a separate DSDT, though, as the patches available in Clover do not cover everything I have patched in my DSDT.
The main advantage I see to Clover is the ability to patch a kext on the fly without touching the vanilla one in S/L/E - something that is getting harder to do with Apple's new security initiative.

I have some questions. I've been running GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 (FF) for a long time with Chameleon, but I'm experimenting with Clover and ElCap on a new drive.

First, what does clover do if there is a DSDT.aml in the patched directory? Does it use that and NOT do any patching found in the DSDT section of the config.plist or does load it and attempt to apply the patches in the plist as well?

Second, I have read and believe that the DSDT files for X58 in the database are not working well with clover and ElCap. So I would like to extract a pure DSDT (using F4 in clover) and apply the minimum amount of patching to get things fully working.

Can we get a concise list of recommended changes? Also, I guess we should note if the changes make it so particular config.plist patches are not needed anymore.

Anyone have a list?

Thanks!

First, what does clover do if there is a DSDT.aml in the patched directory? Does it use that and NOT do any patching found in the DSDT section of the config.plist or does load it and attempt to apply the patches in the plist as well?
I uses the dsdt file, and used the patches in the config, so both.
If you've patched the dsdt correctly, you don't need most of the patches from Clover.

Second, I have read and believe that the DSDT files for X58 in the database are not working well with clover and ElCap. So I would like to extract a pure DSDT (using F4 in clover) and apply the minimum amount of patching to get things fully working.

Can we get a concise list of recommended changes? Also, I guess we should note if the changes make it so particular config.plist patches are not needed anymore.

Anyone have a list?

Thanks!

yes, it's the topic i posted a few times in this thread, dood's mega GA-X58 patch list.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

Gigabyte X58er can consider themselfs a bit lucky, since i haven't found such an extensive patch list for any other motherboard so far than for the EX58 and X58 in that post. Take a saturday off, grab your F4 Clover made dsdt, maciasl, and go through that topic slowly from top to bottom. Half of it is for older Mac OSes and for different CPUs, but i copied a good 20 patches into my dsdt. Just find and replace, and prepare to use the Tab key a lot.

The patches for the EX58 and X58A are the same.

@ RazorX, did you do steps 1-3, there are fixes for the annoying compile errors. Or where is that error?

@GB, thanks. I'll try them out over the weekend. Ordered a new 850 EVO, should come in tomorrow. Currently doing this on my 5400rpm 2.5" drive. sloooooow...
I already use macpro4,1 as per dood's recommendation in his DSDT patch topic. My fingers are itching to try imac14,1 though to test if the USB3 ports can work.

@ fragment7
Realtek driver issues
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287161-new-driver-for-realtek-rtl8111/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...erformance-issues-with-clover-and-el-capitan/

I uses the dsdt file, and used the patches in the config, so both.
If you've patched the dsdt correctly, you don't need most of the patches from Clover.

yes, it's the topic i posted a few times in this thread, dood's mega GA-X58 patch list.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

Gigabyte X58er can consider themselfs a bit lucky, since i haven't found such an extensive patch list for any other motherboard so far than for the EX58 and X58 in that post. Take a saturday off, grab your F4 Clover made dsdt, maciasl, and go through that topic slowly from top to bottom. Half of it is for older Mac OSes and for different CPUs, but i copied a good 20 patches into my dsdt. Just find and replace, and prepare to use the Tab key a lot.

The patches for the EX58 and X58A are the same.

@ RazorX, did you do steps 1-3, there are fixes for the annoying compile errors. Or where is that error?

@GB, thanks. I'll try them out over the weekend. Ordered a new 850 EVO, should come in tomorrow. Currently doing this on my 5400rpm 2.5" drive. sloooooow...
I already use macpro4,1 as per dood's recommendation in his DSDT patch topic. My fingers are itching to try imac14,1 though to test if the USB3 ports can work.

@ fragment7
Realtek driver issues
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287161-new-driver-for-realtek-rtl8111/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...erformance-issues-with-clover-and-el-capitan/

d00d's post did not cover everything you can fix on the X58. He covered the native power management very well, but there are also a few other edits listed at http://macmanx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/minimal-dsdt-edits-for-gigabyte-socket.html . These are the ones I started with back in late 2009/early 2010. d00d's edits for power management I added later. Some of the edits are just cosmetic - renaming the item to the same as Apple uses so it looks the same in IOREG explorer.
If you look at the DSDT I posted to you, USB0-USB5 became UHC1-UHC6 became EHC1-EHC6, USBE became EHC1 became XHC1, USE2 became EHC2 became XHC1.

The X58 boards do not have USB3.0 ports unless they have the Renesas chip and there are no drivers for it since Lion.

EDIT: I will amend that - The Gigabyte X58 boards either have no USB3.0 or it is the Renesas chip. Some later boards may have the AsMedia chip.

See http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...b-3-0-driver-3rd-part-controllers-10-8-x.html for what worked earlier in the OS X version chain.

The X58 boards do not have USB3.0 ports unless they have the Renesas chip and there are no drivers for it since Lion.

Thats where the ASUS U3S6 came in. Sata6 speeds + USB3 for any old PCIE compatible mainboard.

USB3 worked very well in Yosemite and the GenericUSBXHCI.kext, with 180MB/s average.
Only the SATA6 part of the card works in ElCap, instead of 250MB/s on ICH10 i get 460MB/s via the Marvell 88SE9120.

But i'd recommend my second card, the ASMedia 1061, this one supports Trim, the Marvell does not.

edit: indeed it's the uPD720200, here's the Card in Yosemite
Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 19.37.06.png

d00d's post did not cover everything you can fix on the X58. He covered the native power management very well, but there are also a few other edits listed at http://macmanx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/minimal-dsdt-edits-for-gigabyte-socket.html . These are the ones I started with back in late 2009/early 2010. d00d's edits for power management I added later. Some of the edits are just cosmetic - renaming the item to the same as Apple uses so it looks the same in IOREG explorer.
If you look at the DSDT I posted to you, USB0-USB5 became UHC1-UHC6 became EHC1-EHC6, USBE became EHC1 became XHC1, USE2 became EHC2 became XHC1.

Interesting. dood edited his post for the X58 up until Yosemite with Clover support, so most things work well. (besides sleep) are the USB changes purely cosmetic? All USB2 ports work.

View attachment 154914

Try these instead:

View attachment 154911

and also change your system definition to a Mac Pro 4,1 - it is closer than the 5,1 to your hardware.

Scratch what i said last about cosmetic changes, you've changed quite a bit in the DSDT.
Shutdown works well, although it didn't shut down once out of 10 shutdown tries.
Like the one patched via doods manual, but that's ok. Has to be something else.
I've read that the sensor kexts of HWMonitor could cause this as well, and i have em in the Clover/10.11 folder. Or it's something else, who knows.

I've got more than 5 different dsdts now, each one is different; doods, yours, mine, one found on the net, tonymac's database one, etc

Seems like my homework for the next few weeks will make a perfect one out of em all. :p
(speedstep doesn't work in your for example, but in my patched one.)

So thanks, for patching this one.

If you could help out RazerX's as well with his dsdt, then you've shut up the two noisiest people here about not being able to shut down :D

edit: this happen to me a few times as well, and it went away after a reinstall or changing a few boot files.
It also happens with your dsdt

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 8.37.39 PM.png

ICH10 becomes ESB2 AHCI

I don't know why this sometimes happens.

Seems like my homework for the next few weeks will make a perfect one out of em all. :p
(speedstep doesn't work in your for example, but in my patched one.)

So thanks, for patching this one.

If you could help out RazerX's as well with his dsdt, then you've shut up the two noisiest people here about not being able to shut down :D

edit: this happen to me a few times as well, and it went away after a reinstall or changing a few boot files.
It also happens with your dsdt

I did not do the speed step edits as it was not that important to me.
For the ICH label - it is cosmetic and has to be something Apple adds because it does not exist in the DSDT at all. Would need an IOREG of a "real" Mac Pro 4,1 to see where it comes from. Or maybe someone already knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back