Contribute
Register

X58 can't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why you are having this problem. My X58A dual boots just fine - boot Clover to OS X and reboot from OS X to Windows and boot Clover to Windows and reboot to OS X works. OS X sleeps/wakes with no problems - same for Windows. So far longest OS X sleep has been 12 hours and it woke up with a roll of the track ball. No problems with USB ports or audio on wakeup either. Shut down is no problem either - after the screen output that it is shuttin down CPU, display goes black and a few seconds later the power lights turn off and the fans stop. Suspect you have a DSDT problem. Can you boot with NullCPU and extract a DSDT with DPCI Manager, zip it and post it? I will take a look at it.

my DSDT dumped via NullCPU is at Post #20
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/174222-x58-cant-shut-down-2.html#post1114666

Currently i'm using the modifications from dood which works pretty well.
see Post # 73
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/174222-x58-cant-shut-down-8.html#post1117108
Shuts down fast 8 or 9 out 10 times. the remaining 1 or 2 leave the PC on.

@ going bald & fragment7

People on BIOS boards who have no problem loading Windows 8.1 or 10 have already used Clover before, and installed Windows in UEFI mode through Clover.
If you installed Windows 10 first, and then OSX with Clover, then you'll never be able to boot the legacy Win 10. There are even some topics here on this.
You can convert the legacy Win 10 to UEFI Win 10 which Clover will be able to automatically see and boot, but you'll loose the ability to boot Windows without Clover.

see info here
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

If you can boot legacy WIndows 10 through Clover without a separate bootmanager, then please tell me

other people with this problem
https://www.google.de/search?q=****...=gjEVVq_DO8LLyAO03LBQ#q=legacy+windows+clover

So if i have to nuke Windows again, i'll do this differently.

So what i'll do now. Get some spare HDDs, and a fast USB key.
I'll install OSX on HDD 1, and Clover on the ESP and configure it.
Then i'll copy over Clover to the USB FAT32 key, and use it as a boot key.
Then i'll install Windows 10 through Clover, making it a UEFI Windows on this legacy board.

This gives me the ability to deactivate the mac drives to save some power, or the Windows drives.
USB key will detect either mac, or windows, or both.

Negative thing about this is that starting Clover from a USB key is somewhat slower, takes a good 3 to 4 seconds more than from HDD.
But my old EX58 with it's 2 SATA6 expansion cards takes a full 45 seconds to get to the drive select screen, so adding 5 seconds more is well, something manageable.

edit:
OR - easyBCD seems more suitable for a USB key, it can even boot iso files and other tools.
Leaving Cover to instaboot ElCap so i don't hav to see Clover, and i can keep the legacy Windows 10 install untouched.
Oh the possibilities, what too choose...

People on BIOS boards who have no problem loading Windows 8.1 or 10 have already used Clover before, and installed Windows in UEFI mode through Clover.
If you installed Windows 10 first, and then OSX with Clover, then you'll never be able to boot the legacy Win 10. There are even some topics here on this.
You can convert the legacy Win 10 to UEFI Win 10 which Clover will be able to automatically see and boot, but you'll loose the ability to boot Windows without Clover.

That's why i can't boot Windows then, how to covert Windows in legacy?

how did you initially installed windows? with a couple of drives connected?, when i installed windows it was the sole ssd connected to my motherboard,, ive had problems with windows installing its bootmgr on other disk other than the system partition itself so i made myself remember that, and then i installed os x/clover, get things done here and there. then i connected my windows ssd and windows hd data storage, put ntfs.efi in clover folder, restart, boot from windows, restart to os x, vice versa.

how did you initially installed windows? with a couple of drives connected?, when i installed windows it was the sole ssd connected to my motherboard,, ive had problems with windows installing its bootmgr on other disk other than the system partition itself so i made myself remember that, and then i installed os x/clover, get things done here and there. then i connected my windows ssd and windows hd data storage, put ntfs.efi in clover folder, restart, boot from windows, restart to os x, vice versa.

nope, i always install an OS with just one drive in the computer. all others are disconnected. I have some experience with WIndows and it's preference to kill other bootmanagers (and sometimes filesystems)
So which Windows version do you have? legacy or UEFI (see link above)
It's only a msinfo32 away :) If it's legacy you should not be able to boot it via Clover, if it's UEFI then you should not be able to boot the Windows drive directly from the Bios (F12) without Clover.
At least, that's what the manual says...

Gotta admit it, i'm tired of spending the whole day trying to fix this damn hackintosh

Without DSDT i am able to have speedstep working too, so i think i'll just use Easybcd + Clover to boot until this mess cleares a bit

I'm still thinking there's a software bug somewhere

Gotta admit it, i'm tired of spending the whole day trying to fix this damn hackintosh

Without DSDT i am able to have speedstep working too, so i think i'll just use Easybcd + Clover to boot until this mess cleares a bit

I'm still thinking there's a software bug somewhere

Well, you wanted something to thinker with, that's why you got a hackintosh instead of a maintenance-less mac :p

Also i don't think this will be fixed, the X58 are pretty much obsolete, it's all about UEFI since years now.
At first, few people bothered with DSDTs since kexts worked well in Snow Leopard, but seems like it's the only way to go now.

You can bite the bullet in two ways:
- either spend some days/weeks thinkering with that darn dsdt and the various Clover shutdown options, and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch in UEFI mode (or convert it, but Windows updates will likely break the converted bootloader as i read here and there)
- or buy a new mobo with CPU and RAM. Will cost about 800$ for a good enough bundle.

I'd advise against Nr 2, seeming that skylake is just rolling in, and nVidia comes up with their HBM2 cards middle of next year. and the 'ol i7 920/930 is still kicking it, even if the board is a piece of ****

Since ElCap and Win10 are pretty new now, just take the good 'ol format c: & rm -rf / hammers and start from scratch on both now. Provided you get your shutdown rates to acceptable levels, as i said, i (think i) fixed it for me, but it's not always working...

edit: lot'sa spelling errors, forgive me, i'm currently lifting and my hands are shaking a bit. lifting and keyboard typing don't mix, ya know...

Well, you wanted something to thinker with, that's why you got a hackintosh instead of a maintenance-less mac :p

Also i don't think this will be fixed, the X58 are pretty much obsolete, it's all about UEFI since years now.
At first, few people bothered with DSDTs since kexts worked well in Snow Leopard, but seems like it's the only way to go now.

You can bite the bullet in two ways:
- either spend some days/weeks thinkering with that darn dsdt and the various Clover shutdown options, and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch in UEFI mode (or convert it, but Windows updates will likely break the converted bootloader as i read here and there)
- or buy a new mobo with CPU and RAM. Will cost about 800$ for a good enough bundle.

I'd advise against Nr 2, seeming that skylake is just rolling in, and nVidia comes up with their HBM2 cards middle of next year. and the 'ol i7 920/930 is still kicking it, even if the board is a piece of ****

Since ElCap and Win10 are pretty new now, just take the good 'ol format c: & rm -rf / hammers and start from scratch on both now. Provided you get your shutdown rates to acceptable levels, as i said, i (think i) fixed it for me, but it's not always working...

edit: lot'sa spelling errors, forgive me, i'm currently lifting and my hands are shaking a bit. lifting and keyboard typing don't mix, ya know...

I've looked at that DSDT patching link you gave me, but i don't even know where to start, that guide is so messy and unclear :|

Yeah, X58 is getting old, but it's still a kickass CPU/mobo combination, it should be enough for another year atleast

I'll wait a few days hoping for something to pop up

nope, i always install an OS with just one drive in the computer. all others are disconnected. I have some experience with WIndows and it's preference to kill other bootmanagers (and sometimes filesystems)
So which Windows version do you have? legacy or UEFI (see link above)
It's only a msinfo32 away :) If it's legacy you should not be able to boot it via Clover, if it's UEFI then you should not be able to boot the Windows drive directly from the Bios (F12) without Clover.
At least, that's what the manual says...

windows 10 installed from my x58 legacy bios. i can boot from it either from clover or windows alone. maybe because it was an upgrade from w7 as i don't remember having made a w10 install key.

windows 10 installed from my x58 legacy bios. i can boot from it either from clover or windows alone. maybe because it was an upgrade from w7 as i don't remember having made a w10 install key.

Have you tried booting with Easybcd as i suggested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back