Warning/Report: Booting Clover on a real Mac can be dangerous

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by random-name, Aug 16, 2017.

1. johnnyx64

johnnyx64

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:35 AM #31
    johnnyx64

johnnyx64

I've also ordered one solderless efi chip from macunlocks.com couple of days ago for my clover bricked Macbook Air A1466 and it really worked well and saved my Macbook! It also arrived very quickly! I think optionally you can give them the serial number if you want to keep it the same so it doesn't seem compulsory and should not cause any issues as my one now works perfectly!

2. roebeet

roebeet

Motherboard:
    EliteBook 8460p
    CPU:
    I5
    Graphics:
    Intel
    Feb 28, 2018 at 3:07 AM #32
    roebeet

roebeet

Motherboard:
    EliteBook 8460p
    CPU:
    I5
    Graphics:
    Intel
    Same situation here - worked on a friend's MBA with a problematic SSD and booting from a clover-enabled USB HDD enclosure as a test. Once I shutdown I had the sound chime replay constantly with the black screen.

Just ordered the solderless EFI chip tool from macunlocks.com and hoping that does the trick. Can't believe how simple it was to bork the chip on this MBA.

3. Ploddles

Ploddles

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming - rev. 1.0
    CPU:
    i7-8700K
    Graphics:
    RX 580
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Mar 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM #33
    Ploddles

Ploddles

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming - rev. 1.0
    CPU:
    i7-8700K
    Graphics:
    RX 580
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Sod it, I've just done the same, booted by MacBook Pro with the wrong USB stick, the one with Clover on, and am now stuck on the repeated chimes.

I blame Apple though and not my own stupidity. I left it doing the 10.13.4 update and came back to it stuck in a reboot loop. It would boot, say it was installing and then reboot again, repeat ad infinitum.

I'd just done a Carbon Copy Cloner backup (how fortunate was that) so I plugged that back in and booted to that. Ran Disk Utility and it said that the main drive was corrupt but the repair didn't fix it. I therefore decided to erase it and thought I'd do a fresh install to get rid of all the rubbish and start afresh, just retreaving my files from the CCC backup.

Ran upstairs to get my USB install stick but picked up the wrong one, took the clover one rather than the plain one. Oops.......

Thought I'd completely killed it until I came across this thread. Have now ordered a Matt Card from Chipmunk and hoping that sorts it, otherwise it is a very expensive mistake to make.

4. marksx

marksx

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:10 PM #34
    marksx

marksx

I booted clover on a MacBook 4,1 but everything is working. The serial didn’t change etc. however now I noticed some SMC errors being reported in verbose boot. One is related to key BEMB... anyway I downloaded the fw update and reflashed it through the perl script inside the package (the installer won’t apply the update as it was already on the same version). After flashing and rebooting the Mac did something very quickly and rebooted itself. However even resetting the SMC the errors are still there.

5. Kyeristof

Kyeristof

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:57 PM #35
    Kyeristof

Kyeristof

Similar to others, I did same- put wrong usb to my macbook air a1465 mid 2013. At the beginning it was bootloop with chimes, but now somehow it start to run.

Im able to run high sierra installation, but when it come to boot after install it show only glowing folder with question mark. If i run it with option key it show installation usb and efi boot which is clover.

Is there any possibility to update efi to original one? For example run macOS from usb stick and apply sort of update?

6. deanorth

deanorth

Motherboard:
    MSI Z270 Carbon Pro AC
    CPU:
    Kaby Lake I5 7400
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX1060 SSC Gaming
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    May 14, 2018 at 8:41 AM #36
    deanorth

deanorth

Motherboard:
    MSI Z270 Carbon Pro AC
    CPU:
    Kaby Lake I5 7400
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX1060 SSC Gaming
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    thanks for that post... I did this mistake yesterday, on my late 2013 I7/16gb MPB 13.3"... now I just have the blank screen and nothing works:(

7. deanorth

deanorth

Motherboard:
    MSI Z270 Carbon Pro AC
    CPU:
    Kaby Lake I5 7400
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX1060 SSC Gaming
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jun 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM #37
    deanorth

deanorth

Motherboard:
    MSI Z270 Carbon Pro AC
    CPU:
    Kaby Lake I5 7400
    Graphics:
    EVGA GTX1060 SSC Gaming
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    needed to say, macunlocks saved me... now I realise that my old I5/8gb mobo that I thought was dead is in the same state, so I'll order a second chip, and save the second mobo too:)thanks for that hints about macunlocks, really a savior things

8. snobrd4life

snobrd4life

Motherboard:
    GA-H270N-WIFI
    CPU:
    i5 7500 3.4GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA GT1050 2GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jun 10, 2018 at 2:32 AM #38
    snobrd4life

snobrd4life

Motherboard:
    GA-H270N-WIFI
    CPU:
    i5 7500 3.4GHz
    Graphics:
    EVGA GT1050 2GB
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Another confirmed macunlocks fix. The dangers of clover on an external hdd or thumb drive cannot be stressed enough. I had no idea that clover was so toxic to real macs until it was already too late.

9. chrstphrchvz

chrstphrchvz

Motherboard:
    Dell Inspiron 5378
    CPU:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Graphics:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    Aug 10, 2018 at 7:14 AM #39
    chrstphrchvz

chrstphrchvz

Motherboard:
    Dell Inspiron 5378
    CPU:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Graphics:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    If firmware corruption by Clover is suspected, then that should be reported to Clover's developers. However, according to some past posts by Clover developers, it shouldn't be possible for Clover to corrupt firmware (e.g. https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/discussion/1726372/thread/a564fb43/?limit=100#f725). And from looking at their documentation and commit history though, it appears they intend to support Apple hardware; if that's somehow no longer the case, then they should probably have a clear note or warning saying so. (Edit: I have created a thread on their SourceForge forum to alert them to this thread: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/discussion/1726372/thread/a6960a2d/)

I would also mention rEFInd as an alternative customizable bootloader which is both supported and intended for use on Apple hardware; both Clover and rEFInd are forked from rEFIt.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  10. mmcubu1

mmcubu1

Motherboard:
    gigabyte H97M-HD3
    CPU:
    i3-4330
    Graphics:
    Sapphire R9 380 2G Mini DP ITX Compact OC
    Sep 14, 2018 at 5:38 PM #40
    mmcubu1

mmcubu1

Motherboard:
    gigabyte H97M-HD3
    CPU:
    i3-4330
    Graphics:
    Sapphire R9 380 2G Mini DP ITX Compact OC
    hello,
    it just happent to me too with an imac 27 retina.
    i noticed that it starts if i disconnect the display.
    First i tried to start it with another monitor connected to the minidisplay port but was the same (chime loop)
    Then i started it whit no display at all and i did the pram reset (ctrl+alt+p+r) , waited 3 reboots then release the keys and it worked!!!
    :))